California vs. NCAA

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

California vs. NCAA

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:51 am

Governor Newsom has signed the bill allowing athletes at California schools to commercially exploit their names, images, and likenesses (such as by signing endorsement deals) without losing their eligibility for college athletics. The bill passed the Legislature unanimously. It takes effect in 2023. I'm delighted to see it. I hope more states follow suit. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: California vs. NCAA

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:14 am

I've never liked it that college athletes make millions for their schools, and the biggest thing they get out of it is a chance for the pros. OK, that's huge, but I still think the balance has been way out of whack.

One positive, now they can stay in school and still make money. One negative, with endorsements rolling in, why waste time with school. Another negative, is the NCAA going to step in and drop all California schools? Another negative, are student athletes all headed for California?

I don't know the answers. My sense is, that if it takes effect, it will be right at the top of the biggest sports stories of the century.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

flockofseagulls104

#3 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:19 am

It will be a hell of a recruitment incentive. PAC-12 schools will definitely be more competitive. They'll get all the 5 stars.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:33 am

SportsFan68 wrote:I've never liked it that college athletes make millions for their schools, and the biggest thing they get out of it is a chance for the pros. OK, that's huge, but I still think the balance has been way out of whack.

One positive, now they can stay in school and still make money. One negative, with endorsements rolling in, why waste time with school. Another negative, is the NCAA going to step in and drop all California schools? Another negative, are student athletes all headed for California?

I don't know the answers. My sense is, that if it takes effect, it will be right at the top of the biggest sports stories of the century.
The NCAA is not going to drop every school in the nation's second biggest media market. They may threaten to but they won't do it. And if they do, we've got enough schools here to make our own attractive television package, and with the NCAA out of the way, we'll be free to actually pay the best athletes what they're worth in enhanced revenue to the school. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:45 am

Looks like the Pac-12 is going to become the Pac-8 again.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:13 am

After I posted the above, I read an AP article. It says that the NCAA is working on something, no hints what that might be.

But I'll bet money (maybe $5, maybe even $4!) that the NCAA will have something in place very similar which will negate this bill, and long before 2023
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

themanwho

#7 Post by themanwho » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:54 pm

2023 is a long time from now, but I'm glad to see it.
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.