Parents board flight, forget their child

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Parents board flight, forget their child

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 14, 2008 3:07 pm

Tickets, check. Passports, check. Luggage, check. Baby ... oops.

A family boarded a flight on Monday in westernmost Canada, and forgot their tot at the Vancouver international airport, media said.

The 23-month-old boy's family had just arrived in Canada from the Philippines, but they were forced to repack their overweight bags before catching a connecting flight to Winnipeg, causing them to run late.

In their sprint to the gate, the family became separated.

The boy's father Jun Parreno, told local media he had thought his son was with his wife and the boy's grandparents, who ran ahead. They thought the boy was with his dad.

On the plane, the family members were seated separately and so did not immediately realise they had left the child behind.

Some time later, a security guard found the boy, who speaks no English, wandering near the departure gate, and Air Canada officials tracked down his shocked parents on the flight.

Because the boy was so young, he was not issued a boarding pass and would have sat on a parent's lap during the flight, so airline personnel did not notice a passenger was missing.

According to the Vancouver Sun, airport security found a Tagalog-speaking Air Canada agent who looked after the child while his father flew 2300km back to Vancouver to pick him up and then return to Winnipeg to rejoin the immigrant family on their first day in Canada.

The baby was kept in Air Canada's offices and staff found him some toys, said local media.

"Air Canada took good care of him," Parreno told the daily Winnipeg Free Press upon arrival. "I'm grateful."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#2 Post by ontellen » Wed May 14, 2008 3:24 pm

Well, that's certainly a better outcome than a recent Polish immigrant had at Vancouver airport.

He sat around for about 8 to 10 hours waiting in the wrong place for his mother to meet him. She then went home frustrated. He finally became extremely aggitated and starting throwing chairs around. The RCMP stepped in and tasered him. He died.

This has been a HUGE scandal in Canada for the last few months. There have been many arguments about the safety of tasers.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: Parents board flight, forget their child

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:25 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Tickets, check. Passports, check. Luggage, check. Baby ... oops.

A family boarded a flight on Monday in westernmost Canada, and forgot their tot at the Vancouver international airport, media said.

The 23-month-old boy's family had just arrived in Canada from the Philippines, but they were forced to repack their overweight bags before catching a connecting flight to Winnipeg, causing them to run late.

In their sprint to the gate, the family became separated.

The boy's father Jun Parreno, told local media he had thought his son was with his wife and the boy's grandparents, who ran ahead. They thought the boy was with his dad.

On the plane, the family members were seated separately and so did not immediately realise they had left the child behind.

Some time later, a security guard found the boy, who speaks no English, wandering near the departure gate, and Air Canada officials tracked down his shocked parents on the flight.

Because the boy was so young, he was not issued a boarding pass and would have sat on a parent's lap during the flight, so airline personnel did not notice a passenger was missing.

According to the Vancouver Sun, airport security found a Tagalog-speaking Air Canada agent who looked after the child while his father flew 2300km back to Vancouver to pick him up and then return to Winnipeg to rejoin the immigrant family on their first day in Canada.

The baby was kept in Air Canada's offices and staff found him some toys, said local media.

"Air Canada took good care of him," Parreno told the daily Winnipeg Free Press upon arrival. "I'm grateful."

This would make a great DoND story for vails.......if they are part of his wife's extended family.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 14, 2008 3:33 pm

ontellen says:

About frustrated, chair-throwing airport person:
The RCMP stepped in and tasered him. He died.
He had the bad luck to be frustrated in an airport, & possibly didn't speak great or any English, either. So the RCMP may have thought his tantrum a terrorist ruse. Otherwise, there's absolutely no excuse I can think of to give an electric shock to someone whose medical history you do not know. They probably could have subdued this unarmed (except for the chairs) person "the normal way", by overwhelming person-power.

Tasers started out as a great way to subdue weapon-wielding people without using a weapon yourself. Turns out the taser is a weapon itself; the settings are often faulty, so the shock is greater than intended, or the person is overly susceptable to even a small shock. Even so, if you're threatening people with a gun, knife, etc, you are only getting what you deserve before you do it to them. But in my book, unless the guy with a chair traps me in a corner & starts whamming me with it, the chair is not exactly a weapon.

There's no excuse for shooting an unarmed person with anything, in my book. Just cordon them off 'til they quiet down. Or send in lots of humans, with knowledge of armlocks & carrying a strait jacket or handcuffs, for the subduing.

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:46 pm

"Uh, yeah, that's it -- we forgot him. That's right."
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman