2022 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees (in honor of T-Bone)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
thguy65

2022 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees (in honor of T-Bone)

#1 Post by thguy65 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:41 pm

https://www.rockhall.com/rock-roll-hall ... -induction

Beck

Pat Benatar

Kate Bush

DEVO

Duran Duran

Eminem

Eurythmics

Judas Priest

Fela Kuti

MC5

New York Dolls

Dolly Parton

Rage Against The Machine

Lionel Richie

Carly Simon

A Tribe Called Quest

Dionne Warwick

- Tim H.
Last edited by thguy65 on Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

tlynn78

Re: 2022 Rock and Roll HOF Nominees (in honor of T-Bone)

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:31 pm

thguy65 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:41 pm
https://www.rockhall.com/rock-roll-hall ... -induction

Beck

Pat Benatar

Kate Bush

DEVO

Duran Duran

Eminem

Eurythmics

Judas Priest

Fela Kuti

MC5

New York Dolls

Dolly Parton

Rage Against The Machine

Lionel Richie

Carly Simon

A Tribe Called Quest

- Tim H.

Dionne Warwick
There's always at least a couple that make me think, "What!? They aren't in already?"
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:58 pm

The only one I'm sure T-Bone would vote for is Dolly Parton, despite her having little to do with the actual genre of rock 'n' roll. That ceased to be a real requirement basically when the Hall opened ...
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

kroxquo

#4 Post by kroxquo » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:24 pm

Another bitter pill because T-Bone would have had a lot to say on the topic.

I know the Hall is trying to include more women and as much as I love Dolly, I don't see her influence on Rock justifying her entry. I like that Carly Simon is on the list (and am kind of surprised that she has never been nominated before. I still the Monkees deserve to be in (and never will as long as Jann Wenner has anything to say about it). I also believe that Weird Al Yankovic deserves at least a nomination.

From the list above, who I think should be in:
Pat Benatar
Devo
Duran Duran
Eminem
Eurythmics
Carly Simon
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Pastor Fireball

#5 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:04 am

Anybody except Eminem.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:38 am

Dolly Parton Withdraws From Consideration For The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

Dolly Parton has withdrawn herself from consideration for the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. Parton was included on the list of this year’s nominees that was revealed at the beginning of February — it was her first time being included on that list, alongside other first-time nominees like Eminem, A Tribe Called Quest, Duran Duran, Lionel Ritchie, and Carly Simon.

“Even though I am extremely flattered and grateful to be nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, I don’t feel that I have earned that right,” Parton wrote in a statement on social media. “I really do not want votes to be split because of me, so I must respectfully bow out.”

https://www.stereogum.com/2179516/dolly ... rawl/news/
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:35 am

Vandal wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:38 am

Dolly Parton has withdrawn herself from consideration for the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. Parton was included on the list of this year’s nominees that was revealed at the beginning of February — it was her first time being included on that list, alongside other first-time nominees like Eminem, A Tribe Called Quest, Duran Duran, Lionel Ritchie, and Carly Simon.

“Even though I am extremely flattered and grateful to be nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, I don’t feel that I have earned that right,” Parton wrote in a statement on social media. “I really do not want votes to be split because of me, so I must respectfully bow out.”

Me too.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:46 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:35 am
Vandal wrote:

Me too.
Who the heck is A Tribe Called Quest and what did they do more for R&R Fame than The Bad Company, Jan and Dean, Joe Cocker, .....? Seriously.

And I agree, Dolly is not R&R. She is a Hall of Famer in music in general, Country specifically, but 9 to 5 doesn't a HoF nomination earn.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:50 am

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:46 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Vandal wrote:

Me too.
Who the heck is A Tribe Called Quest and what did they do more for R&R Fame than The Bad Company, Jan and Dean, Joe Cocker, .....? Seriously.
Since when is Hip-Hop R&R?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:03 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:50 am
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Me too.
It's not. Is that what Tribe Called Quest is? No wonder I've never heard of them.

