Amazing what you find when you Google yourself

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Amazing what you find when you Google yourself

#1 Post by gsabc » Tue May 13, 2008 11:35 am

I'm sitting here chuckling. I was looking for my cousin on Google, because the phone number I have for him is incorrect. Just for laughs, I put in my own name, too. GSN is apparently rerunning old WoF episodes, and someone is recapping them over on the Sony boards. Google came up with his recaps for two of my three shows from 1994. The middle one is missing, maybe not shown on GSN.

If anyone is interested, mosey on over to Sony's WoF message board, and search for threads started by Bobby McBride. I'm on the shows for 11/29 and 12/1 for 1994.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

TheCalvinator24

#2 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:54 am

There are some other interesting people out there with my name. Including a guy who portrays George Harrison in a Beatles tribute band, and a woman who, with her husband, manufactures what are apparently the best clown shoes you can get.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:46 pm

If you google me you, you will end up with me but also another photographer's website in San Jose. He goes by Daniel. Actually, we have been aware of each other for the last 20 years. There is no family relationship. He specializes in portraits and weddings.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

nitrah55

#4 Post by nitrah55 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:22 pm

If you Google me, you get:

Me (the majority of hits, I immodestly report)
A Pentacostal minister in New South Wales, Australia
An insurance salesman in Kentucky
I am about 25% sure of this.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue May 13, 2008 1:32 pm

My name is uncommon enough that if you Google me you pretty much get me. I tried using both my short name and my long name.

What I didn't realize is that the Huffington Post has a listing of my campaign donations with my address, which I don't appreciate.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue May 13, 2008 1:37 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:What I didn't realize is that the Huffington Post has a listing of my campaign donations...
How'd you decide on that particular amount, though? :P

Edited to limit quote to the point I intended to comment on.
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Tue May 13, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue May 13, 2008 1:40 pm

You edited your post before I quoted it, didn't you, PSM?

That changes the emphasis somewhat, but ties into the larger question of what "public information" means in the internet age. It's different from when such data was filed away in some obscure courthouse, or something like that.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Tue May 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Googling me produces only one hit about me, and it's a link to an article on the Corps public affairs Web site about my BAM appearance. There are a lot of other links but they're not me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue May 13, 2008 1:46 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:You edited your post before I quoted it, didn't you, PSM?

That changes the emphasis somewhat, but ties into the larger question of what "public information" means in the internet age. It's different from when such data was filed away in some obscure courthouse, or something like that.
I said something nasty, then retracted it.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue May 13, 2008 1:48 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:What I didn't realize is that the Huffington Post has a listing of my campaign donations with my address, which I don't appreciate.
How'd you decide on that particular amount, though? :P
I bought merchandise at a candidate's store, which is counted as a donation. (T-shirts and lawn signs)

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#11 Post by silvercamaro » Tue May 13, 2008 1:54 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: I bought merchandise at a candidate's store, which is counted as a donation. (T-shirts and lawn signs)
Omigod. That probably means that I'm listed somewhere as a contributor to the Kinky Freidman for Governor campaign.

I really needed a talking Kinky 12-inch action figure. He hangs out with Gov. Jesse Ventura and Cruella DeVil, but those two can't get a word in edgewise.

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue May 13, 2008 2:05 pm

silvercamaro wrote:Omigod. That probably means that I'm listed somewhere as a contributor to the Kinky Freidman for Governor campaign.
You're safe for now, SC. This site doesn't care about that gubernatorial campaign.
All calculations are based on public records filed with the FEC of contributions by all individuals totaling more than $200 (and some totaling less than $200) to a single Republican or Democratic presidential campaign or national committee for the 2004 and 2008 election cycles.

ToLiveIsToFly

#13 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Tue May 13, 2008 2:05 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:My name is uncommon enough that if you Google me you pretty much get me. I tried using both my short name and my long name.

What I didn't realize is that the Huffington Post has a listing of my campaign donations with my address, which I don't appreciate.
Can't you thank John McCain for that?

Frankly, though, I'm strongly in favor of political contributions seeing as much of the light of day as possible. Without any kind of meaningful contribution limits, it's about as good as we'll get until someone has the good sense to overturn Buckley v Valeo, which I don't expect in my lifetime.

When I google myself mostly I get the creator of a sleazy reality tv show. Which I think is redundant.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#14 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue May 13, 2008 2:15 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: I bought merchandise at a candidate's store, which is counted as a donation. (T-shirts and lawn signs)
Omigod. That probably means that I'm listed somewhere as a contributor to the Kinky Freidman for Governor campaign.

I really needed a talking Kinky 12-inch action figure. He hangs out with Gov. Jesse Ventura and Cruella DeVil, but those two can't get a word in edgewise.
I totally get your need for the action figure!

fuzzywuzzy

#15 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Tue May 13, 2008 2:40 pm

silvercamaro wrote:

LOL... I love Kinky Freidman...used to watch him when he was a guest on Imus on MSNBC! How are ya SC? How's your weather been? Pretty nasty down there lately... Take care, and tell Miss Annie, and the rest of the camaro clan I said hi!

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

bazodee

#16 Post by bazodee » Tue May 13, 2008 2:50 pm

I believe it's referred to as ego-surfing.

The top hits for my name are for a British voice over artist who also plays a character named Captain Scarlett. Really folks, that's not me.

Then my SuperBAM epsidoes on YouTube come up.

andrewjackson

#17 Post by andrewjackson » Tue May 13, 2008 2:52 pm

Googling my name gets 3,430,000 hits. 3,040,000 if I put "Andrew Jackson" in quotes.

Several of them are not actually about me.

If I put my full name in quotes, I only get one hit. It is a genealogy site run my one of my relatives. I very, very, very seldom use my middle name.

If I put my name in quotes with my middle initial I get 1,510 hits. I don't think any of those are me after a quick scan.
No matter where you go, there you are.

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue May 13, 2008 2:55 pm

andrewjackson wrote:Googling my name gets 3,430,000 hits. 3,040,000 if I put "Andrew Jackson" in quotes.

Several of them are not actually about me.
I hear that other Andrew Jackson did a thing or two of note. 8)

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#19 Post by silvercamaro » Tue May 13, 2008 3:03 pm

[quote="fuzzywuzzy"]

How's your weather been? Pretty nasty down there lately... Take care, and tell Miss Annie, and the rest of the camaro clan I said hi!

Annie and Lizbit say "hi" back. At any rate, they made noises, and I knew what they meant. For today, we are under a "moderate risk" of severe thunderstorms, but it looks as if southeast Oklahoma and northwest Louisiana are getting the heaviest storms so far.

I have been great, and it's getting greater as next week's J! audition adventure gets closer.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#20 Post by silvercamaro » Tue May 13, 2008 3:05 pm

bazodee wrote:I believe it's referred to as ego-surfing.
I stopped Googling my own name rather early, when I discovered that a large number of hits were for "Sister Judith Murphy, the nun from Hell."

That seems like such a terrible thing for my only brother to say about me.

TheConfessor

#21 Post by TheConfessor » Tue May 13, 2008 3:16 pm

earendel wrote:Googling me produces only one hit about me, and it's a link to an article on the Corps public affairs Web site about my BAM appearance. There are a lot of other links but they're not me.
You must not have tried very hard:
http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/nellylunat ... steve.html

I bet there are others.

TheConfessor

#22 Post by TheConfessor » Tue May 13, 2008 3:23 pm

silvercamaro wrote: Omigod. That probably means that I'm listed somewhere as a contributor to the Kinky Freidman for Governor campaign.

I bought my talking Kinky for half price after the election was over.

Last year, I went to see a candidate speak and the organizers told me if I bought their official $20 T-shirt, I'd have to give them my name and address for their donors list. So I declined and instead bought an unofficial $10 T-shirt from a someone else. My suspicion was that the alleged requirement was mostly based on their desire to build their mail / phone / e-mail lists, and I'd be setting myself up for endless solicitations.

fuzzywuzzy

#23 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Tue May 13, 2008 3:23 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
fuzzywuzzy wrote:

I have been great, and it's getting greater as next week's J! audition adventure gets closer.
OMG! Did NOT know this SC! WOO HOO!

When? In LA?

FWH leaves for LA tomorrow evening to help his Mom & Dad with their transition to assisted living.

I am doing my best Riverdance Luck of the Irish Jig for ya SC! :lol:

I will be send <<<<good>>>> your way!

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#24 Post by silvercamaro » Tue May 13, 2008 3:47 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:

OMG! Did NOT know this SC! WOO HOO!

When? In LA?

In Dallas, as a follow-up to January's on-line test. A chance to play the mock game is enough to make me happy.

Tell FWH good luck with his helping the parents move to assisted living. Unless they are unlike every other parent I've encountered, they will want to take at least twice as much stuff as will fit into their new quarters -- and every single thing is essential! It's a treasure!

ghostjmf

#25 Post by ghostjmf » Tue May 13, 2008 4:41 pm

The only "real me"s I can find by Googling me are from the minutes of Sacred Harp singings. I admit I did not (yet) drill zillions of pages down, though (as I would if I was really researching-via-Google a topic; you really do find stuff on page 129 that doesn't show up earlier). When posts to rec.music groups used to show up on Google (they only do spottily now) I did used to show up, but as jmf, not my full name.

Googling me with my middle name gives no results at all. Its hard to believe that all I have to do is put in the middle name to become unique.