Game #194: Very Supportive Actors

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

Re: Game #194: Very Supportive Actors

#26 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:19 pm

A-22. CARY GRANT = Ethel Barrymore in None but the Lonely Heart (Portrait of Jennie)

Also Jimmy Stewart in Philadelphia Story and Joan Fontaine in Suspicion.

There may be some refinements to it (if it is a correct way to go) but I cannot figure anything out now.

silverscreenselect

#27 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 am

I think you've got it.

Jeff Bridges was in Starman, and he won an Oscar for Crazy Heart, in which one of his co-stars was Robert Duvall.

Marcia Gay Harden was in The Mist, and she won the Oscar for Pollock with Ed Harris.

Sean Connery was in Never Say Never Again, and he won the Oscar for The Untouchables, in which one of his co-stars was Robert De Niro.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

#28 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 am

OK - I will clean everything up in a bit but, just a couple of actors off the top of my head (I am going with the minimum of three but there could be more for each actor). Tip of the cap to TCM which has had a lot of these movies on lately.

A-1. SIDNEY POITIER - supported Shelley Winters in Patch of BLue, K Hepburn in Guess Who's Coming to DInner and Rod Steiger in In the Heat of the Night.

A-2. ED HARRIS - supported Marcia Gay Harden in Pollock, Sally Field in Places of the Heart and Nicole Kidman in The Hours

A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER - Laughton in Private Lives of Henry VIII, Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins and ?

A-5. THEODORE BIKEL - Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady, Susan Hayward in I Want to Live and ?

A-6. WILLIAM POWELL - Jack Lemmon in Mister Roberts, Luise Rainier in Great Ziegfeld and Emil Jannings in Last Command

A-7. DONALD CRISP - Bette Davis in Jezebel, Anne Revere in National Velvet and Paul Muni in Life of Emile Zola

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE - George Sanders in All About Eve, Dean Ajgger in Twelve O'clock High, Burt Lancaster and Shirley Jones in ELmer Gantry

Movies with Oscar winners (adding to sss's list)

Dunkirk - Mark Rylance
Charge of the Light Brigade - Olivia DeHaviland, Donald Crisp and David Niven
Firestarter - Art Carney, George C Scott

franktangredi

#29 Post by franktangredi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am

mellytu74 wrote: Charge of the Light Brigade - Olivia DeHaviland, Donald Crisp and David Niven
Look at the clue for this one again.

silverscreenselect

#30 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:50 am

franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote: Charge of the Light Brigade - Olivia DeHaviland, Donald Crisp and David Niven
This is the 1968 remake of Charge, which featured John Gielgud.

mellytu74

#31 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:19 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
This is the 1968 remake of Charge, which featured John Gielgud.
And Vanessa Redgrave

silverscreenselect

#32 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:31 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
A-17. HUGH MARLOWE - George Sanders in All About Eve, Dean Ajgger in Twelve O'clock High, Burt Lancaster and Shirley Jones in ELmer Gantry
Add Anne Baxter (10 Commandments) to Marlowe's list.

mellytu74

#33 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:36 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Add Anne Baxter (10 Commandments) to Marlowe's list.
No - we add her to Elsa Lanchester.

She won the Oscar for Razor's Edge, not All About Eve.

silverscreenselect

#34 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:37 pm

The China Syndrome had Jack Lemmon, who is the match with William Powell for Mr. Roberts, Jane Fonda, who is the match for Donald Sutherland for Klute, and Michael Douglas, who is the match with Martin Sheen for Wall Street.

silverscreenselect

#35 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Another one for Ten Commandments, it has Yul Brynner who matches with Deborah Kerr for The King and I. The Burt Lancaster movie is The Professionals, which also has Lee Marvin and Jack Palance. The James Stewart movie is Flight of the Phoenix, which also has Peter Finch and Ernest Borgnine.

jarnon

#36 Post by jarnon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:45 pm

WTG Melly! This was a tough Tangredi. First consolidation…

Identify the 36 actors in List A and the 70 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match each actor to three or more movies, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

• 1 actor will be matched to 6 moves
• 2 actors will be matched to 5 movies
• 8 actors will be matched to 4 movies
• 25 actors will be matched to 3 movies

34 movies will be used twice, 8 movies will be used three times, and 1 movie will be used four times.

There will be no alternate answers.

LIST A: ACTORS

*A-1. SIDNEY POITIER
*A-2. ED HARRIS

A-3. In the 1960s, this actor played one role that had earlier been played by Leslie Howard and one role that would later be played by Liev Schreiber.

*A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER

A-5. On Broadway, he originated the male lead in the last musical written by Rodgers and Hammerstein.
THEODORE BIKEL

*A-6. WILLIAM POWELL

A-7. This veteran character actor appeared in films about a real-life Mexican statesman, a real-life German immunologist, a real-life American football coach, and a real-life English queen.
DONALD CRISP

A-8. “I'll tell ya another thing. Frankly, you're beginning to smell. And for a stud in New York, that's a handicap.”
DUSTIN HOFFMAN?

A-9. In a 2016 biopic, this actor played a popular musician who aged into John Cusack.
PAUL DANO

A-10. “I've stood on the shoulders of life and I've never gotten down into the dirt to build, to erect a foundation of my own. I've flown too high on borrowed wings. Everything came too easy”
RALPH FIENNES

A-11. There is strong evidence that this actress’s son - a noted British stage director - was fathered, not by her husband, but by Orson Welles.

A-12. “If I see one more shirttail flapping while I'm captain of this ship - woe betide the sailor; woe betide the OOD; and woe betide the morale officer, I kid you not!”
HUMPHREY BOGART

**A-13. LLOYD NOLAN

A-14. “Go get the butter.”

A-15. His performance in a 2014 film made him the oldest male actor ever nominated for an Oscar – a record that only lasted three years.
ROBERT DUVALL? BRUCE DERN?

A-16. “Guilty! Guilty! My evil self is at that door, and I have no power to stop it!”

A-17. This actor’s one-time father-in-law directed A Night at the Opera; his son is a play-by-play announcer for the Denver Nuggets.
HUGH MARLOWE?

A-18. “My dear girl, anyone with a head that large is welcome in my court. Someone find her some clothes, use the curtains if you must, but clothe this enormous girl.”

A-19. His screen wives have included Julie Christie, Stockard Channing, and Brenda Blethyn.
DONALD SUTHERLAND

A-20. “It was I who first discovered how to make a man impotent by hiding his hat. I was the first one to explain the connection between excessive masturbation and entering politics. It was I who first said that the clitoral orgasm should not be only for women!”

A-21. For his performance as a Chinese warlord, this Armenian-born actor became one of the first five Oscar nominees for Best Supporting Actor.
AKIM TAMIROFF?

*A-22. CARY GRANT

A-23. In 2018, Forbes ranked her as the highest paid African American actress on American television, and the eighth highest overall.
VIOLA DAVIS?

A-24. “I don't think I'm gonna say 'What the f**k' anymore. This thing has gotten way out of control.”
TOM CRUISE

A-25. The final film role of his distinguished career was as the estranged father of the actor in the preceding clue.
JASON ROBARDS

*A-26. ROBERT DE NIRO

A-27. He starred in screen adaptations of Pulitzer Prize-winning plays by Eugene O’Neill, Robert E. Sherwood, and Sidney Kingsley.
CLARK GABLE?

A-28. “We've been paid to look the other way. I came here to take your money. I brought snapshots to show you so I could get your money. I can't do it; I can't take it. 'Cause if I take the money, I'm lost.”

A-29. The son of a blacklisted director, he is – at 6 feet, 6 inches – the tallest actor ever nominated for an Oscar.
JAMES CROMWELL? MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN?

A-30. “Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”
MORGAN FREEMAN

A-31. In 1966, this veteran character actor joined the cast of what would become television’s third longest-running western, but his own run on the show was not nearly as long: he died the following year.
CHARLES BICKFORD

A-32. “Point is, what's so wonderful is that every one of these flowers has a specific relationship with the insect that pollinates it. There's a certain orchid looks exactly like a certain insect so the insect is drawn to this flower, its double, its soul mate, and wants nothing more than to make love to it. And after the insect flies off, spots another soul-mate flower and makes love to it, thus pollinating it. And neither the flower nor the insect will ever understand the significance of their lovemaking. I mean, how could they know that because of their little dance the world lives?”

A-33. Her religious roles included an Anglican nun in the Himalayas and a Catholic nun in the Pacific.
DEBORAH KERR

A-34. “Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service. It was a real choice mission, and when it was over, I never wanted another.”
MARTIN SHEEN

A-35. He received four Emmy awards for a series in which he reprised a role first played on film by an actor in one of the preceding clues.
CAROLL O'CONNOR?

A-36. “We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!”
JACK NICHOLSON

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. The first film to win a competitive Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, it has been cited by Bob Dylan as an inspiration for “Mr. Tambouring Man” and by Kris Kristofferson as an inspiration for “Me and Bobby McGee.”
LA STRADA

B-2. “We can get together ... once in a while, way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, but – “
“Once in a while? Every four f**kin' years?”
“If you can't fix it, Jack, you gotta stand it.”

*B-3. BRIGHT EYES

B-4. “They scold Bilbo and think they've fought the good fight for democracy in this country. They haven't got the guts to go from talking to action. One little action on one little front. Sure, I know it’s not the whole answer, but it’s got to start somewhere, and it's got to start with passion. Not pamphlets, not even your series. It's got to be with people. Rich people, poor people, big and little people. And it's got to be quick.”

B-5. Arguably the most controversial movie of 2017, it received both boos and a standing ovation when it premiered at the Venice Film Festival.

B-6. “You can wipe out an entire generation, you can burn their homes to the ground and somehow they'll still find their way back. But if you destroy their history, you destroy their achievements and it's as if they never existed. That's what Hitler wants and that's exactly what we are fighting for.”
MONUMENTS MEN

*B-7. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE

B-8. “The woman's house was taken from her because she did not pay her taxes. That happens when one is not responsible.”

B-9. Despite its all-star cast, this 1984 thriller was cited by Stephen King as one of the worst films made from one of this novels.
FIRESTARTER

B-10. “It’s showtime!”
ALL THAT JAZZ

B-11. THE GOOD EARTH

B-12. “No one of us can do much. Yet, each of us, perhaps, can catch some gleam of knowledge which, modest and insufficient of itself, may add to man's dream of truth. It is by these small candles in our darkness that we see before us, little by little, the dim outline of that great plan that shapes the universe. And I am among those who think that for this reason, science has great beauty and, with its great spiritual strength, will in time cleanse this world of its evils, its ignorance, its poverty, diseases, wars, and heartaches. Look for the clear light of truth. Look for unknown, new roads. Even when man's sight is keener far than now, divine wonder will never fail him. Every age has its own dreams. Leave, then, the dreams of yesterday. Youth, take the torch of knowledge and build the palace of the future.”
MADAME CURIE

*B-13. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
B-14. THE PROFESSIONALS

B-15. The author of Private Lives took the title of this play and film from a work by the author of “Ozymandias.”

B-16. “The personal life is dead in Russia. History has killed it.”
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO

B-17. UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING

B-18. “You see our grandmother lives in Rosita Beach, see, and she's dying and she’d kinda like to have us be with her when she goes.”
“Otherwise she won’t go.”
IAMMMMW

B-19. Two years after the movie in the preceding clue, a member of its cast was the only woman in this adventure film – as a character who did not exist.
FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX

B-20. “I hope you're not gonna take your skin off. 'Cause I really like skin on a woman.”
COCOON

B-21. This 2011 superhero movie featured a character who made his initial appearance on a radio series in 1936.
THE GREEN HORNET

B-22. “A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack and Coke all morning. She can make you feel high full of the single greatest commodity known to man - promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gait of a beautiful girl. In her smile, in her soul, the way she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay. The supermodels, Willy? That's all they are. Bottled promise. Scenes from a brand new day. Hope dancing in stiletto heels.”

B-23. This movie marked the nexus where A Nous la Liberte meets The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

B-24. “With all my heart, I still love the man I killed.”
THE LETTER

B-25. THE LAST LAUGH

B-26. “I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.”

B-27. The author of the novel Psycho stated that his all-time favorite thriller was this French classic – which must surely have annoyed Hitchcock, who had failed to secure the rights to it.

B-28. I was praying for a cathedral.”
“No, Henry. You were praying for guidance.”
THE BISHOP'S WIFE

B-29. This acclaimed war film marked the dramatic film debut of a member of the most popular boy band of the last decade.
DUNKIRK

B-30. “What happened last night?”
“Well, you got drunk and told my dad I'm pregnant, you revealed you have a 15 year old son named Jorge, and oh, apparently you have the hots for my mom.”

B-31. One of the stars of this period black comedy has called it "a funnier, sex driven All About Eve."

*B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE

B-33. It was the only film to win the Oscar for Best Picture without receiving a single other nomination.
GRAND HOTEL

B-34. “Hi, mum. I know you will be sound asleep. I just want to say that I'm safe. Safe and all the questions have been answered. There are no more dead ends. I found my mother, and she thanks you both for raising me. She understands that you are my family. She's happy, just knowing I'm alive. I found her, but that doesn't change who you are.”

B-35. In between Oscar wins, a distinguished actor found time to direct this adaptation of a classic 19th century American novella.

B-36. “Does he look like a bitch?”
PULP FICTION

B-37. CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE

B-38. “It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.”

*B-39. MY SON JOHN

B-40. “What gift do you think a good servant has that separates them from the others? It’s the gift of anticipation. And I'm a good servant; I'm better than good, I'm the best; I'm the perfect servant. I know when they'll be hungry, and the food is ready. I know when they'll be tired, and the bed is turned down. I know it before they know it themselves.”
GOSFORD PARK

B-41. The supporting cast of this movie included Eliot Ness, Long John Silver, Baloo, and Alfalfa.
THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY

B-42. “You don't shoot cops. Even I know that. Eva knows it. The only one who doesn't seem to know is you.”
“All right, Mama. I'm not going to, I promise you. I'm not going to shoot anyone.”
“I never asked you where all this stuff came from, because I didn't want to hear you lie to me.”

B-43. The actress who won an Oscar for this movie musical shares her first name and last initial with the actress who won a Tony for the original Broadway production. (No wonder I’m constantly mixing them up!)
DREAMGIRLS

B-44. “That sanctuary looks like it's been hosed down with Pepto-Bismol.”
STEEL MAGNOLIAS

B-45. POLLYANNA

B-46. “Hollywood, they make computers scary things. See how this reminds you of a friendly face? That the disk slot is a goofy grin? It's warm and it's playful and it needs to say ‘hello!’”
“The computer in 2001 said ‘hello’ all the time and it still scared the sh*t out of me.”

B-47. The title characters of this 1960 Italian film were played by two French actors, two Italian actors, and a Greek actor.

B-48. “Whenever Mrs. Kissel breaks wind, we beat the dog.”

B-49. It was the first of three films by the director of the movie in Clue B-13 to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Picture.
CLEOPATRA

B-50. “There's a - there's a danger here. These people are dangerous. They're wild. Listen to me. Listen.”
“I have. Now sit down and don't open your mouth again.”

B-51. The climactic moment of this 1955 biopic was the recreation of a television program that aired in February 1953.
I'LL CRY TOMORROW

B-52. PAY IT FORWARD

B-53. This 1939 film – whose cast included many actors who had fled Germany – led Hitler to ban all Warner Brothers productions.
CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY

B-54. “I watched you very carefully. Red light, stop. Green light, go. Yellow light … go very fast.”
STARMAN

*B-55. NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

B-56. “You come in here, scaring people half to death. You steal cars and motorboats, and you cause damage to private property and you threaten the whole community with grievous bodily harm and maybe murder. Now, we ain't going to take any more of that, see? We may be scared – I know I am - but maybe we ain't so scared as you think we are, see? Now you say you're going to blow up the town, huh? Well, I say, all right! You start shooting, and see what happens!”

B-57. GUNGA DIN
*B-58. THE CHINA SYNDROME
*B-59. THE MIST

B-60. “Penguins have very much upset me! Animated, dancing penguins!”
SAVING MR. BANKS

B-61. This 1952 thriller set in China was disavowed by its great German director, who would never make another movie in Hollywood.

B-62. “You just don't like him! You don't like it that he uses a ballpoint pen. You don't like it that he takes threee lumps of sugar in his tea. You don't like it that he likes ‘Frosty the Snowman’ and you are letting that convince you of something that's terrible. Just terrible. Well, I like ‘Frosty the Snowman!’”
DOUBT

B-63. THE BLACK DAHLIA

B-64. “Why was I not made of stone, like thee?”
HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME

B-65. This movie was based on the second Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by the first novelist to win two Pulitzer Prizes.
ALICE ADAMS? THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS?

B-66. “Sure, I've heard of grits. I just never actually seen a grit before.”
MY COUSIN VINNY

B-67. Because of the deletion of one song from the original Broadway score, the two leading ladies of this 1955 musical do not share a single scene.
GUYS AND DOLLS

B-68. “It's all a front. Explorers searched for it for centuries. El Dorado. The Golden City. They thought they could find it in South America, but it was in Africa the whole time.”
BLACK PANTHER

B-69. Reportedly, Tennessee Williams so disliked this movie that he told people lined up outside the theatre to go home.

B-70. “What is your nationality?”
“I’m a drunkard.”
CASABLANCA

TANGREDI:
A listed actor is in a movie with another actor who won Best Supporting Actor or Actress, and who was also in a listed movie.

MATCHES:

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn with James Dunn (B-3. BRIGHT EYES)

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in Airport with Helen Hayes (B-39. MY SON JOHN)

A-22. CARY GRANT in None but the Lonely Heart with Ethel Barrymore (B-7. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE)

A-2. ED HARRIS in Pollock with Marcia Gay Harden (B-59. THE MIST)

A-26. ROBERT DE NIRO in The Untouchables with Sean Connery (B-55. NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN)

A-1. SIDNEY POITIER in A Patch of Blue with Shelley Winters (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)

A-6. WILLIAM POWELL in Mister Roberts with Jack Lemmon (B-58. THE CHINA SYNDROME)

A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER in The Razor’s Edge with Anne Baxter (B-13. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS)

PARTIALS:

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in Hannah and Her Sisters with Michael Caine and Dianne Wiest

A Streetcar Named Desire with Karl Malden (B-45. POLLYANNA)

How Green Was My Valley with Donald Crisp (B-45. POLLYANNA)

Johnny Belinda with Jane Wyman (B-45. POLLYANNA)

A-7. DONALD CRISP in Jezebel with Fay Bainter

A-7. DONALD CRISP in National Velvet with Anne Revere

A-7. DONALD CRISP in The Life of Emile Zola with Joseph Schildkraut

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in All About Eve with George Sanders

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in Twelve O'clock High with Dean Jagger

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in Elmer Gantry with Shirley Jones

Arthur with John Gielgud (B-37. CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE)

City Slickers with Jack Palance (B-14. THE PROFESSIONALS)
Last edited by jarnon on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#37 Post by franktangredi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Good going so far!

On the Actors list, two of the answers with question marks are wrong. The one with two alternates includes the correct answer.

On the Movies list, all of the answers with questions marks are correct.

Not all of the partials will end up being used. I had quite a job avoiding alternate answers on this one, and some of the movies do contain Oscar winners who I couldn't fit in.

jarnon

#38 Post by jarnon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:02 pm

A-26. ROBERT DE NIRO in Goodfellas with Joe Pesci (B-66.MY COUSIN VINNY)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#39 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:03 pm

jarnon wrote:

TANGREDI:
A listed actor is in a movie with another actor who won Best Supporting Actor or Actress, and who was also in a listed movie.
Have we established definitively that this is just supporting actors/actresses?

Even if it is, Morgan Freeman was in Unforgiven with Gene Hackman (Poseidon Adventure). Shelley Winters, Red Buttons, and Jack Albertson were also in Poseidon Adventure.

But then again, so was Ernest Borgnine, who was in Flight of the Phoenix, and Frank said there were no alternates, so that rules that out (and also excludes my other matches for Flight of the Phoenix). But George Kennedy was also in Flight of the Phoenix, so that's the actor from that film.

jarnon

#40 Post by jarnon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm

My God, I just realized this game has 123 matches! Frank, you're diabolical!
franktangredi wrote:On the Movies list, all of the answers with questions marks are correct.
I went back and removed the question marks (correctly I hope).
Last edited by jarnon on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#41 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Have we established definitively that this is just supporting actors/actresses?

Shelley Winters, Red Buttons, and Jack Albertson were also in Poseidon Adventure. But then again, so was Ernest Borgnine, who was in Flight of the Phoenix, and Frank said there were no alternates, so that rules that out (and also excludes my other matches for Flight of the Phoenix).
But now I'm at a loss for Starman. The only actor who won an Oscar who was in Starman was Jeff Bridges, who got the Oscar for Crazy Heart with Robert Duvall. But that was a Best Actor Award, not a supporting actor award.

mellytu74

#42 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Two additions

A-34. MARTIN SHEEN in The Subject Was Roses with Jack Albertson (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)

A-33. DEBORAH KERR in From Here to Eternity with Frank Sinatra (B-67. GUYS AND DOLLS)

And filling in some partials

A-7. DONALD CRISP in The Life of Emile Zola with Joseph Schildkraut (B-49. CLEOPATRA)

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in Twelve O'clock High with Dean Jagger (B-39. MY SON JOHN)

ARE WE LIMITED TO "SUPPORTING" OSCARS?

Because (and I am reminded of this because of a previous Tangredi puzzle) A-31. CHARLES BICKFORD supported Jane Wyman (B-45. POLLYANNA), Jennifer Jones (B-7. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE) and Loretta Young (B-28. THE BISHOP'S WIFE) in their respective Oscar wins - all Best Actress.

Deborah Kerr - supported David Niven ((B-28. THE BISHOP'S WIFE) and Yul Brynner (B-13. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS) in their respective Best Actor wins as well (to go with Sinatra)

mellytu74

#43 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:29 pm

A-25. JASON ROBARDS in Julia with Vanessa Redgrave (B-37. CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE)

mellytu74

#44 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:32 pm

-4. “They scold Bilbo and think they've fought the good fight for democracy in this country. They haven't got the guts to go from talking to action. One little action on one little front. Sure, I know it’s not the whole answer, but it’s got to start somewhere, and it's got to start with passion. Not pamphlets, not even your series. It's got to be with people. Rich people, poor people, big and little people. And it's got to be quick.”

Looked this up for confirmation. It's GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT and it will finish our Donald Crisp/Anne Revere match.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#45 Post by frogman042 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:33 pm

A-14. “Go get the butter.”
Marlon Brando - Last Tango In Paris

A-20. “It was I who first discovered how to make a man impotent by hiding his hat. I was the first one to explain the connection between excessive masturbation and entering politics. It was I who first said that the clitoral orgasm should not be only for women!”
John Carridine - Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex*

A-32. “Point is, what's so wonderful is that every one of these flowers has a specific relationship with the insect that pollinates it. There's a certain orchid looks exactly like a certain insect so the insect is drawn to this flower, its double, its soul mate, and wants nothing more than to make love to it. And after the insect flies off, spots another soul-mate flower and makes love to it, thus pollinating it. And neither the flower nor the insect will ever understand the significance of their lovemaking. I mean, how could they know that because of their little dance the world lives?”
Chris Cooper - Adaptation

A-35. He received four Emmy awards for a series in which he reprised a role first played on film by an actor in one of the preceding clues.
CAROLL O'CONNOR?
More likely Alan Arkin - for portraying Hawkeye Pierce

LIST B: MOVIES

B-26. “I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.”
Parenthood

B-46. “Hollywood, they make computers scary things. See how this reminds you of a friendly face? That the disk slot is a goofy grin? It's warm and it's playful and it needs to say ‘hello!’”
“The computer in 2001 said ‘hello’ all the time and it still scared the sh*t out of me.”
Steve Jobs

B-50. “There's a - there's a danger here. These people are dangerous. They're wild. Listen to me. Listen.”
“I have. Now sit down and don't open your mouth again.”
12 Angry Men

mellytu74

#46 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:40 pm

A-27. CLARK GABLE in GWTW with Hattie McDaniel (B-65. ALICE ADAMS)

Gable's another one with a Best Actor/Actress (Lionel Barrymore - Grand Hotel and Colbert - Cleopatra)

mellytu74

#47 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:46 pm

frogman042 wrote:A-14. “Go get the butter.”
Marlon Brando - Last Tango In Paris

John Carridine - Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex*

And that completes Karl Malden (Streetcar)

and gives us

A-20 JOHN CARRADINE in The Grapes of Wrath with Jane Darwell ((B-3. BRIGHT EYES)

silverscreenselect

#48 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:35 pm

B-27. The author of the novel Psycho stated that his all-time favorite thriller was this French classic – which must surely have annoyed Hitchcock, who had failed to secure the rights to it.
I'm sure this is Diabolique with Simone Signoret. One of the unanswered questions in list A must be Laurence Harvey, who also costerred with Elizabeth Taylor in Butterfield 8 and Julie Christie (Dr. Zhivago) in Darling.

silverscreenselect

#49 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:40 pm

A-3. In the 1960s, this actor played one role that had earlier been played by Leslie Howard and one role that would later be played by Liev Schreiber.
And sure enough, this is it. Liev Schreiber played Laurence Harvey's character in the remake of the Manchurian Candidate.

silverscreenselect

#50 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Chris Cooper was in American Beauty with Kevin Spacey (Pay It Forward)

Robert Duvall was in True Grit with John Wayne (High and Mighty)

John Carradine was in Stagecoach with Thomas Mitchell