Today's FJ wording misleading

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Today's FJ wording misleading

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon May 02, 2022 5:34 pm

Spoiler
In November 1864 John Wilkes Booth & his brothers were fittingly part of a performance of this Shakespeare play.

Because they mentioned the brothers, I went to "we happy few, we band of brothers," which is Henry V.

If you don't mention the brothers, we can get to a play with an assassination.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Today's FJ wording misleading

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 02, 2022 5:41 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:34 pm
Spoiler
In November 1864 John Wilkes Booth & his brothers were fittingly part of a performance of this Shakespeare play.

Because they mentioned the brothers, I went to "we happy few, we band of brothers," which is Henry V.

If you don't mention the brothers, we can get to a play with an assassination.
Spoiler
I got to a play with an assassination but went with Macbeth.
--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Mon May 02, 2022 5:43 pm

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon May 02, 2022 5:48 pm

I'm very glad this did not affect the outcome, and would have been firing off a a letter if it had.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 03, 2022 6:57 am

Spoiler
Being comparatively ignorant of Shakespeare I had limited choices but got this right. I think the key was John Wilkes Booth. If "brothers" was important, as a term, pointing to other plays, it could have been any other historical figure. JWB is known foremost as being an assassin of an important leader. "Brothers" was only brought in because JWB himself didn't play the assassin. JWB was the clue. Does anyone else even know he had brothers? If so, can they name them?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Tue May 03, 2022 7:18 am

BackInTex wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:57 am
Spoiler
Being comparatively ignorant of Shakespeare I had limited choices but got this right. I think the key was John Wilkes Booth. If "brothers" was important, as a term, pointing to other plays, it could have been any other historical figure. JWB is known foremost as being an assassin of an important leader. "Brothers" was only brought in because JWB himself didn't play the assassin. JWB was the clue. Does anyone else even know he had brothers? If so, can they name them?
Spoiler
I knew Booth's brother was a famous actor. I had to look up his name: Edwin.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 03, 2022 8:07 am

BackInTex wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Edwin. He saved Abraham Lincoln's son, Robert, from a serious injury on a train platform in Jersey City, New Jersey.

Another brother was Junius Brutus.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 03, 2022 8:29 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:07 am
BackInTex wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Edwin. He saved Abraham Lincoln's son, Robert, from a serious injury on a train platform in Jersey City, New Jersey.

Another brother was Junius Brutus.
Spoiler
Edwin was considered the best Hamlet of his time in the US and set the record for most New York stage performances in the role until John Barrymore broke it decades later. His career took a nosedive for months after the assassination as theaters were reluctant to cast him but he eventually resumed a successful career.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 03, 2022 9:54 am

Spoiler
Yeah, I can Google "John Wilkes Booth brothers".

The thing is, maybe 50% of the country can tell you who John Wilkes Booth is. 1%, or less, who his brothers were, or what they did. So, JWB was the question.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 03, 2022 2:19 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:54 am
Spoiler
Yeah, I can Google "John Wilkes Booth brothers".

The thing is, maybe 50% of the country can tell you who John Wilkes Booth is. 1%, or less, who his brothers were, or what they did. So, JWB was the question.
Then there are people like me who stayed awake in history class.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Tue May 03, 2022 3:15 pm

In all fairness, Bob, that would have been more like the current events discussion portion of your American History class.

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 03, 2022 4:48 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:15 pm
In all fairness, Bob, that would have been more like the current events discussion portion of your American History class.
:lol:
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#13 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue May 03, 2022 8:20 pm

Maybe my original point was not as clear as I should have made it (I assume we don't need spoiler markers since a whole new game has been played).

If the question was about assassinations, then don't mention the brothers. When you do that, we think it means something.
--------

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#14 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon May 09, 2022 10:57 am

jarnon wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:18 am
BackInTex wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
I knew Booth's brother was a famous actor. I had to look up his name: Edwin.
The only reason I knew about Edwin was because I wrote a short paper about him in high school. A sheet went around with 27 topics on it (or however many of us there were in the class), and I picked him.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller