DisneyWorld

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bixby17

DisneyWorld

#1 Post by Bixby17 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Hey, we are thinking of making a last second dash to WDW for Memorial Day weekend. The kids have never been and I found an ok airfare.

Is it completely insane to try to do this over Memorial Day weekend with crowds and all?

Has anyone here stayed at the Swan or Dolphin? We are Starwood members, and it is relatively inexpensive but on property.

Also, if you only had two days to explore, where would you go with a 5 and 8 year old? We wanted to go to WDW while Jessica was still in prime Disney princess age.

TIA.

jaybee

#2 Post by jaybee » Wed May 14, 2008 3:32 pm

If you have 'relatively inexpensive' digs at the Swan or Dolphin, then go for it - They are the premimum on-site rooms.

For ages 5 and 8, Magic Kingdom is a must - that will take a day.

EPCOT is always good, but geared more towards adults although lots of stuff for kids too. MGM has more kid attractions so if it came to one or the other for your second day I'd pick MGM. BTW, the Swan and Dolphin are right next to each other - you can walk to either MGM or EPCOT in 15 minutes or less. There are also boats and busses available. For MGM or EPCOT take the boat, use a bus for Magic Kingdom.

Also a two minute walk away is the Boardwalk - Many places to eat, frequent street theatre AND an ESPN sports bar.

You're not crazy to deal with the crowds - there are few times when WDW is not busy. Since there is no way to see everything in just two days, if you hit a crowded area just skip it and come back another trip.

If you want a nice dinner out at featured restaurants or EPCOT, reserve NOW! Otherwise, places like Boardwalk or some of the hotel restaurants are easier to get into on short notice. The Yacht Club restaurant is a killer.

Have fun!
Jaybee

Bixby17

#3 Post by Bixby17 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:48 pm

jaybee wrote:If you have 'relatively inexpensive' digs at the Swan or Dolphin, then go for it - They are the premimum on-site rooms.

For ages 5 and 8, Magic Kingdom is a must - that will take a day.

EPCOT is always good, but geared more towards adults although lots of stuff for kids too. MGM has more kid attractions so if it came to one or the other for your second day I'd pick MGM. BTW, the Swan and Dolphin are right next to each other - you can walk to either MGM or EPCOT in 15 minutes or less. There are also boats and busses available. For MGM or EPCOT take the boat, use a bus for Magic Kingdom.

Also a two minute walk away is the Boardwalk - Many places to eat, frequent street theatre AND an ESPN sports bar.

You're not crazy to deal with the crowds - there are few times when WDW is not busy. Since there is no way to see everything in just two days, if you hit a crowded area just skip it and come back another trip.

If you want a nice dinner out at featured restaurants or EPCOT, reserve NOW! Otherwise, places like Boardwalk or some of the hotel restaurants are easier to get into on short notice. The Yacht Club restaurant is a killer.

Have fun!
Thanks. I knew that someone here would know the scoop. I made the reservations for the airfare today because it was such a good last minute deal. Jackson's birthday is Saturday, and I am going to put the reservations in a box and wrap them with maybe some sort of Disney goody.

The last couple of years we've rented a place in Austin to stay, but this year we told the kids that we would do something else this summer.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: DisneyWorld

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:07 pm

Bixby17 wrote:Hey, we are thinking of making a last second dash to WDW for Memorial Day weekend. The kids have never been and I found an ok airfare.

Is it completely insane to try to do this over Memorial Day weekend with crowds and all?

Has anyone here stayed at the Swan or Dolphin? We are Starwood members, and it is relatively inexpensive but on property.

Also, if you only had two days to explore, where would you go with a 5 and 8 year old? We wanted to go to WDW while Jessica was still in prime Disney princess age.

TIA.
Be prepared. It will be jam packed. Always is around holidays. Just try not to let any of the frustrated, worn-out, ill-tempered grownups get in the way of a good time.

Do some research. Buy a Birnbaum's Guide to WDW at the bookstore and decide AHEAD OF TIME what you most want to see. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. Waiting until you get to the park to try to fgure out what to see will result in arguments and lots of wasted time. Not that you need to plan everything down to the minute (although I like to leave as little to chance as possible while still having a bit of flexibility), but having at least a few "must sees" will help keep a smile on everyone's face.

This is an excellent website that will also help you plan:

http://www.allearsnet.com/index.html

In addition to info on the parks, they also have menus from every eatery on Disney property, as well as info on all the resort hotels, including Swan & Dolphin. Pictures of the hotels, too//lots of 'em, inside and out.

We won a stay at the Swan a few years ago. I have to say the beds may have been the most comfortable I have ever slept in.
Swan & Dolphin are within walking distance of EPCOT, Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly Disney-MGM studios), the Boardwalk, and the Yacht and Beach Club resorts.

With younguns in tow, The Magic Kingdom is a must. That's where Cinderella's Castle is, and it is the most kid-centric of the 4 main parks. A dining suggestion if your kids are into the Pooh gang: Book the Crystal Palace. It's a buffet where your kids will find the ol' standbys if their non-adventurous, but where the bill of fare for adults is a bit more creative than the typical buffet. And to top it off, Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet, and the ever-popular Tigger come to your table to visit and pose for pics, etc. Nancy and I have been known to go there even when there are no children with us (for one thing, none of the other restaurants are all that special to our way of thinking).

I agree with our friend jaybee..you will want to make advance dining reservations as soon as possible. Some places are already booked as we speak, especially on a holiday weekend. (407)WDW-DINE.

As far as the other parks go, each has something to offer. EPCOT is traditionally adult-skewing, but there are a few kid-friendly attractions as well. On the whole, however, it is probally the least appealing to young ones. Animal Kingdom has a wonderful new stage musical based on "Finding Nemo", as well as one based on "The Lion King" and, of course, ANIMALS aplenty, and Hollywood Studios has some of my favorite Disney attractions, including my all-time fave, "Fantasmic!". Like I said, research is the key to getting the most out of your stay.

I sound like a Disney commercial.

If you'd like any specific attraction advice/warnings once you've settled on the parks you want to visit, just ask. Pea will tell you, I am just a wee bit exuberant when it comes to being a "travel advisor" for the Disney parks :lol:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bixby17

#5 Post by Bixby17 » Wed May 14, 2008 7:12 pm

I've been to every park at WDW except the Magic Kingdon (last time we went with no kids and figured we'd save that for them).

So, for ages 5 and 8, what are the attractions you need to hit first at the Magic Kingdom?

MarleysGh0st

Re: DisneyWorld

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 14, 2008 7:20 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote: I sound like a Disney commercial.
You'd make a great Disney commercial, T-Bone! :)

Maybe when you've got the whole clan together down there on your next trip!

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 14, 2008 7:26 pm

Bixby17 wrote: So, for ages 5 and 8, what are the attractions you need to hit first at the Magic Kingdom?
I'm not sure about the height requirements on some of the others, but I'd definitely recommend seeing PhilharMagic; it's a great 3-D movie that doesn't have any scary moments, as their other 3-D movies do. Pirates of the Caribbean, of course...

And as a Gh0st, I have to put in a good word for the Haunted Mansion. :twisted:

(OK, it's not one of the big headliners, any more. At least the line moves quickly, so you don't have much of a wait.)

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Magic Kingdom and Magic Kingdom

Don't waste the trip with the other parks, if you are going for the kids.

Two days over Memorial Day weekend will be just enough to do that park justice only, with the kids and not trying to be speed racer from attraction to attraction.

Take the above advice and plan, plan, plan. Get a map before hand. Plan you routes.

Take advantage of the Fast Pass. When we were there you could only get one per ticket until 30 minutes before the previous one expired.

Did I say plan? Get a fast pass, at 30 minutes of get your next one. Then stroll over the the expiring pass, ride the ride and do what you can inbetween the next pass.

Take time to sit and enjoy the park. Let the kids walk at their own pace and play, even if it just amoung some ducks.

If you want a second park MGM or Animal Kingdom. What you could do is Magic Kingom all day the first day. Then Animal Kingdom the next morning doing as much as you can until lunch. Eat lunch there then go back to the Magic Kingdom (you'll need a hopper pass) for the rest of the day.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bixby17

#9 Post by Bixby17 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:09 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bixby17 wrote: So, for ages 5 and 8, what are the attractions you need to hit first at the Magic Kingdom?
I'm not sure about the height requirements on some of the others, but I'd definitely recommend seeing PhilharMagic; it's a great 3-D movie that doesn't have any scary moments, as their other 3-D movies do. Pirates of the Caribbean, of course...

And as a Gh0st, I have to put in a good word for the Haunted Mansion. :twisted:

(OK, it's not one of the big headliners, any more. At least the line moves quickly, so you don't have much of a wait.)
As a kid, I loved the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. :)

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Bixby17 wrote:I've been to every park at WDW except the Magic Kingdon (last time we went with no kids and figured we'd save that for them).

So, for ages 5 and 8, what are the attractions you need to hit first at the Magic Kingdom?
Adventureland--Pirates of the Caribbean (unless they are easily scared. It is dark at times and there are a couple of cannon booms). The enchanted Tiki Room is not a must see, although the kids may be amused by it. I love thew Jungle Cruise, but the cornball jokes will fly over kids' heads, they will likely find it boring.

Frontierland--Country Bear Jamboree has not dated well. If you've been to Chuck E. Cheese's, you've pretty much seen the extent of this show's technology.

Liberty Square--Haunted Mansion is not as scary as it sounds, but if they are easily frightened, stay away. Again, it is dark and spooky in a G-rated sorta way.

Fantasyland--this is undoubtedly where you will be stuck..er..I mean, spending a great deal of time. Most of these rides are the same as you'd find in a garden variety amusement park, but because the names of Disney characters are attached, kids "HAVE TO, JUST HAVE TO RIDE THEM, MOM". If the kids are set on riding Dumbo first, ride it first thing in the morning, otherwise it's a 2-hour wait for a simple kiddie ride.
The Pooh ride is cute, and It's a Small World and Peter Pan's Flight are classics, and one of my favorite WDW attractions, "Mickey's Philharmagic", is an absolute MUST. It's a 3-D movie that's both technically impressive and hilarious, especially for those of us who are fans of the duck named Donald.

Toontown fair has a kiddie coaster (Goofy's Barnstormer) and walkthrough exhibits like Mickey's and Minnie's houses, and a tent where you can meet the big cheese himself. We never spent much time there but, depending on your kids, you may want to. It's more looking at stuff than actually DOING something.

Tomorrowland--Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin is a ridethrough shooting gallery. If your kids like Toy Story and videogame typee stuff they will love this, otherwise it's skippable. I'd advise skipping Stich's Great Escape, as it has been known to scare the pants off little ones, even though it's toned down considerably from when it was "Alien Encounter". At one point the area you sit in goes completely dark. Do the kids like "Monsters Inc."? Then they'll probably like the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. It's an audience participation show that Nancy and I got a big kick out of when we saw it last year.

There's the afternoon parade that is pure Disney, as is the nightime fireworks show "Wishes", although attending that show is dependent on your kids' bedtimes. If they are the hardy type, seeing the fireworks go off behind the castle is a memory that will never fade. Also, if the kids are still active and it happens to be running that particular day, the night time parade "Spectromagic" (totally different from the daytime parade) is extremely recommended..it puts a lump in my throat every time. All of the floats and performers are lit up brighter than Christmas Trees.

Give my regards to the Mouse!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Wed May 14, 2008 8:36 pm

Besides Birnbaum, I would hunt down a copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW by Bob Sehlinger. Indispensible for anyone with limited time but wanting to hit all the high points. My favorite section is the "Dumbo in a Day or Die" page, where you do all the major rides and shows in the Magic Kingdom in one frenetic day. I've never actually done it, mind you, but I love the name.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Bixby17

#12 Post by Bixby17 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:56 am

Thanks all, (esp T-Bone) for the great tips.

I need to measure how tall Jessica is but I think she is over 40 inches tall. The kids are game for a lot of things, though I regret taking Jessica to the Egypt motion ride at the Luxor in Vegas because it was way too intense. She was brave but she was mad at how scary it was.

jsuchard

#13 Post by jsuchard » Thu May 15, 2008 8:39 am

Bixby17 wrote:I need to measure how tall Jessica is but I think she is over 40 inches tall.
If she is close to a height limit for any rides you think she may enjoy, use this tip:

Get some cheap platform sandals (or shoes with really thick soles). It's even OK if they are so tall that you think it's dangerous to walk in them. Carry them in your backpack or purse, and slip them on Jessica's feet when you get close to a point where she will be measured, but obviously before the Disney cast member sees you doing it. Nobody makes your kid remove their shoes for the measuring, so she'll pass right on through.
* Either Arglebargle IV or someone else.

Appa23

#14 Post by Appa23 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:02 am

Bixby17 wrote:Thanks all, (esp T-Bone) for the great tips.

I need to measure how tall Jessica is but I think she is over 40 inches tall. The kids are game for a lot of things, though I regret taking Jessica to the Egypt motion ride at the Luxor in Vegas because it was way too intense. She was brave but she was mad at how scary it was.
IIRC, Jessica is about 5 1/2 years old. If so, then she likely is well over 40 inches tall, if she has an average stature. My daughter just turned six, is in the 3rd percentile or lower for height, and she is over 40 inches tall.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#15 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:18 pm

Bixby17 wrote:Thanks all, (esp T-Bone) for the great tips.

I need to measure how tall Jessica is but I think she is over 40 inches tall. The kids are game for a lot of things....
If this is true they may enjoy Splash Mountain and/or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, both in Frontierland. Splash Mountain is a mostly tame run through a "Song of the South" scenario until the finale, a steep drop down into water. BTMRR is a fast paced coaster with sharp turns but not really any big climbs or drops. It was my favorite ride back in the days when I could get in and out of the ride vehicle, and I'm not one for the intense thrill rides. Medium thrills, ok, but none of the "throw up one of your lungs" attractions, thenkyewverramussh.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#16 Post by sunflower » Thu May 15, 2008 4:44 pm

Fast passes rock, get those where you can!

