With a name like Boris

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: With a name like Boris

#76 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:51 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Well, well, well. A stopped clock is right twice a day. It turns out there was corruption in Ukraine. --Bob
Oh my! Businessmen are meeting with foreign country entities! The US Energy Secretary is having discussions with and about a foreign country's energy industry.

Bob, just because people who know Trump, who donated to Trump, and are now working to expand their business holdings (which they would do had they donated to Clinton's campaign)...it's kind of what business folks do, does not equate to corruption.

Probably every billionaire in the US donated to either Trump's campaign, Clinton's campaign, or both, and have folks working overseas to increase their own business holding. Nothing to see here.

But go ahead, get excited. The let down will be that much worse for you next November.
They tried to get Ukraine to install new management into its state-run entity so that new management would give them sweetheart deals. Sounds like at a minimum they're running up against the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Perhaps Ukraine will investigate. If not, perhaps the next Attorney General will. Sure sounds like there's an awful lot of swamp-draining to do.

If you're trying to defend this as business as usual, then that's the problem. But I know there's someone who has a plan for that. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#77 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:39 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Slamming a book and a person using shit you drag up from the batphone when you, yourself, have no personal knowledge of either the book or the man. All for the purpose of trying to prevent someone else of maybe acquiring knowledge she might not have had before.
That's what most liberals seem to do. Let other people do their thinking for them. Decide for them what is 'good' and what is 'bad'. It's very easy that way.
The purpose of reviews, whether of books, movies, restaurants, or whatever, is to provide information about something that someone else has not experienced so that they can make an informed decision as to whether to spend their own time and money on it. Mark Levin's book sells for $ 16.59 in hardback and $14.99 on Kindle on Amazon. Before spending that kind of money on any book, I would like to know more about it.

I'll admit that knowing what I know about you and Levin, I suspected his book might be what the reviews indicated. I haven't listened to an entire show of his. Only a few seconds of listening to his ranting is enough. I don't have to eat an entire spoiled food dish to know it's bad.

But here's what I will do for you Flock. I'll make the same offer to you that I make to other people who ask me to write reviews of their books. If you provide me with a copy of Levin's book (or an Amazon gift card covering the price), I'll read it and provide you with a detailed review right here on this Bored. And I'll treat it the same as I do every other book I review and provide an objective review and back up whatever I have to say.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#78 Post by BackInTex » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:49 am

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Well, well, well. A stopped clock is right twice a day. It turns out there was corruption in Ukraine. --Bob
Oh my! Businessmen are meeting with foreign country entities! The US Energy Secretary is having discussions with and about a foreign country's energy industry.

Bob, just because people who know Trump, who donated to Trump, and are now working to expand their business holdings (which they would do had they donated to Clinton's campaign)...it's kind of what business folks do, does not equate to corruption.

Probably every billionaire in the US donated to either Trump's campaign, Clinton's campaign, or both, and have folks working overseas to increase their own business holding. Nothing to see here.

But go ahead, get excited. The let down will be that much worse for you next November.
They tried to get Ukraine to install new management into its state-run entity so that new management would give them sweetheart deals. Sounds like at a minimum they're running up against the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Perhaps Ukraine will investigate. If not, perhaps the next Attorney General will. Sure sounds like there's an awful lot of swamp-draining to do.

If you're trying to defend this as business as usual, then that's the problem. But I know there's someone who has a plan for that. --Bob
I saw no evidence of an FCPA violation. Just a very slanted article speculating and insinuating that what was happening was corrupt.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#79 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:53 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: Slamming a book and a person using shit you drag up from the batphone when you, yourself, have no personal knowledge of either the book or the man. All for the purpose of trying to prevent someone else of maybe acquiring knowledge she might not have had before.
That's what most liberals seem to do. Let other people do their thinking for them. Decide for them what is 'good' and what is 'bad'. It's very easy that way.
The purpose of reviews, whether of books, movies, restaurants, or whatever, is to provide information about something that someone else has not experienced so that they can make an informed decision as to whether to spend their own time and money on it. Mark Levin's book sells for $ 16.59 in hardback and $14.99 on Kindle on Amazon. Before spending that kind of money on any book, I would like to know more about it.

I'll admit that knowing what I know about you and Levin, I suspected his book might be what the reviews indicated. I haven't listened to an entire show of his. Only a few seconds of listening to his ranting is enough. I don't have to eat an entire spoiled food dish to know it's bad.

But here's what I will do for you Flock. I'll make the same offer to you that I make to other people who ask me to write reviews of their books. If you provide me with a copy of Levin's book (or an Amazon gift card covering the price), I'll read it and provide you with a detailed review right here on this Bored. And I'll treat it the same as I do every other book I review and provide an objective review and back up whatever I have to say.
I don't think so. Do it yourself or don't. You've got to earn your way out of the echo chamber.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#80 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:03 am

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

The operative sentences are are right at the top. "Their goal was profits, not politics". Reporters do not speculate on motives, much less state them as fact. And then the oldie but goodie: "according to two people familiar ....". Who are those 2 people? Peter Strzok and James Comey? Hillary Clinton and Adam Schiff? I'm sure they could find plenty of people like you to say whatever is helpful to frame the atory how they wanted it to turn out.
When will you learn to do critical thinking, BWBJ?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#81 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:06 am

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

The operative sentences are are right at the top. "Their goal was profits, not politics". Reporters do not speculate on motives, much less state them as fact. And then the oldie but goodie: "according to two people familiar ....". Who are those 2 people? Peter Strzok and James Comey? Hillary Clinton and Adam Schiff? I'm sure they could find plenty of people like you to say whatever is helpful to frame the atory how they wanted it to turn out.

flockofseagulls104

#82 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:53 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

The operative sentences are are right at the top. "Their goal was profits, not politics". Reporters do not speculate on motives, much less state them as fact. And then the oldie but goodie: "according to two people familiar ....". Who are those 2 people? Peter Strzok and James Comey? Hillary Clinton and Adam Schiff? I'm sure they could find plenty of people like you to say whatever is helpful to frame the story how they wanted it to turn out.

jarnon

#83 Post by jarnon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:01 am

Don’t all administrations promote American business interests? What surprised me is that Trump blamed Perry for Trump’s request for political favors from Ukraine. Then yesterday he threw the Syrian Kurds to the wolves. Years of loyalty mean nothing to Trump.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#84 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: fact. And then the oldie but goodie: "according to two people familiar ....". Who are those 2 people? Peter Strzok and James Comey? Hillary Clinton and Adam Schiff? I'm sure they could find plenty of people like you to say whatever is helpful to frame the atory how they wanted it to turn out.
And when will you learn to think for yourself and not just regurgitate what the right wing throws at you to justify tuning out every news story you don't like. The concept of unnamed sources has been with us for decades, and without it, we wouldn't have had Woodward and Bernstein's Watergate reporting or the Pentagon Papers. Major news organizations have rigorous rules for the use of unnamed sources and require verification and editorial approval. Yes, they make mistakes, more now than in the old days, but their overall track record is very good. And when multiple news agencies report on the same major story, they each verify it independently.

I guess you don't believe it any time a doctor gives you a diagnosis you don't like because every doctor has made a mistake at one time or another. But that's what you do here. If you don't like the story, you just choose not to believe it (even though the vast number of reports on Trump have been borne out). As far as the "profits, not politics," that's a pretty accurate summation of the rest of the paragraph.

tlynn78

#85 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:50 am

BackInTex wrote:

Bingo
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

flockofseagulls104

#86 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:50 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: fact. And then the oldie but goodie: "according to two people familiar ....". Who are those 2 people? Peter Strzok and James Comey? Hillary Clinton and Adam Schiff? I'm sure they could find plenty of people like you to say whatever is helpful to frame the atory how they wanted it to turn out.
And when will you learn to think for yourself and not just regurgitate what the right wing throws at you to justify tuning out every news story you don't like. The concept of unnamed sources has been with us for decades, and without it, we wouldn't have had Woodward and Bernstein's Watergate reporting or the Pentagon Papers. Major news organizations have rigorous rules for the use of unnamed sources and require verification and editorial approval. Yes, they make mistakes, more now than in the old days, but their overall track record is very good. And when multiple news agencies report on the same major story, they each verify it independently.

I guess you don't believe it any time a doctor gives you a diagnosis you don't like because every doctor has made a mistake at one time or another. But that's what you do here. If you don't like the story, you just choose not to believe it (even though the vast number of reports on Trump have been borne out). As far as the "profits, not politics," that's a pretty accurate summation of the rest of the paragraph.
Nice try.
You've said the same thing hundreds of times, in many different ways. It's what you always go back to, when you need to deflect. I guess I'll have to add that one to my signature.

You have admitted (great surprise) that you have no personal experience with Mark Levin, yet you adamantly cling to OTHER PEOPLE'S opinions and take them for the gospel truth. It is not possible that these people have negative bias to the man, yet every republican, in your mind, is guilty of something nefarious. You refuse to even research the possibility that these people, and you, might be mistaken. And you have the nerve to say I don't think for myself?

Answer the remaining question: What is it to you if Sprots reads the Mark Levin book?

silverscreenselect

#87 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:59 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: You have admitted (great surprise) that you have no personal experience with Mark Levin, yet you adamantly cling to OTHER PEOPLE'S opinions and take them for the gospel truth.
I have personal experience with the man. I've heard some of his show on more than one occasion, and it's always the same. Ranting and raving similar to what's on the youtube clip I posted. As far as the opinion of his book is concerned, I've got the opinion of several reviewers who point out the same problem in his research and logic, accompanied by your adamant and ridiculously childish refusal to explain it.

I don't care if Sprots reads the book, other than to say that I would hate for her to waste her time and money just to make you happy.

flockofseagulls104

#88 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:06 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: You have admitted (great surprise) that you have no personal experience with Mark Levin, yet you adamantly cling to OTHER PEOPLE'S opinions and take them for the gospel truth.
I have personal experience with the man. I've heard some of his show on more than one occasion, and it's always the same. Ranting and raving similar to what's on the youtube clip I posted. As far as the opinion of his book is concerned, I've got the opinion of several reviewers who point out the same problem in his research and logic, accompanied by your adamant and ridiculously childish refusal to explain it.

I don't care if Sprots reads the book, other than to say that I would hate for her to waste her time and money just to make you happy.
Oh really? The only time youve seen or heard Mark Levin is in Media Matters snippets, and you know it.
The point is that she asked me. She didn't ask you.
You're scared. That's why you injected yourself. As long as you can believe he's beneath your contempt, you don't have to deal with his ideas. As trump has shown, taking his strategy from the dems, it's much easier defaming people and marginalizing them than debating ideas. That's the ONLY reason Media Matters exists. And that's one reason the press has a hard time dealing with trump. He fights back using the same techniques the dems have used for decades. He makes caricatures of his opponents. That's one reason why it is so far fetched that he's looking for 'dirt' on biden. He doesn' t use dirt. He uses sarcasm.

silverscreenselect

#89 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:35 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Oh really? The only time youve seen or heard Mark Levin is in Media Matters snippets, and you know it.
If you knew what I know, you'd be in far better shape. I have heard parts of Levin's show. A little of it goes a long way.

