Roling my eyes...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Roling my eyes...

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Yes, the misspelling is intentional.

Watching the Cardinals' game against Kansas City. Cards have bases loaded, nobody out, rookie Randy Arosarena at the plate. He strikes a ball sharply to the left side. It hits the runner trying to go from second to third (Yadi Molina). The umpires rule that everybody's safe, and the run scores.

All of a sudden it's pandemonium in both the TV and radio booth (I happened to be passing from my car, where I was listening to the radio, to the house, where the TV was on). "Yadi should be out, right? Did the ball hit the fielder's glove? I don't understand?" I'm kind of glad I wasn't listening to the Kansas City feed, although they may have known the rules well enough to get it right.

I can't quote the rule word for word, but it happens often enough that umpires have a signal for when the infield is drawn in in front of the runners. Basically, what it says is, if the ball strikes a runner AFTER passing a fielder other than the pitcher or catcher, it's not an out. It's still a dead ball, but the batter is awarded a hit, and all runners advance one base.

For several minutes after the play, the announcers were polling the people on their team, including Jim Edmonds, a former player, and someone else who was a former major leaguer, and they all said they'd never seen such a play. It just reinforces for me how often players, coaches, and managers don't actually know the rules they're playing by. Hell, even Yadier Molina, who is one of the headiest players I've ever seen, started trotting off the field like he was out, until the dugout yelled at him to stay put.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

CB Bucknor
Merry Man

Re: Roling my eyes...

#2 Post by CB Bucknor » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 pm

See! Even when we get it right, nobody's happy!

So might as well be wrong and start an #UMPSHOW!!!!
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr outta here!!!!!!

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Wow - all my years of watching/covering baseball and I definitely do not recall anything like that.

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:53 pm

mellytu74 wrote:Wow - all my years of watching/covering baseball and I definitely do not recall anything like that.
I guess maybe it doesn't happen as often at the minor/major league level. It certainly does at the youth/high school level.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 am

mellytu74 wrote:Wow - all my years of watching/covering baseball and I definitely do not recall anything like that.
I knew that was the rule, but I don't think I've ever seen it in action. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:13 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Roling my eyes...
I get everything but this reference.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:01 am

Bob78164 wrote:

I've read enough baseball rules quizzes (Especially the ones they used to have in Baseball Digest) to know about that the runner's safe if they're hit behind the infielders, but I'll concur with Bob and melly that I can't ever recall seeing this actually happen in an MLB game. Probably because with a drawn in infield, the shortstop is usually positioned in front of where the runner on second would be, and the first baseman in front of where the runner on first would be... and it's just so unlikely for an untouched ball to hit a runner in that situation.

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:36 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I've read enough baseball rules quizzes (Especially the ones they used to have in Baseball Digest) to know about that the runner's safe if they're hit behind the infielders, but I'll concur with Bob and melly that I can't ever recall seeing this actually happen in an MLB game. Probably because with a drawn in infield, the shortstop is usually positioned in front of where the runner on second would be, and the first baseman in front of where the runner on first would be... and it's just so unlikely for an untouched ball to hit a runner in that situation.

lb13
I've now seen the film. I'm not sure the ball actually was untouched. If an infielder had touched it, would the ball have remained live? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#9 Post by Vandal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:08 am

Estonut wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Roling my eyes...
I get everything but this reference.

It's the equivalent of "taping my watch" in Bored lingo.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster