Apollo 11 Thread (50 year anniversary)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Apollo 11 Thread (50 year anniversary)

#1 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Can't believe we don't already have a thread.

This was a good read. What we saw. I hope to do the entire podcast series at some point.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Apollo 11 Thread (50 year anniversary)

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:18 pm

I was a senior to be,, sitting in our Everett apartment with my mom. Can't remember what kind of tv. We weren't rich sorts. But, resolution didn't matter...
Well, then

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:52 pm

Beebs52 wrote:I was a senior to be,, sitting in our Everett apartment with my mom. Can't remember what kind of tv. We weren't rich sorts. But, resolution didn't matter...
We were well in the middle of the middle class. We had a console color t.v. probably a Zenith. Of course all the shots on the moon were b&w, but there was plenty of color from the space center and Cape Canaveral. I only remember watching the the first steps. I'm sure I saw more of the mission but hell, it was like 50 years ago.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 pm

I remember watching the first steps, but, as I was such a young'un, (8years) that's about all I remember. It was all black and white, at least what I remember.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:11 pm

tlynn78 wrote:I remember watching the first steps, but, as I was such a young'un, (8years) that's about all I remember. It was all black and white, at least what I remember.
Damn kids!

I saw it in B&W too because I was at our house at Lake Tahoe and that's the only TV we had.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:I remember watching the first steps, but, as I was such a young'un, (8years) that's about all I remember. It was all black and white, at least what I remember.
Damn kids!

I saw it in B&W too because I was at our house at Lake Tahoe and that's the only TV we had.
The entire world saw it it b&w. No color transmission from the moon on Apollo 11.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Or was it something else altogether...

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:38 pm

My 13th birthday
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:My 13th birthday
Whappersnipper!
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Damn kids!

The entire world saw it it b&w. No color transmission from the moon on Apollo 11.
The broadcast was in color and the Earth scenes, e.g. Mission Control, were in color.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Damn kids!

The broadcast was in color and the Earth scenes, e.g. Mission Control, were in color.
The first steps were not, what T-girl said she remembered in b&w.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 pm

I'm watching 8 Days: To The Moon And Back on PBS. Getting the same chills (probably more) than I got 50 years ago. I understand more now what an achievement it.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Didn't know or remember that Nixon was on the Hornet to greet them when they arrived. At least it looked like him.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:21 am

What in the hell are you guys talking about? There hasn't been a man on the moon in my lifetime....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:54 am

There's a "re-enactment" on YouTube - someone put together audio and video from historical archives to allow people to "watch" the mission in realtime.

"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

SpacemanSpiff

#16 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 am

Time to break out my View Master reels of the moon landing.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

tlynn78

#17 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:40 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Damn kids!

Sorry - I meant the earth-side portions, I don't have a specific memory of seeing that in color. We probably had a b&w tv at that time, as it was shortly after my dad's retirement from the AF, and we were in transitional housing.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Jeemie

#18 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:49 pm

I was two months shy of my second birthday.

If I saw any of it, I don't remember.

Learning about it over the years...still amazed we did it in the days of slide rules and with a computer with less power than the smart watch I'm wearing. And today, we've actually lost the knowledge to build the Saturn V engine- we can't do it anymore.

And how close it came to failure.

A loose valve before launch...the 1202/1201 alarms...them not fully venting the docking tunnel so the LM went long on its landing site causing them to use almost all their fuel to find a safe spot to land...Buzz breaking off the breaker to set the ascent engine to fire (they tripped it again with a felt tip pen)...hell, Snoopy coming within seconds of crashing on the moon during Apollo 10 which would have set the whole program back again.

It was a flight fraught with danger...it still is.
1979 City of Champions 2009