Go online and check park hours...if you can go when there are extended hours you might be able to beat the crowds. Also if you go in reverse order in the park you'll be able to fight the crowds for at least a couple hours.

I would also suggest the water parks for kids that age? And the character breakfast, if you can get in, definitely.

Bixby17

#17 Post by Bixby17 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:24 am

I think our plan is Epcot Sunday because of the early magic hours that day, and MK on Monday. Depending on how the kids are doing, we might take a look see at MGM too in the afternoon just for a few things, because it is easy to get there on the boat from the resorts on our side of WDW.

I figure if we do Epcot first, then MK the next day will blow their minds.

Reservations at a lot of food places are out because this is a last minute trip. I got reserves at the San Angel Inn in Mexico mostly for the air conditioning and the break--my kids are very interested in world travel, so Epcot is the best we can do in the short run.

Also, I read that Disney sells expensive "passports" that the kids can get stamped at each country at Epcot. Is there an online one that you can make from home? I'm sure that I'm not the first person to have such a thought.

Has anyone bought or seen the talking Mickey Mouse stuffed animal that gives you guide information around the parks? I saw it in a guidebook. Is it any good? My kids love love love stuffed animals and it sounds like a way to deal with standing in line boredom, but only if it is pretty good. Otherwise, it just seems like something expensive that just might be a pain to lug around and have the kids fight over.

(I will check back later with any thoughts people have. Today is Jackson's day to get his doc evaluation from the guy who is going to test him for giftedness and other stuff. The evaluation takes 3 hours. I truly hope that the doc is as good as his reputation. I probably won't know much about the results until the adult meeting we have in a couple of weeks.)

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#18 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:26 am

If you happen to run into mini there, tell her to get her ass back on the Bored....

lb13

tlynn78

#19 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 am

How in the world did J and J get to be so OLD??!? It doesn't seem possible.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#20 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:28 am

Bixby17 wrote:
Also, I read that Disney sells expensive "passports" that the kids can get stamped at each country at Epcot. Is there an online one that you can make from home? I'm sure that I'm not the first person to have such a thought.

Has anyone bought or seen the talking Mickey Mouse stuffed animal that gives you guide information around the parks? I saw it in a guidebook. Is it any good? My kids love love love stuffed animals and it sounds like a way to deal with standing in line boredom, but only if it is pretty good. Otherwise, it just seems like something expensive that just might be a pain to lug around and have the kids fight over.
I didn't think that they sold those "passports" for the EPCOT Kid Zone" activities..I thought they were free. I remember our grandkids doing that on a trip but I don't remember paying for the passports. I may be remembering incorrectly.

The "Pal Mickey" was cute but not essential. We had one but it was one of those things that was lost in the flood. It won't give you too many bits of information that you couldn't get from a guidemap, but it is a bit of additional fun and "DisneyMagic". You can program it to tell corny jokes and play games with the kids once you get home. At $60, however, it is advisable to hold tight to Mickey at all times so that he doesn't get "lost".

Have a wonderful time and say hi to the Big Cheese for me!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#21 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:29 am

Oh, and I rather like the San Angel Inn. I like their "Pollo A Las Rojas". The scenery is nice, too.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#22 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu May 22, 2008 12:13 pm

One of the coolest things at Epcot is Ice Station Cool which gives out free Coca Cola products from around the world.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#23 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Yeah, but should we tell her about Italy's offering or let her find out the hard way?

I always like to see the look on an Ice Station Cool newbie's face when they take a swig of that stuff after I encourage them to "try Italy's, it's great!!" :twisted:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#24 Post by sunflower » Thu May 22, 2008 4:53 pm

Italy's is definitely nasty, but I have to say I like Israel's. I remember a trip there with an ex and we would go back to Epcot every evening because they were open the latest and we'd get our fill of the Israeli soda and a giant pretzel from Germany. It doesn't get better than that!!

Bixby17

#25 Post by Bixby17 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:59 pm

sunflower wrote:Italy's is definitely nasty, but I have to say I like Israel's. I remember a trip there with an ex and we would go back to Epcot every evening because they were open the latest and we'd get our fill of the Israeli soda and a giant pretzel from Germany. It doesn't get better than that!!
Hmmm.

Given that my kids think American sodas taste gross, I can't imagine they would like the foreign ones.

Thanks for the advice.

(BTW, I really liked the doctor when I met him today. Seemed very thoughtful and thorough).