R&R is a broad spectrum but if you can identify something as Country, Jazz, Rap, Spoken Word, etc, they shouldn't be included. Bo Jackson shouldn't be in the MLB HoF because of his college football accomplishments (and he isn't).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:11 am

Dionne Warwick also said she is not rock n roll, and said they should just change the name to the Music Hall of Fame.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:57 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:11 am
Dionne Warwick also said she is not rock n roll, and said they should just change the name to the Music Hall of Fame.
Brilliant!
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

#13 Post by Vandal » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:10 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
I would go a bit further and call it the Popular Music Hall of Fame
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Vandal wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:10 pm
Ritterskoop wrote:
I would go a bit further and call it the Popular Music Hall of Fame
Most of the music artists I like should be in the Unpopular Music Hall of Fame.

Appa23

#15 Post by Appa23 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:29 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:03 am
Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

It's not. Is that what Tribe Called Quest is? No wonder I've never heard of them.

R&R is a broad spectrum but if you can identify something as Country, Jazz, Rap, Spoken Word, etc, they shouldn't be included. Bo Jackson shouldn't be in the MLB HoF because of his college football accomplishments (and he isn't).
Tribe Called Quest was a/the pioneer of alternative hip hop in the early 1990s. They produced intellectually complex verses over musically diverse beats. They fused jazz, rock, funk, and soul samples into their music.

When I saw the list, I thought Eminem and Tribe had to be inducted, as this really has become a Popular Music Hall of Fame. Hip Hop / Rap is an enormous part of the music scene over the past thirty years, and these two acts are key reasons why.

I really hope that i am around when Taylor Swift is eligible, as I really want to see what you and a few others say at that time.

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:48 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:29 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Tribe Called Quest was a/the pioneer of alternative hip hop in the early 1990s. They produced intellectually complex verses over musically diverse beats. They fused jazz, rock, funk, and soul samples into their music.

When I saw the list, I thought Eminem and Tribe had to be inducted, as this really has become a Popular Music Hall of Fame. Hip Hop / Rap is an enormous part of the music scene over the past thirty years, and these two acts are key reasons why.

I really hope that i am around when Taylor Swift is eligible, as I really want to see what you and a few others say at that time.
So you agree with me, they are not Rock 'n Roll.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#17 Post by Appa23 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:32 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:48 pm
Appa23 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:29 pm
BackInTex wrote:

So you agree with me, they are not Rock 'n Roll.

No, I don’t agree because Rock and Roll is not a genre of music. It is an overarching term first used 70 years ago to describe popular music mixing elements of blues, R&B, country, and folk. Rick and Roll (popular) music evolves with the times. Hip Hop /rap has the same roots in blues and R&B, as well as jazz. It samples other genres, including what you would call rock.

jarnon

#18 Post by jarnon » Wed May 04, 2022 11:42 am

Vandal wrote:
Dolly Parton Withdraws From Consideration For The Rock & Roll Hall Of FameDolly Parton has withdrawn herself from consideration for the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. Parton was included on the list of this year’s nominees that was revealed at the beginning of February — it was her first time being included on that list, alongside other first-time nominees like Eminem, A Tribe Called Quest, Duran Duran, Lionel Ritchie, and Carly Simon.

Dolly Parton now says she'll 'accept gracefully' if voted into the Rock & Roll hall of Fame
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#19 Post by jarnon » Wed May 04, 2022 11:51 am

Introducing the 2022 class of Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo

Duran Duran

Eminem

Eurythmics

Judas Priest

Dolly Parton

Lionel Richie

Carly Simon

Harry Belafonte

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis

Allen Grubman

Jimmy Iovine

Sylvia Robinson

Elizabeth Cotton
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#20 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon May 09, 2022 11:07 am

Regardless of her other considerable achievements, Dolly should be in based on a ballad that will still be sung a century from now -- "I will always love you."
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller