Gone Fishin'

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

Gone Fishin'

#1 Post by fantine33 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:12 pm

They had me believing clear up to a minute left. Apparently they don't realize that T-Shirt Rally Night is the kiss of death to any team.

Stupid Spurs.

Thank God for the Celtics, otherwise my four most hated teams would be the only ones left.

Btw, did you know that Ginobili is Argentinian for 'flops like a fish'?

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Mon May 19, 2008 9:24 pm

I love it! I agree with you, I'm no longer interested in who wins the championship. It seems like the playoffs drag on for months anyway. Now it will seem even longer!!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

ne1410s

#3 Post by ne1410s » Tue May 20, 2008 11:13 am

I agree with you, I'm no longer interested in who wins the championship. It seems like the playoffs drag on for months anyway. Now it will seem even longer!!
I haven't watched 30 seconds of NBA since Michael Jordan retired for the 9th time. Just got spoiled I guess.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

fantine33

#4 Post by fantine33 » Tue May 20, 2008 11:57 am

ne1410s wrote:
I agree with you, I'm no longer interested in who wins the championship. It seems like the playoffs drag on for months anyway. Now it will seem even longer!!
I haven't watched 30 seconds of NBA since Michael Jordan retired for the 9th time. Just got spoiled I guess.
Jordan automatically made any game in which he was playing much more uninteresting to me.

Kenny and the Hornets went fishin' with Brad Pitt and Ric Flair. Does Flair still have some connection or involvment in ownership from when they were still in Charlotte?

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:04 pm

fantine33 wrote:
ne1410s wrote:
Jordan automatically made any game in which he was playing much more uninteresting to me.

Kenny and the Hornets went fishin' with Brad Pitt and Ric Flair. Does Flair still have some connection or involvment in ownership from when they were still in Charlotte?
IIRC, Ric Flair is from Charlotte.

If you watched any of the Hornet playoff games on televison, you might have heard Flair's trademark "Whoooooooo!" after big plays by Chris Paul (and sometimes David West). That is the Hornets' schtick. (Well, the "whooooo!" and trying to burn the arena down. :lol: )

BTW, what is your reaction to the Nuggets being willing to unload Carmelo for essentially "Best Offer"?

fantine33

#6 Post by fantine33 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Appa23 wrote:
fantine33 wrote:
ne1410s wrote: I haven't watched 30 seconds of NBA since Michael Jordan retired for the 9th time. Just got spoiled I guess.

If you watched any of the Hornet playoff games on televison, you might have heard Flair's trademark "Whoooooooo!" after big plays by Chris Paul (and sometimes David West). That is the Hornets' schtick. (Well, the "whooooo!" and trying to burn the arena down. :lol: )

BTW, what is your reaction to the Nuggets being willing to unload Carmelo for essentially "Best Offer"?
Flair isn't from Charlotte, he's from Minnesota. But he's lived in Charlotte forever, or since he was the NWA lynchpin. I didn't put the whoo's together with Flair, though, since it's a common crowd reaction.

As for Carmelo, are you talking about the Nets thing? That's just a Kiki wet dream. Anthony AND Camby for a bunch of trash that doesn't include the top draft pick? Not hardly.

And, since the teams left in the playoffs seem to be playing for the Most Boring Team Championship, people need something to talk about.

It's not even making a ripple in Colorado. Until Kroenke says he's moving Melo, it's a non-issue. Kroenke would have to be very stupid to give up the merch money alone and he isn't a multi-bajillionaire because he's stupid.

Tocqueville3

Re: Gone Fishin'

#7 Post by Tocqueville3 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:42 pm

fantine33 wrote:They had me believing clear up to a minute left. Apparently they don't realize that T-Shirt Rally Night is the kiss of death to any team.

Stupid Spurs.

Thank God for the Celtics, otherwise my four most hated teams would be the only ones left.

I thought David was going to go thru the TV and strangle Tony Parker.

We like to call Tony Parker Mr. Eva Longoriathewhineytailninny.

I think the Spurs played better last night and kept the game at the pace they wanted. If the Hornets had played with more hustle they mighta won. Ginobili shot lights out, too. I don't have a problem with a lot of the calls the officials made last night. I just thought they were a little inconsistent.

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:22 pm

fantine33 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
fantine33 wrote: Jordan automatically made any game in which he was playing much more uninteresting to me.

Flair isn't from Charlotte, he's from Minnesota. But he's lived in Charlotte forever, or since he was the NWA lynchpin. I didn't put the whoo's together with Flair, though, since it's a common crowd reaction.