flockofseagulls104

#90 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:01 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Oh really? The only time youve seen or heard Mark Levin is in Media Matters snippets, and you know it.
If you knew what I know, you'd be in far better shape. I have heard parts of Levin's show. A little of it goes a long way.
Of course you have. Now run along and go play with BJ.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#91 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:27 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:I have just purchased The Fifth Risk and will read it. Is that appropriate? I will tell you what I think of it if I think it is appropriate.
The first thing I've noticed about this book, from reading the prologue, is he puts a lot of conversations in quotes. Conversations that seem like they are very private conversations known to only a few select sources. But there are no footnotes to his book that I can see. No attributions. No references to sources. From where or from whom did he get this information? Is this a work of speculative fiction?
But I will press on.
I didn't spend any money on Unfreedom of the Press; I checked it out at the Library yesterday. I had to wait until then because our library isn't open on Sundays.

I'm not very far along and so far notice lots of paragraphs in quotes, but it doesn't bother me, and I don't believe it indicates anything dubious. Of course, as you mention, it is fully footnoted, but that in itself doesn't add to its credibility.

I haven't read enough of it to discuss it, and so far the only remark I have to offer is that correlation does not mean causation. After I finish the chapter, I'll note where that came from and any other observations I might have.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

jarnon

#92 Post by jarnon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:55 am

The Wall Street Journal wrote:Breaking: Two foreign-born men who helped Rudy Giuliani's efforts to investigate Joe Biden were arrested in the U.S. on charges of violating campaign-finance rules, say people familiar with the matter
This tweet is inexcusable. We foreign-born are just as American as anybody else, and identifying criminals that way is as insulting as calling out their race or religion.

WSJ must have realized their error, because they removed "foreign-born" from the headline of the article on their website.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#93 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:02 am

jarnon wrote:
The Wall Street Journal wrote:Breaking: Two foreign-born men who helped Rudy Giuliani's efforts to investigate Joe Biden were arrested in the U.S. on charges of violating campaign-finance rules, say people familiar with the matter
This tweet is inexcusable. We foreign-born are just as American as anybody else, and identifying criminals that way is as insulting as calling out their race or religion.

WSJ must have realized their error, because they removed "foreign-born" from the headline of the article on their website.
If they were born in Russia or the Ukraine, the countries most involved with the Biden situation, then there could be some relevance. But foreign born in general, no (Ted Cruz is foreign born).

jarnon

#94 Post by jarnon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 am

silverscreenselect wrote:(Ted Cruz is foreign born).
Please don't rub it in (or that he went to Princeton).
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#95 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:04 am

jarnon wrote:

If they were born in Russia or the Ukraine, the countries most involved with the Biden situation, then there could be some relevance. But foreign born in general, no (Ted Cruz is foreign born).
But they were born in Russia.
MSN.COM wrote:Since late 2018, Mr. Fruman and Mr. Parnas have introduced Mr. Giuliani to several current and former senior Ukrainian prosecutors to discuss the Biden case.

Mr. Parnas in July accompanied Mr. Giuliani to a breakfast meeting with Kurt Volker, then the U.S. special representative for Ukraine negotiations. “We had a long conversation about Ukraine,” Mr. Volker wrote in his testimony to House committees last week. During that breakfast, Mr. Giuliani mentioned the investigations he was pursuing into Mr. Biden and 2016 election interference.
MSN.COM wrote:Messrs. Parnas and Fruman also worked to oust the ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch, whom Mr. Trump had removed from her post this spring.

In May 2018, Pete Sessions, at the time a GOP congressman from Texas, sent a letter to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo asking for her removal, saying he had been told Ms. Yovanovitch was displaying a bias against the president in private conversations.

Mr. Sessions told the Journal his letter was in line with a broader concern among members of Congress that the administration wasn’t moving swiftly enough to put new ambassadors in place. He declined to say where his information about the ambassador came from but said he didn’t follow up on his letter and didn’t hear until months later about Mr. Trump’s interest in replacing her.

The indictment references a congressman, identifiable as Mr. Sessions, whose assistance Mr. Parnas sought in “causing the U.S. government to remove or recall the then-U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine.” The indictment says those efforts were conducted “at least in part, at the request of one or more Ukrainian government officials.” Mr. Sessions didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Messrs. Parnas and Fruman told the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project in July that they told Mr. Sessions last year that Ms. Yovanovitch was “bad-mouthing” the president. They later donated to his campaign.

Mr. Trump moved to oust Ms. Yovanovitch this spring after Mr. Giuliani told him that she was undermining him abroad and hindering efforts to investigate Mr. Biden. House committees are seeking Ms. Yovanovitch’s testimony.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#96 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:17 pm

MSN.COM wrote:Since late 2018, Mr. Fruman and Mr. Parnas have introduced Mr. Giuliani to several current and former senior Ukrainian prosecutors to discuss the Biden case.

Mr. Parnas in July accompanied Mr. Giuliani to a breakfast meeting with Kurt Volker, then the U.S. special representative for Ukraine negotiations. “We had a long conversation about Ukraine,” Mr. Volker wrote in his testimony to House committees last week. During that breakfast, Mr. Giuliani mentioned the investigations he was pursuing into Mr. Biden and 2016 election interference. … Messrs. Parnas and Fruman also worked to oust the ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch, whom Mr. Trump had removed from her post this spring.

In May 2018, Pete Sessions, at the time a GOP congressman from Texas, sent a letter to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo asking for her removal, saying he had been told Ms. Yovanovitch was displaying a bias against the president in private conversations.
So, who are the Russians going to roll on, Sessions or Giuliani or both?

jarnon

#97 Post by jarnon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:04 pm

New York magazine wrote:Why did [Giuliani] get involved with Parnas and Fruman, and what did they have to offer? Parnas owns a club called Mafia Rave. He is, amazingly, the less shady of the two. Fruman has ties to Russia mafia figures and runs a company called Fraud Guarantee. If you were looking to undertake an aboveboard investigation into political corruption, those are not the two people you would pick to run it.

What laws Giuliani may have allegedly broken in this process, we don’t know yet. Asked about his work for Parnas’s aptly named firm, Giuliani told the New York Times, “All I can tell you is that most of the Fraud Guarantee work, in fact the Fraud Guarantee work, which — or I should say — I can’t acknowledge it’s Fraud Guarantee, I don’t think.”
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#98 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:35 pm

[quote="New York magazine""]What laws Giuliani may have allegedly broken in this process, we don’t know yet.[/quote]

A semi-legitimate journalist would have added an "if any" after the word laws and not put "allegedly". Giuliani may have allegedly committed murder, rape, incest, and bestiality in the process. We don't know because all of the allegers haven't come up with the allegations yet. Any thing can be alleged (Russian collusion, rape at a high school party, ect.).

A legitimate journalist wouldn't speculate about broken laws unless there was some evidence other than the fact that someone had a meeting.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#99 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:38 pm

BackInTex wrote:[quote="New York magazine""]What laws Giuliani may have allegedly broken in this process, we don’t know yet.
A semi-legitimate journalist would have added an "if any" after the word laws and not put "allegedly". Giuliani may have allegedly committed murder, rape, incest, and bestiality in the process. We don't know because all of the allegers haven't come up with the allegations yet. Any thing can be alleged (Russian collusion, rape at a high school party, ect.).

A legitimate journalist wouldn't speculate about broken laws unless there was some evidence other than the fact that someone had a meeting.[/quote]If only more people on the right applied that standard to bullshit claims like "President Obama was born in Kenya." --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#100 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:[quote="New York magazine""]What laws Giuliani may have allegedly broken in this process, we don’t know yet.

A legitimate journalist wouldn't speculate about broken laws unless there was some evidence other than the fact that someone had a meeting.
If only more people on the right applied that standard to bullshit claims like "President Obama was born in Kenya." --Bob[/quote]

If that's all we got to do, I'll make it happen.
~~ Thomas Jefferson