Yesterday

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Yesterday

#1 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:18 pm

The movie.

Anybody seen it? I'm thinking of going to see it while out of town on business. I'm traveling alone and don't do much in the evenings other than watch baseball. But the Astros are out west and play late.

So, anyone seen this? I like the premise. It's directed by Danny Boyle, the same guy who directed Slumdog Millionaire.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

silverscreenselect

Re: Yesterday

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:27 pm

BackInTex wrote:The movie.

Anybody seen it? I'm thinking of going to see it while out of town on business. I'm traveling alone and don't do much in the evenings other than watch baseball. But the Astros are out west and play late.

So, anyone seen this? I like the premise. It's directed by Danny Boyle, the same guy who directed Slumdog Millionaire.
It's a romantic comedy with a lot of Beatles songs, most of them sung by Himesh Patel, who has a good voice. And there are some good jokes about what the future without the Beatles would be like. But it's essentially a movie about two people who have been "just friends" for years finally figuring out they love each other.

Odd you mention that because I'm working up the review of this film now for my website. I'm giving it a B.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:46 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
BackInTex wrote:The movie.

It's a romantic comedy with a lot of Beatles songs, most of them sung by Himesh Patel, who has a good voice. And there are some good jokes about what the future without the Beatles would be like. But it's essentially a movie about two people who have been "just friends" for years finally figuring out they love each other.

Odd you mention that because I'm working up the review of this film now for my website. I'm giving it a B.
Sounds like its not worth the $7 the local theater here charges. Guess I'll catch up on Jeopardy and wait until this is free on Netflix or Prime.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 am

silverscreenselect wrote:It's a romantic comedy with a lot of Beatles songs, most of them sung by Himesh Patel, who has a good voice. And there are some good jokes about what the future without the Beatles would be like. But it's essentially a movie about two people who have been "just friends" for years finally figuring out they love each other.
Did you fall asleep for parts of this movie? Your description sounds nothing like others and the promos for the movie.
IMDB wrote:Storyline

In Lowestoft UK, Jack Malik is a frustrated musician whose musical career is going nowhere despite the faith that his friend/manager Ellie Appleton has in him. However, on the night Jack decides to give up, the whole world is momentarily hit with a massive blackout during which Jack is hit by a bus. Upon regaining consciousness, Jack learns to his astonishment that he is apparently now the only one who knows the music of the Beatles. Realizing this improbable opportunity, Jack begins playing the music of the greatest of the rock bands, claiming it as his own. It pays off quickly and Jack becomes a worldwide musical sensation. However, Jack finds himself drifting away from Ellie, only realizing his love for her when she has become intimidated by his success, which depends on a blatant plagiarization that no one could find out. Now, Jack must make a fundamental moral decision about his music to satisfy his conscience as he decides what he truly needs. Written by Kenneth Chisholm
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt807
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:18 am

I wonder if the working title of the movie was "Scrambled Eggs"?
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:01 am

Estonut wrote:Did you fall asleep for parts of this movie? Your description sounds nothing like others and the promos for the movie.
No, I did not fall asleep for parts of the movie. The promos played up the Beatles angle because it's more saleable. And there are a number of good Beatles jokes and Patel does a good job singing. But the romantic comedy aspect of the film is really what it's about, and, depending on your taste for that sort of storyline and what you think of the romantic chemistry between Patel and Lily James, you may or may not enjoy it. It's a variation on the familiar "man gets sudden fame and wonders how it will change his life" combined with the "couple in love who have convinced themselves for perhaps too long that they're just friends" themes.

Even your plot description mentions the romance angle: "However, Jack finds himself drifting away from Ellie, only realizing his love for her when she has become intimidated by his success." This is a very familiar romantic comedy trope, in which the couple appear to be the last two people in the world to figure out they're in love, and they always invent reasons why they shouldn't be with each other, until the end of the movie. I do give this film credit for a terrific surprise cameo that helps Jack get his act together, but it's still the same type of romantic comedy you've seen numerous times before.

And I liked the movie; I'm giving it a B rating (a lot of critics were a lot harsher than me).

Films play up minor aspects of the movie in trailers and downplay other aspects. The trailers now are so detailed that you think you're getting a complete picture of what the movie is about, but often you're not. An example is the current Stuber. What the trailers don't even hint at is that Dave Bautista's character is very nearsighted and just had Lasik surgery before getting a Stuber ride with Kumail Nanjiani (his daughter insists that he download and use the Stuber app). There's quite a few "Mr. Magoo" jokes, since the surgery hasn't taken at the time he gets a new lead on his big case, and part of the reason he doesn't totally beat the stuffings out of some of the bad guys he faces is because he can't see straight. His vision problems are a major plot point throughout the entire movie, but you wouldn't know any of this just by watching the trailer or reading the IMDB plot summaries.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:25 am

Vandal wrote:I wonder if the working title of the movie was "Scrambled Eggs"?

Don't know who else got that, but you KNOW I did.

Much funny. I laugh.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Estonut wrote:Did you fall asleep for parts of this movie? Your description sounds nothing like others and the promos for the movie.
No, I did not fall asleep for parts of the movie. The promos played up the Beatles angle because it's more saleable. And there are a number of good Beatles jokes and Patel does a good job singing. But the romantic comedy aspect of the film is really what it's about, and, depending on your taste for that sort of storyline and what you think of the romantic chemistry between Patel and Lily James, you may or may not enjoy it. It's a variation on the familiar "man gets sudden fame and wonders how it will change his life" combined with the "couple in love who have convinced themselves for perhaps too long that they're just friends" themes.

Even your plot description mentions the romance angle: "However, Jack finds himself drifting away from Ellie, only realizing his love for her when she has become intimidated by his success." This is a very familiar romantic comedy trope, in which the couple appear to be the last two people in the world to figure out they're in love, and they always invent reasons why they shouldn't be with each other, until the end of the movie. I do give this film credit for a terrific surprise cameo that helps Jack get his act together, but it's still the same type of romantic comedy you've seen numerous times before.

And I liked the movie; I'm giving it a B rating (a lot of critics were a lot harsher than me).

Films play up minor aspects of the movie in trailers and downplay other aspects. The trailers now are so detailed that you think you're getting a complete picture of what the movie is about, but often you're not. An example is the current Stuber. What the trailers don't even hint at is that Dave Bautista's character is very nearsighted and just had Lasik surgery before getting a Stuber ride with Kumail Nanjiani (his daughter insists that he download and use the Stuber app). There's quite a few "Mr. Magoo" jokes, since the surgery hasn't taken at the time he gets a new lead on his big case, and part of the reason he doesn't totally beat the stuffings out of some of the bad guys he faces is because he can't see straight. His vision problems are a major plot point throughout the entire movie, but you wouldn't know any of this just by watching the trailer or reading the IMDB plot summaries.
A reviewer I read said that the problem with the romcom formula is that there isn't much regarding the relationship between Jack and Ellie, plus the fact that there wasn't any reason why he should have to give her up in order to sing the Beatles songs.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."