Transcript 5/14/2008 Blake Burgard

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/14/2008 Blake Burgard

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed May 14, 2008 9:24 am

Transcript 5/14/2008
Blake Burgard
Santa Barbara, CA

Police Officer

$100
According to superstition, which of the following is commonly considered bad luck?

A: Splashing water
B: Splattering paint
C: Spilling salt
D: Drinking schnapps

$200
Paper eyeglasses with one red and one blue lens are often worn by people watching a what?

A: Tennis match
B: Jazz band
C: Swim meet
D: 3-D movie

$300
What car brand's signature hood ornament depicts a "panthera onca" leaping through the air?

A: Mercedes
B: Jaguar
C: BMW
D: Lexus

$500
What U.S. state's capital city is named after Revolutionary War hero Francis Nash?

A: Virginia
B: Ohio
C; Kentucky
D: Tennessee

$1000
In 2007, Kent Couch made headlines by "flying" 193 miles in a lawn chair attached to balloons primarily filled with what gas?

A: Helium
B: Oxygen
C: Nitrogen
D: Hydrogen

$2000
The Web site www.thefabricofourlives.com was created to support producers of what?

A: Wool
B: Silk
C: Cotton
D: Leather

$4000
Which of these chart-topping albums was recorded by an "American Idol" champion?

A: Some Hearts
B: The Emancipation of Mimi
C: American Idiot
D: Love.Angel.Music.Baby

ATA:
A: 94%
B: 3%
C: 2%
D: 1%

Commercial break

Blake would like to use some of his money to spend some quality time with his dad at a fantasy camp with the California Angels.

$8000
An epistolary novel is written as a series of what?

A: Poems
B: Songs
C: Fairy tales
D: Letters

Blake has no idea, so he calls his friend Wendy. She beats him at trivia night all the times. Right down to the wire, but she answers 100% sure.

$16000
Which of these biopics is about a painter and not a musician?

A: Shine
B: De-Lovely
C: Basquiat
D: Bird

$25000
What U S States' highest point at the top of a 4,973-foot hill called Black Mesa?

A: Nebraska
B: Oklahoma
C: Idaho
D: South Dakota

He thinks it's South Dakota since the Black Hills are in South Dakota. He's not sure and decides to use the 50/50.

50/50

Now he's thinking it's Oklahoma. He's not sure and decides to leave with $16000.

Answers:
$100 C - Spilling salt
$200 D - 3-D movie
$300 C - Jaguar
$500 D - Tennessee
$1000 A - Helium
$2000 C - Cotton
$4000 A - Some Hearts
$8000 D - Letters
$16000 C - Basquiat
$25000 B - Oklahoma

tanstaafl2

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:11 pm

So much for the good runs of late.

Thanks to Tivo I rarely see commercials anymore so the 2K was a bit of a guess and who knows if I would have wasted a lifeline here under the pressure of the hot seat.

No clue on the pop culture Q at 4K. If I waste the ATA at 2K this one costs at least one more lifeline.

At least I know the 8K and 16K without a problem.

Then I get to be my own worst nightmare as I join the geo nitwit ranks at 25K. Aalthough certainly not the easiest question it is one a true "trivialist" should know. Pretty sure it was NOT South Dakota and certainly not Idaho but the 50/50 proves to be no help.

Ugly one for me. Except that I would have gone for it. 25K or bust!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#3 Post by kayrharris » Wed May 14, 2008 6:08 pm

I had it in the transcript at one time, but I see it's not there now.....as I was in the middle of transcripts when my A/C repairman came. I got up to answer the door and show him the problem.

In the meantime, Microsoft updates and automatically restarts my computer, losing everything I had typed in this particular transcript. :shock: That might have contributed to my snippy answer in the "other" trancript thread.

Anyway, his interview at the beginning of the show said his fellow police officers were texting him trivia questions for practice & he was getting most of them wrong!!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 5/14/2008 Blake Burgard

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:06 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500
What U.S. state's capital city is named after Revolutionary War hero Francis Nash?

A: Virginia
B: Ohio
C; Kentucky
D: Tennessee
Kentucky had the potential to be a nasty distractor, as Francis might lead to Frank and Frank might lead to Frankfort.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000
Which of these chart-topping albums was recorded by an "American Idol" champion?

I don't watch "AI", but I would've gotten this just by process of elimination. B was Mariah Carey, C was Green Day, D was Justin Timberlake.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000

Blake has no idea, so he calls his friend Wendy.
Obviously, Blake is not a Bible reader; otherwise, he would've known the Epistles were known as the letters of Paul.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25000
What U S States' highest point at the top of a 4,973-foot hill called Black Mesa?

South Dakota was an evil distractor, and it would've taken me down.

<grumble>®

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu May 15, 2008 5:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Blake Burgard
Santa Barbara, CA

Police Officer
Looked like a young Mr. Clean.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000
The Web site www.thefabricofourlives.com was created to support producers of what?

A: Wool
B: Silk
C: Cotton
D: Leather
Is leather considered a fabric?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000

ATA:
A: 94%
B: 3%
C: 2%
D: 1%
I know it's not B or C (B is by Mariah Carey and C is by Green Day. For some reason I chose A and associated it with Carrie Underwood, which turned out to be correct; in the Hot Seat, however, I'd have used ATA because the 50/50 would probably leave A and D.

Blake has no idea, so he calls his friend Wendy. She beats him at trivia night all the times. Right down to the wire, but she answers 100% sure.
Was she looking it up? In any event, anyone familiar with the Bible should know about the Pauline epistles.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25000

He thinks it's South Dakota since the Black Hills are in South Dakota. He's not sure and decides to use the 50/50.

50/50

Now he's thinking it's Oklahoma. He's not sure and decides to leave with $16000.
No doubt about this one - I learned this in elementary school back in Oklahoma City. It's out in the panhandle on the border with Colorado and New Mexico.

So I'd be at $25K, going for $50K with 50/50, PAF and STQ available.[/i]
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Thu May 15, 2008 5:28 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

Obviously, Blake is not a Bible reader; otherwise, he would've known the Epistles were known as the letters of Paul.
Not all of the Biblical epistles are by Paul - there are three ascribed to John, two ascribed to Peter and one ascribed to Jude. James is often considered an epistle even though it's not in the traditional format; the same for Hebrews, which in older translations such as the KJV is counted among the Pauline epistles.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:58 am

earendel wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

Not all of the Biblical epistles are by Paul - there are three ascribed to John, two ascribed to Peter and one ascribed to Jude. James is often considered an epistle even though it's not in the traditional format; the same for Hebrews, which in older translations such as the KJV is counted among the Pauline epistles.
I know that. I was under time constraints earlier, so I didn't have time to be specific and write "would've known the Epistles of Philippians, I and II Corinthians, Romans, etc..."

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 15, 2008 7:08 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25000

My hunch was that mesa is a southwestern term, so Oklahoma would be the only choice that fit. The name of the specific high point and the elevation would be too obscure for $25K, even when the question writers were in penny-pinching mode.

From http://geology.com/state-high-points.shtml
Nebraska Highest Point: Panorama Point 5,424'
Oklahoma Highest Point: Black Mesa 4,973'
Idaho Highest Point: Borah Peak 12,662'
South Dakota Highest Point: Harney Peak 7,242'
And it's not surprising that Black Mesa is about as far west in the panhandle as you can get and still be in Oklahoma.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Thu May 15, 2008 7:09 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

My hunch was that mesa is a southwestern term, so Oklahoma would be the only choice that fit. The name of the specific high point and the elevation would be too obscure for $25K, even when the question writers were in penny-pinching mode.
Too obscure if you're not from Oklahoma.
MarleysGh0st wrote:From http://geology.com/state-high-points.shtml
Nebraska Highest Point: Panorama Point 5,424'
Oklahoma Highest Point: Black Mesa 4,973'
Idaho Highest Point: Borah Peak 12,662'
South Dakota Highest Point: Harney Peak 7,242'
And it's not surprising that Black Mesa is about as far west in the panhandle as you can get and still be in Oklahoma.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 15, 2008 7:12 am

earendel wrote:Too obscure if you're not from Oklahoma.
Since WE/WEs aren't from Oklahoma, that's too obscure for the show! :P

slam

#11 Post by slam » Thu May 15, 2008 7:29 am

Being at least a WE, that $25K was a bit obscure for me. I could accomplish my own 50/50 by noticed that certainly Idaho has higher mountains than that. I was thinking Mt. Rushmore is probably higher than that but in fact it's around that height (which I just looked up) though SD's highest elevation is between 7,000 and 8,000 feet.

Unfortunately, I'd have no good way to distinguish between Oklahoma and Nebraska on this one. I might 50/50, but I'd expect that to turn out exactly how it did. Or, I'd just take the random guess here and hope to get lucky.

Appa23

#12 Post by Appa23 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:39 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

It was the "Southwestern" concept that made this an easy $25,000 question, if you stopped to reason out the answer. (Interesting that the contestant tried to link the color black, as is "Black Hills" and "Black Mesa", in a possilbe deduction of the answer.)