DC statehood commercials

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

DC statehood commercials

#1 Post by earendel » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:56 am

I don't know why it would be running in Kentucky but I've seen an ad promoting DC statehood. It's run for several days.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

Re: DC statehood commercials

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:01 am

earendel wrote:I don't know why it would be running in Kentucky but I've seen an ad promoting DC statehood. It's run for several days.
Because people in KY (and the other 49 states) can actually do something about making DC a state through their elected representatives. Residents of DC cannot.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:49 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
earendel wrote:I don't know why it would be running in Kentucky but I've seen an ad promoting DC statehood. It's run for several days.
Because people in KY (and the other 49 states) can actually do something about making DC a state through their elected representatives. Residents of DC cannot.
Not very likely - 5 of the 6 members of the House are Republicans, plus we have "Moscow Mitch" and Rand Paul. None of them are likely to be supporters of DC statehood.

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:31 pm

The House Committee on Oversight and Reform had a hearing today about making D.C. a state, which is sparking interest among political folks around the country.

Here's an alternative: Combine D.C., Maryland, Delaware and the Virginia Eastern Shore into a new state called Chesapeake. (I have more out-of-the box ideas that I doubt anybody wants to hear.)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:39 pm

jarnon wrote:The House Committee on Oversight and Reform had a hearing today about making D.C. a state, which is sparking interest among political folks around the country.

Here's an alternative: Combine D.C., Maryland, Delaware and the Virginia Eastern Shore into a new state called Chesapeake. (I have more out-of-the box ideas that I doubt anybody wants to hear.)
I first read this as Cheapskate, which has my full approval as a state name.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Vandal wrote: I first read this as Cheapskate, which has my full approval as a state name.
I want to move there. I could easily get elected governor.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:50 am

jarnon wrote:The House Committee on Oversight and Reform had a hearing today about making D.C. a state, which is sparking interest among political folks around the country.

My suggestion would be to give back the parts of DC that would naturally belong to Virginia or Maryland and create a Federal district that included just the area inside the Beltway.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:01 am

Vandal wrote:

My mother loved to tell about the time she answered "Cheapskate Bay" to a question when she was in grade school. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Vandal wrote:

My mother loved to tell about the time she answered "Cheapskate Bay" to a question when she was in grade school. :roll:
When I was in elementary school and learned the state capitals, I referred to the capital of Wyoming as Cheney, which is how I thought Cheyenne was pronounced.

In retrospect, my answer may not have been all that wrong.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:20 am

earendel wrote:

My suggestion would be to give back the parts of DC that would naturally belong to Virginia or Maryland and create a Federal district that included just the area inside the Beltway.
I believe that the District long ago ceded back the portion of its original territory that once belonged to Virginia, and now does again. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#11 Post by jarnon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:33 am

Bob78164 wrote:
earendel wrote:

I believe that the District long ago ceded back the portion of its original territory that once belonged to Virginia, and now does again. --Bob
As this map shows, the existing D.C. is already inside the Beltway.

If you make a small Federal District, comprising just the downtown office buildings and landmarks, almost all current D.C. residents could vote in Maryland. However, the few Federal District residents would still have 3 presidential electoral votes unless you repealed the 23rd Amendment. So statehood or my Cheapskate proposal are better ideas.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:58 am

jarnon wrote:If you make a small Federal District, comprising just the downtown office buildings and landmarks, almost all current D.C. residents could vote in Maryland. However, the few Federal District residents would still have 3 presidential electoral votes unless you repealed the 23rd Amendment. So statehood or my Cheapskate proposal are better ideas.
After I posted I read an article that spoke about this issue - shrinking the district to a small enclave would be good, but it would then make the residents of that district responsible for those 3 electoral votes. Not being sure, but wouldn't that mean just the president and his (or her) family?

jarnon

#13 Post by jarnon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:16 am

earendel wrote:
jarnon wrote:If you make a small Federal District, comprising just the downtown office buildings and landmarks, almost all current D.C. residents could vote in Maryland. However, the few Federal District residents would still have 3 presidential electoral votes unless you repealed the 23rd Amendment. So statehood or my Cheapskate proposal are better ideas.
After I posted I read an article that spoke about this issue - shrinking the district to a small enclave would be good, but it would then make the residents of that district responsible for those 3 electoral votes. Not being sure, but wouldn't that mean just the president and his (or her) family?
Yes, here's a map:

The Old Post Office is leased until 2073 to Donald J. Trump. So your proposal would have strong GOP support.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#14 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:49 pm

I see no value to the 50 states for creating a new state. I also see no value (in fact, the opposite) for retrocession. If I were a Maryland resident I wouldn't want to add a bunch of state voters who are primarily focused on national issues and couldn't care less about local Maryland issues.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:55 pm

BackInTex wrote:I see no value to the 50 states for creating a new state. I also see no value (in fact, the opposite) for retrocession. If I were a Maryland resident I wouldn't want to add a bunch of state voters who are primarily focused on national issues and couldn't care less about local Maryland issues.
But, as the ad I've seen points out, there are 700,000 or so individuals who are being taxed without representation (they have an "observer" in the House). If there was some way to give them the right to vote and give them full representation without statehood or "retrocession", I would be OK with that.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:11 pm

BackInTex wrote:I see no value to the 50 states for creating a new state. I also see no value (in fact, the opposite) for retrocession. If I were a Maryland resident I wouldn't want to add a bunch of state voters who are primarily focused on national issues and couldn't care less about local Maryland issues.
It's rarely convenient to provide equal representation to possessions. But it's still the right thing to do, at least in this case. I can think of no reason the citizens of D.C. shouldn't have the same rights to representation in our federal government that the states already have. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:57 pm

What gives you the idea that the residents of D.C. are focused on national issues instead of local ones?

It seems that the main problem with giving the residents a vote is that the population is only 36.8% non-Hispanic White.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:53 am

Bob Juch wrote: It seems that the main problem with giving the residents a vote is that the population is only 36.8% non-Hispanic White.
No. However, a real problem is the uneducated electorate (44% of over 24 years of age have less than a high school degree) of D.C. elected Marian Berry to four terms as mayor. Not a good record. Based on that record, would probably continue with the same standards for candidates.

But thanks for continuing to prove you and your party are racist. Everything to you is based on race.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:12 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: It seems that the main problem with giving the residents a vote is that the population is only 36.8% non-Hispanic White.
No. However, a real problem is the uneducated electorate (44% of over 24 years of age have less than a high school degree) of D.C. elected Marian Berry to four terms as mayor. Not a good record. Based on that record, would probably continue with the same standards for candidates.
That's really not all that far from saying you want to impose a literacy test. --Bob

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
That's really not all that far from saying you want to impose a literacy test. --Bob
Wikipedia wrote:A 2007 report found that about one-third of District residents were functionally illiterate, compared to a national rate of about one in five. This is attributed in part to immigrants who are not proficient in English.