If You Build It, They Will Come

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

If You Build It, They Will Come

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:17 am

The Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees will play a major league baseball game on August 13 next season on the site of the Field of Dreams in Iowa. Since the Kevin Costner movie, the field has been maintained as a tourist attraction that has hosted a variety of celebrity and charity games and concerts over the years. MLB will construct an 8,000 seat temporary stadium for the game (something tells me these tickets will be very hard to get). They will also have to reconfigure the existing layout to MLB minimum specifications and presumably install some sort of fence to keep outfielders from running into the corn that's growing in the outfield. The game is a White Sox home game on a Thursday, and the series will resume in Chicago on Saturday and Sunday.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/08/08/new-y ... eld-dreams
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

Re: If You Build It, They Will Come

#2 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:32 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees will play a major league baseball game on August 13 next season on the site of the Field of Dreams in Iowa. Since the Kevin Costner movie, the field has been maintained as a tourist attraction that has hosted a variety of celebrity and charity games and concerts over the years. MLB will construct an 8,000 seat temporary stadium for the game (something tells me these tickets will be very hard to get). They will also have to reconfigure the existing layout to MLB minimum specifications and presumably install some sort of fence to keep outfielders from running into the corn that's growing in the outfield never to be seen again. The game is a White Sox home game on a Thursday, and the series will resume in Chicago on Saturday and Sunday.

Fixed it for you
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:10 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees will play a major league baseball game on August 13 next season on the site of the Field of Dreams in Iowa. Since the Kevin Costner movie, the field has been maintained as a tourist attraction that has hosted a variety of celebrity and charity games and concerts over the years. MLB will construct an 8,000 seat temporary stadium for the game (something tells me these tickets will be very hard to get). They will also have to reconfigure the existing layout to MLB minimum specifications and presumably install some sort of fence to keep outfielders from running into the corn that's growing in the outfield. The game is a White Sox home game on a Thursday, and the series will resume in Chicago on Saturday and Sunday.

Love this. My favorite team playing on the site of my favorite movie.

As I said on Facebook, they gotta get James Earl Jones to be the public address announcer. I'm guessing Kevin Costner will throw out the first pitch. Hopefully no one chokes on a hot dog. Burt Lancaster isn't around anymore to save the day.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:17 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:The Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees will play a major league baseball game on August 13 next season on the site of the Field of Dreams in Iowa. Since the Kevin Costner movie, the field has been maintained as a tourist attraction that has hosted a variety of celebrity and charity games and concerts over the years. MLB will construct an 8,000 seat temporary stadium for the game (something tells me these tickets will be very hard to get). They will also have to reconfigure the existing layout to MLB minimum specifications and presumably install some sort of fence to keep outfielders from running into the corn that's growing in the outfield. The game is a White Sox home game on a Thursday, and the series will resume in Chicago on Saturday and Sunday.

Love this. My favorite team playing on the site of my favorite movie.

As I said on Facebook, they gotta get James Earl Jones to be the public address announcer. I'm guessing Kevin Costner will throw out the first pitch. Hopefully no one chokes on a hot dog. Burt Lancaster isn't around anymore to save the day.
I couldn't bring myself to enjoy a movie that made a hero out of Shoeless Joe Jackson. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:50 am

Bob78164 wrote:I couldn't bring myself to enjoy a movie that made a hero out of Shoeless Joe Jackson. --Bob
There is much questioning of Jackson's level of involvement in the Black Sox scandal. He was not a very intelligent man. His stats and errorless play certainly don't seem to fit the profile of someone trying to throw a game. As this article states, if he was trying to throw games, he did a pretty crappy job.

https://www.history.com/news/did-shoele ... rld-series

I don't know as if I'd say they made a hero of him. My takeaway from the film is that he just wanted to play baseball and was given a second chance. The whole movie was about second chances, and it was masterful in my opinion, how the emotional payoffs increased with each resolution of the various second chances. The final one absolutely devastated me.

At any rate, many accounts seem to indicate that Charles Comiskey was a tight-fisted asshole.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:04 pm

AP sports columnist Paul Newberry wrote a piece a few months ago about how much he hates Field of Dreams.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/ ... ms-is-a-t/

I disagreed with that, where he was as much complaining about the casting as anything.

Today, he listed nine other baseball movies he thinks are dreck, and where they should be played. I have only seen his No. 9, and agree it was pretty bad. The others, I won't be watching, either.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/enter ... 29537.html

But my all-time worst baseball movie is ... "Pride of the Yankees," in which they make zero effort to change Gary Cooper's hair at different ages, and in which he ran to third base and they flipped the film, because he couldn't learn to hit lefty.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:AP sports columnist Paul Newberry wrote a piece a few months ago about how much he hates Field of Dreams.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/ ... ms-is-a-t/
I try to stick to the credo that, when it comes to movies, music, etc., people are entitled to their own opinions. That being said..

..that guy can go poop in his shoe. :lol:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#8 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:23 pm

I got pretty riled up at that piece, too, T-Bone. I have a VHS copy of Field of Dreams which I stood in line a couple of hours for James Earl Jones to sign, and it is magic. The whole thing is just magic.

I grant that Bull Durham is also pretty damn good. When I'm asked what church I attend, I still say The Church of Baseball.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:16 am

Ritterskoop wrote:I got pretty riled up at that piece, too, T-Bone. I have a VHS copy of Field of Dreams which I stood in line a couple of hours for James Earl Jones to sign, and it is magic. The whole thing is just magic.

I grant that Bull Durham is also pretty damn good. When I'm asked what church I attend, I still say The Church of Baseball.
I just know that this summer is suddenly looking a whole lot more interesting for me than it did until about three weeks ago.

And I still can't believe how good Kevin Costner is in baseball movies. Not just Bull Durham, but also For Love of the Game. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#10 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I got pretty riled up at that piece, too, T-Bone. I have a VHS copy of Field of Dreams which I stood in line a couple of hours for James Earl Jones to sign, and it is magic. The whole thing is just magic.

I love Bull Durham without qualification. It is quoted at Casa Sprots almost as much as Christmas Story is. OK, more in the summer. "I can get us a rainout." "It's a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball." "What does that make them, Larry?" "Lollygaggers!" "I give you a gift, you're gonna stand here and show up my pitcher? Run, dummy!" That last, we mostly say "Run, dummy!" without the preface. "These are your cliches. Write them down!" "I'm just here to help the team." "And the good Lord willing, things will work out." "I see great things in baseball. It's our game!" "The ballparks are like cathedrals." "You have to respect a streak." "I'm too old for this shit." "it was the greatest three weeks of my life." "Why's he calling me Meat? I'm the one with the Porsche." "We're dealing with a lot of shit here. Nuke's eyelids are jammed. Carlos needs a live rooster. Live rooster? Live rooster. Nobody knows what to get Millie for a wedding present." "Well, candlesticks always make a nice present. Maybe find out where she's registered. All right? Let's get 'em!"

However, as much as I love it, I have to agree with RedRaider (I'll call him that because he graduated from Texas Tech). It's not a baseball movie. I love it anyway.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

christie1111
11:11

#11 Post by christie1111 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Last week I read Calico Joe by Grisham. Good book but most of his are.

I am making my way through his list.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"