Transcript 05/16/08 - Stephanie Wright

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/16/08 - Stephanie Wright

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri May 16, 2008 6:52 pm

Stephanie Wright
Tulsa, OK
Bartender

$100
"Alien Galaxies" and "Spaceship Earth" are two episodes in a History Channel series with what title?

A: The American Revolution B: The Universe
C: The Bible D: Girls Gone Extraterrestrial

$200
Which of these produce items is named for the stringy, pasta-like appearance of its insides?

A: Spaghetti squash B: Heirloom tomato
C: Bell pepper D: Vidalia onion

$300
Brasîlia is the capital of a large country on what continent?

A: Australia B: South America
C: Europe D: Asia

$500
Works by The Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen are included in the 2005 book titled "The Norton Anthology of" what?

A: Detective Stories B: Science Fiction
C: Children's Literature D: Romance Novels

$1,000
"Dead tree" is a term used by journalists to refer to what?

A: Newspapers B: Television
C: Radio D: The internet

$2,000
Lucy, Jude and Prudence are aptly named characters in "Across the Universe," a 2007 film that showcases the music of whom?

A: The Beach Boys B: The Who
C: The Grateful Dead D: The Beatles

$4,000
Which of these terms refers to an economic policy calling for tax cuts and higher military spending?

A: Nixonomics B: Carternomics
C: Reaganomics D: Clintonomics

Stephanie thinks she knows, but she asks the audience.

ATA: A: 4% B: 1% C: 90% D: 5%

That's what Stephanie thought.

-- Commercial Break --

Stephanie hopes to open her own tavern some day.

Stephanie and some friends have a book club, called "Books and Booze" with three rules:
1. You can't have any romance novels.
2. No Harry Potter.
3. Nothing to do with anyone that has ever, at one time, possibly worn a bonnet.

Meredith: A bonnet? Why?

Stephanie: Jane Austen's great, but she's not for us.

$8,000
With off-the-wall varieties such as "I'm Not Really a Waitress," OPI is a leading brand of what?

A: Perfume B: Nail polish
C: Eye shadow D: Hair gel

$16,000
During surgery, a doctor who yells, "Suction!" is most likely calling for the use of what medical device?

A: Defibrillator B: Oximeter
C: Caliper D: Aspirator

Stephanie is pretty sure she knows, but she uses the 50/50.

50/50 leaves A & D.

Stephanie's answer is still there.

$25,000
In 2004, what nation announced that its population had reached 4.04 million people, its highest since 1871?

A: Ireland B: Turkey
C: Greece D: Spain

Stephanie is leaning towards Ireland, thinking of the potato famine.

PAF: Stephanie calls her husband, Brett.

Brett: What are the options?

Stephanie: Ireland, Turkey, Greece or Spain. Four seconds!

Brett: Turkey. I think. I'm not sure.

Stephanie walks away with $16,000.

-- Commercial Break --

Answers:
$100: B: The Universe
$200: A: Spaghetti squash
$300: B: South America
$500: C: Children's Literature
$1,000: A: Newspapers
$2,000: D: The Beatles
$4,000: C: Reaganomics
$8,000: B: Nail polish
$16,000: D: Aspirator
$25,000: A: Ireland

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 05/16/08 - Stephanie Wright

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat May 17, 2008 4:07 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000
Which of these terms refers to an economic policy calling for tax cuts and higher military spending?

E: Neocon wet dream

$8K: Never heard of this. ATA.

No problems on anything else.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#3 Post by sunflower » Sat May 17, 2008 4:12 am

[quote="BBTranscriptTeam"]$8,000
With off-the-wall varieties such as "I'm Not Really a Waitress," OPI is a leading brand of what?

C: Eye shadow D: Hair gel[quote]

One of my favorite colors!!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat May 17, 2008 5:21 am

sunflower wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000

One of my favorite colors!!
I know that there have been discussions on the bored about OPI. It could have been in FNGD but I know that I learned it here.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

tanstaafl2

#5 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat May 17, 2008 6:44 am

Although I guessed right, no real clue at 8K and would have to burn a lifeline. Otherwise no problems so far.

I guess as compared to the last one she had the good sense to bail at 16K. Not like she was likely to do much better if she kept talking herself out of the right answer...

Of course I give the other person props for at least going for it.

Other than that a pretty uninspiring run.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat May 17, 2008 7:26 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:I guess as compared to the last one she had the good sense to bail at 16K. Not like she was likely to do much better if she kept talking herself out of the right answer...
Yeah. She has a logical explanation for her choice, while her husband blurts out a WAG before time expires. And that persuades her to abandon her answer? :(

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#7 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat May 17, 2008 7:41 am

$25,000
In 2004, what nation announced that its population had reached 4.04 million people, its highest since 1871?

I thought the famine was in the 1840's, unless there was another one.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ABALLAM3

Stephanie Wright

#8 Post by ABALLAM3 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:15 am

This contestant, I am sorry, was a weak player. She new every answer but started getting scared after the $4000 question.

The $25,000 question was not, from what I consider, a very difficult one. It stated that that the population of this nation (Ireland, Turkey, Greece or Spain) is 4.04 million. Istanbul, Turkey has a population of approximately 6 million, while Madrid, Spain has around 5-6 million, and Athens, Greece alone has around 4-5 million. Besides, all those nations in area are much bigger than Ireland, which located on an island. This is one of those questions in which the audience probably would have gotten right with a decent percentage. Too bad she used them up on the $4000 question.

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: Stephanie Wright

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat May 17, 2008 12:51 pm

ABALLAM3 wrote:This contestant, I am sorry, was a weak player. She new every answer but started getting scared after the $4000 question.

The $25,000 question was not, from what I consider, a very difficult one. It stated that that the population of this nation (Ireland, Turkey, Greece or Spain) is 4.04 million. Istanbul, Turkey has a population of approximately 6 million, while Madrid, Spain has around 5-6 million, and Athens, Greece alone has around 4-5 million. Besides, all those nations in area are much bigger than Ireland, which located on an island. This is one of those questions in which the audience probably would have gotten right with a decent percentage. Too bad she used them up on the $4000 question.
Welcome ABALLAM3 and join the fun.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by ontellen » Sat May 17, 2008 10:27 pm

I thought that this was a fascinating question - one that trivia buffs like me relish. That is an astounding number of years for Ireland to get back to the population they had before the famine. It made me realize the extent of the famine and how many either died or left Ireland.

kroxquo

#11 Post by kroxquo » Sun May 18, 2008 6:32 am

I'm going to go on a limb and say that the question was trickier than what you're saying. The Irish emigration as a result of the potato famine began before the American Civil War and I thought by the 1870's had leveled off. I couldn't think of a good reaason why the other countries would have had a such a precipitous drop in population since the 1870's, but I don't think I would have been sure enough to go for it without at least using a 50/50 or PAF (I would have already used the ATA on the nail polish question). But I agree it is astounding that it took the Ireland's population 130 years to recover.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

slam

#12 Post by slam » Sun May 18, 2008 7:50 am

I don't know that much about the history of Ireland/Northern Ireland, but could it be that Northern Ireland was partitioned off from the rest of Ireland sometime after 1871 making the population climb back to its 1871 level that much harder? Althought the effect of the potato famine was tremedous, chopping off a chunk of the population through partition would make it even tougher.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun May 18, 2008 9:16 am

slam wrote:I don't know that much about the history of Ireland/Northern Ireland, but could it be that Northern Ireland was partitioned off from the rest of Ireland sometime after 1871 making the population climb back to its 1871 level that much harder? Althought the effect of the potato famine was tremedous, chopping off a chunk of the population through partition would make it even tougher.

The Easter Rising http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Rising
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#14 Post by etaoin22 » Sun May 18, 2008 4:06 pm

Reflecting the continued political and social failures post-famine, as well as the attractiveness of immigration not only to the US but to Canada, and for that matter to Liverpool, the population kept dropping and dropping and dropping.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/ ... g_2004.pdf

This appears to be the "announcement" quoted by the question writers.

Going back to elsewhere in the Irish census office data, what they do is to go back to the censuses done when the UK included all of Ireland, and count the counties which eventually became the current Republic of Ireland. Page 4 in the reference below is enough to understand most of he data.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/ ... s_2002.pdf

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Tue May 20, 2008 8:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Stephanie Wright
Tulsa, OK
Bartender
Another occupational WE®. I wondered if she might have Nancy on her PAF list.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4,000

Stephanie thinks she knows, but she asks the audience.

ATA: A: 4% B: 1% C: 90% D: 5%

That's what Stephanie thought.
Then why did you burn the lifeline???
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000

No idea, so I hope the audience does. Does "OPI" stand for anything?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000

'Tis a shame indeed. She had the right answer, for the right reason, but just couldn't bring herself to make it her final answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."