WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Astros and Angels
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:51 pm 
Miss Congeniality

Reading this just made my head hurt! That was intense.

Kay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:41 am 

The Angels suffer another embarrassing loss, this time to the lowly Orioles. 10-8 in 16 innings. Tanner Scott gets the win despite surrendering 3 runs in the 15th. Center fielder Stevie Wilkerson pitches a 1-2-3 16th inning and gets the save. The Angels batters must have been exhausted at that point.

Orioles outfielder Stevie Wilkerson gets save, makes history

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:37 pm 
Dumbass

jarnon wrote:
The Angels suffer another embarrassing loss, this time to the lowly Orioles. 10-8 in 16 innings. Tanner Scott gets the win despite surrendering 3 runs in the 15th. Center fielder Stevie Wilkerson pitches a 1-2-3 16th inning and gets the save. The Angels batters must have been exhausted at that point.

Orioles outfielder Stevie Wilkerson gets save, makes history

And the final out was made by Albert Pujols. A decade ago, that would have really been something...

Interesting that the Orioles inserted Chris Davis into the game to play first (and fill the vacated DH spot in the order) once Wilkerson moved to the mound. Davis got a victory when he was pressed into duty in a very long game about 6 years ago. Would have been fun to see a position player who has both a win and a save in emergency pitcher duty...

lb13

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:19 pm 

From a (Very) amateur umpire perspective, here's what we were taught. By the way, the MLB rule at the plate is very similar if not identical to what the NFHS (high school umpire organization) adopted two decades ago.

In the old days, the catcher was coached to have his feet straddling the third base line on plays at the plate. When the rule was changed, the coaching changed. Catchers were taught to keep both feet on one side or the other of the line. If they did that, the runner automatically has a lane to the plate. The catcher should not move across that line until he has possession of the ball. If he follows that guidance, and there is a collision at the plate, the runner is clearly in violation of the slide rule. The runner has a much clearer field of vision coming home, and is presumed to be able to choose his lane early. If Lucroy had crossed the foul line without possession of the ball, the call might be different. As it was, though, to my eye, the runner was clearly in violation.

And given the outcome in terms of injury, I think two games was too lenient. But that's Torre's judgment call, so no argument from me.

The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. -- Richard Feynman, "What do you Care what other People Think?"