Another Prime series review-The Boys

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Another Prime series review-The Boys

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:40 am

Been watching. It is a screwy gory mess. Not sure bout this. Based on a comic(!?) hah hah. Notchur Archie Betty and Veronica.
Well, then

earendel

Re: Another Prime series review-The Boys

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Been watching. It is a screwy gory mess. Not sure bout this. Based on a comic(!?) hah hah. Notchur Archie Betty and Veronica.
When I heard about this I thought it would be an interesting take on the superhero genre. But after watching the 1st episode I couldn't take any more. Call me old-fashioned or prudish, but there was too much blood and sex for my taste.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:23 pm

earendel wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Been watching. It is a screwy gory mess. Not sure bout this. Based on a comic(!?) hah hah. Notchur Archie Betty and Veronica.
When I heard about this I thought it would be an interesting take on the superhero genre. But after watching the 1st episode I couldn't take any more. Call me old-fashioned or prudish, but there was too much blood and sex for my taste.
It's pretty gross. I may be over watching it. Sorta like Carnivale awhile back.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:49 pm

The theme is reminiscent of the Steelheart trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Bob78164 wrote:The theme is reminiscent of the Steelheart trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. --Bob
Is it gross, too? I mean, there are scenes I would like to unsee/bleach from my head.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Beebs52 wrote:I mean, there are scenes I would like to unsee/bleach from my head.
I just added it to my watchlist thanks to your "recommendation."
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:39 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:I mean, there are scenes I would like to unsee/bleach from my head.
I just added it to my watchlist thanks to your "recommendation."
Enjoy Popclaw. Just sayin'.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:47 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The theme is reminiscent of the Steelheart trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. --Bob
Is it gross, too? I mean, there are scenes I would like to unsee/bleach from my head.
It's certainly quite violent. It's a world where a number of people suddenly, apparently randomly, gained superpowers of varying degrees, and getting the superpowers seems to turn pretty much all of them evil. The book is told from the perspective of someone who joins the vigilantes opposing these people, who's motivated by having watched his father die at the hands of one of them. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
It's certainly quite violent. It's a world where a number of people suddenly, apparently randomly, gained superpowers of varying degrees, and getting the superpowers seems to turn pretty much all of them evil. The book is told from the perspective of someone who joins the vigilantes opposing these people, who's motivated by having watched his father die at the hands of one of them. --Bob
Note my comment to sss above.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#10 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:04 pm

I had The Boys on my list but now, thanks to you guys, I am out.

Currently loving the writing on The Good Wife, though I loathe this new character Blum. But I see why they injected the thing with some spice.

Next up: Dharma and Greg or something like that from yesteryear.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:06 pm

If anyone is looking for something new-ish that is lighter, I recommend both Young Sheldon (it is not a comedy) and The Good Place (more funny, but often darkly so).
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:06 pm

And God Friended Me is pure frosting, with some great discussions about faith along the way.
--------

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Have you watched "Riverdale"?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:40 pm

tlynn78 wrote:

I haven't.
Well, then

tlynn78

#15 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

I haven't.
Archie and the gang ain't what they used to be - especially Mrs. Grundy :shock: :shock: It's on the CW - I watch it on Netflix - it looks like "Nancy Drew" is getting similar treatment on the CW.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:12 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

I haven't.
Archie and the gang ain't what they used to be - especially Mrs. Grundy :shock: :shock: It's on the CW - I watch it on Netflix - it looks like "Nancy Drew" is getting similar treatment on the CW.
Yeah, but is it as gross as A Train's girlfriend?
Well, then

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:If anyone is looking for something new-ish that is lighter, I recommend both Young Sheldon (it is not a comedy) ...
I like Young Sheldon more than I did the last few years of old Sheldon in TBBT. What do you see Young Sheldon as, if not a comedy?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#18 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:If anyone is looking for something new-ish that is lighter, I recommend both Young Sheldon (it is not a comedy) and The Good Place (more funny, but often darkly so).

I LOVE The Good Place. Extremely witty writing and a clever premise..and plot twists you never see coming. I was disappointed to read that the upcoming season on NBC will be its last. I suppose they are showing their wisdom in stopping before they run out of good ideas, but only 4 seasons? Waaahhhh..

I loved The Big Bang Theory, although its last couple of seasons have been a bit lackluster (see above comment about running out of ideas). Therefore I had to watch Young Sheldon, naturally. However, I must confess I am not enamored with it. The young man playing Sheldon is spot on, but I find him insufferably annoying. Yes, I know Sheldon IS insufferably annoying, but as an adult, the other characters can mock him, insult him, etc. while as a child it would come off as cruel and even abusive. If that makes any sense. The character annoys me much more as a child than as an adult. I watched troughout the season but found myself enjoying it less and less...it's doubtful I'll come back for another try.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#19 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:42 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

I haven't.

Don't watch it myself, but from what I gather, the only thing the show and the comics have in common are the town's and the main characters' names.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#20 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
earendel wrote:
It's pretty gross. I may be over watching it. Sorta like Carnivale awhile back.

On the subject of gory shows, there are few gorier than Netflix's Santa Clarita Diet, with Drew Barrymore and Timothy Oliphant, the charming story of an average suburban couple whose lives are upended when the wife suddenly becomes a zombie. The hapless husband tries his best to be supportive of his wife's need for human flesh (she resolves "only to eat bad people") as they both try to carry on a normal life, keep everyone unaware of this turn of events, and avoid determined zombie hunters. Every problem they solve creates a new, even worse one. It's incredibly gory...and incredibly hilarious imo. Dialogue is brilliant. Often the funniest parts are the conversations they have, discussing mundane, everyday things at the same time she's munching on brains or they're storing a body in the freezer for later snacking. It sounds gross..and it is..but it's also very very funny, assuming one has the stomach for it.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#21 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:18 pm

I say Young Sheldon is not a comedy because many episodes are about something: Mary's faith, or the dad's struggles, or gambling addictions, or ...

I don't much like the character of Sheldon, either; I watch for Missy and Meemaw, who win every scene they are in.

Pastor Jeff is also growing on me, and the conversation Sheldon had with the rabbi was just mind-blowing.
--------

Ritterskoop

#22 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:20 pm

We are stuck in this place where half-hour shows = comedy and full-hour shows = drama, and those labels don't work anymore for a lot of shows.

I loathe the word dramedy, but until I can get everyone to say "it's just a good story," I guess that's what we're stuck with.
--------