As for Carmelo, are you talking about the Nets thing? That's just a Kiki wet dream. Anthony AND Camby for a bunch of trash that doesn't include the top draft pick? Not hardly.
If Flair lived for several years in Charlotte, then he is from Charlotte. (You can be from more than one place.) Plus, the "Whoooo!" isn't from the crowd. It is a taped sound effect from the PA guy.

From what I gathered from all of the talking heads on ESPN and TNT, the scuttlebutt is that the Nuggets are fairly serious about seeing if they can unload Anthony and get something good back. The owner and GM might be tired of the negative publicity and 5 straight years of getting blown out of the playoffs in the first round with Anthony. I do agree that it would be foolish to throw Camby into the deal with the Nets. (I laughed that there is a Cavs blog where the guy was trying to come up for a way to get Anthony to Cleveland. There is no way that Anthony would play "Scottie" to Lebron's "Michael".)

LOL at the "Most Boring team Championship." Still, if I was a Nuggets fan, I would not scoff at any type of championship. :P
Last edited by Appa23 on Tue May 20, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:31 pm

fantine33 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
fantine33 wrote: Jordan automatically made any game in which he was playing much more uninteresting to me.

It's not even making a ripple in Colorado. Until Kroenke says he's moving Melo, it's a non-issue. Kroenke would have to be very stupid to give up the merch money alone and he isn't a multi-bajillionaire because he's stupid.
Of course, maybe the owner thinks that everyone already owns an Anthony jersey, so he can sell even more jerseys if the fans have to buy the jersey of the new guys.

But, you are right that most owners don't care if they have a good team or a bad team. They just want a profitable team. Black ink over banners.

TheConfessor

#10 Post by TheConfessor » Tue May 20, 2008 3:19 pm

If it makes anyone feel better, at least the Spurs didn't get a good night's sleep after the game.

Go Boring Spurs!
When the San Antonio Spurs eliminated the New Orleans Hornets from the playoffs Monday night, they figured the hard part of their journey to the Western Conference finals was over.

Turns out it was only beginning.

In one of the more bizarre travel stories, the Spurs ended up spending the night on the tarmac at New Orleans airport.

The team had planned to fly to Los Angeles after the game, but arrived at the airport to find their flight had mechanical problems. With a cable convention crowding the city’s hotel rooms, the team couldn’t find any place to spend the night.

Some of the players slept on the plane while others moved to buses on the tarmac.

The team left New Orleans around 6:30 a.m. And arrived in Los Angeles a few hours later. The Spurs will have only a brief shootaround on Wednesday morning before opening the conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers that night.

fantine33

Re: Gone Fishin'

#11 Post by fantine33 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:08 am

Tocqueville3 wrote:
fantine33 wrote:They had me believing clear up to a minute left. Apparently they don't realize that T-Shirt Rally Night is the kiss of death to any team.

Stupid Spurs.

I thought David was going to go thru the TV and strangle Tony Parker.

We like to call Tony Parker Mr. Eva Longoriathewhineytailninny.

I think the Spurs played better last night and kept the game at the pace they wanted. If the Hornets had played with more hustle they mighta won. Ginobili shot lights out, too. I don't have a problem with a lot of the calls the officials made last night. I just thought they were a little inconsistent.
The Ginobili comment wasn't necessarily in regards to last night, it's just a standing joke in our family. Actually, when I saw it was Bavetta's crew I was happy because I knew that it was less likely that officiating would detemine the winner.

But it was funny when T. Duncan got called for the offensive foul in the first quarter. He gave this dumbfounded look to Dick Bavetta like "are you kidding, you're not supposed to do that! Didn't you get Dave's memo?"

I didn't really dislike Tony Parker or have an opinion about him one way or the other until all the Longoria nonsense started. She's a snotty little beyotch, btw. I held the bathroom door for once (not because she was Eva Longoria, but because I'm polite that way) and she didn't even say 'thank you'.

fantine33

#12 Post by fantine33 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:25 am

Appa23 wrote:From what I gathered from all of the talking heads on ESPN and TNT, the scuttlebutt is that the Nuggets are fairly serious about seeing if they can unload Anthony and get something good back. The owner and GM might be tired of the negative publicity and 5 straight years of getting blown out of the playoffs in the first round with Anthony. I do agree that it would be foolish to throw Camby into the deal with the Nets. (I laughed that there is a Cavs blog where the guy was trying to come up for a way to get Anthony to Cleveland. There is no way that Anthony would play "Scottie" to Lebron's "Michael".)
I was just going to keep you in the ignore file where I placed you months ago, but silly me for thinking it's only polite to respond when someone asks you a direct question. I forgot that the only reason you do that is to have an opening to crap all over somebody. :lol: :wink: :D 8)

Since the closest you come to knowing anything about the Nuggets is whatever some guy says on ESPN or what you can (or cannot) find on google or wikipedia, you have no idea what the scuttlebutt is and even less of an idea of the response, value and intangibles that are involved in Carmelo Anthony being with the Nuggets. :P :wink: :D 8) :lol:
appa23 wrote:LOL at the "Most Boring team Championship." Still, if I was a Nuggets fan, I would not scoff at any type of championship. :P
If they made me NBA Queen for a Day and told me that I could do a complete roster swap between the Nuggets and the Spurs (or Lakers or whoever), I wouldn't do it.

As for tired of being blown out five straight years in the playoffs, I can think of 26 other teams that would have liked the opportunity to be in the playoffs for the last five years straight.

Still, I can see where you have a right to be condescending, considering that outstanding championship NBA team that you have out there in Nebraska. Oh, wait....
:cry: :lol: :( 8) :) :D :shock: :shock: :P :wink:

fantine33

#13 Post by fantine33 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:41 am

Appa23 wrote: Of course, maybe the owner thinks that everyone already owns an Anthony jersey, so he can sell even more jerseys if the fans have to buy the jersey of the new guys.
Everybody doesn't already own an Anthony jersey. I have four Nuggets jerseys, but I don't have an Anthony one (Carmelo is my fifth favourite Nugget. Ha!) And jersey sales are but a small merchandising stone in the Carmelo Anthony merchandise ripple that is the Denver Nuggets merchandising lake.

And I don't think fans would be rushing right out for a Richard "Strangler" Jefferson jersey. Despite the positive image and rainbows and puppies that he'd be bringing with him.
But, you are right that most owners don't care if they have a good team or a bad team. They just want a profitable team. Black ink over banners.
I never said that or anything close to it. But you know that, it's just another dumping lever for you. Kroenke isn't paying luxury tax out the bahonka because he favours black ink over banners. Everybody wants a profit, but when you are a self-made multi-gajillionaire who fully or partially owns not only the Nuggets, Avalanche, Mammoth, Crush, St. Louis Rams and the Arsenal but the Pepsi Center and Altitude Sports Network as well, you're obviously a sports fan as well as a good businessman.

So, let's make a deal. I'll put you back in the file and you go and grab yourself a big steaming mug of STFU and we'll all live happily ever after. :D :) :( :o 8) :? :shock: :wink: :P

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:53 am

fantine33 wrote:I never said that or anything close to it. But you know that, it's just another dumping lever for you. Kroenke isn't paying luxury tax out the bahonka because he favours black ink over banners. Everybody wants a profit, but when you are a self-made multi-gajillionaire who fully or partially owns not only the Nuggets, Avalanche, Mammoth, Crush, St. Louis Rams and the Arsenal but the Pepsi Center and Altitude Sports Network as well, you're obviously a sports fan as well as a good businessman.

So, let's make a deal. I'll put you back in the file and you go and grab yourself a big steaming mug of STFU and we'll all live happily ever after. :D :) :( :o 8) :? :shock: :wink: :P

Boy do the football fans here wish he could buy the Rams outright since they're about to go up for sale, but NFL regulations won't let him because of all those Denver teams he owns.

Send 'em back to LA, I say....

lb13

fantine33

#15 Post by fantine33 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:38 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:Boy do the football fans here wish he could buy the Rams outright since they're about to go up for sale, but NFL regulations won't let him because of all those Denver teams he owns.

lb13
I figured it was because he co-owns the Crush with Pat Bowlen (and John Elway), so it would be kind of a conflict since Bowlen owns the Broncos. Like there's no chicanery between owners of sports teams (Pau Gasol for a busted draft pick on the DL and an old pair of Kurt Rambis shorty shorts? Sure!!!1) who aren't in partnership in a different league in a different sport. Ha!

So did Rams shares stay with Frontiere's family or revert back to the Rosenblooms?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#16 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:48 pm

fantine33 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:Boy do the football fans here wish he could buy the Rams outright since they're about to go up for sale, but NFL regulations won't let him because of all those Denver teams he owns.

lb13
I figured it was because he co-owns the Crush with Pat Bowlen (and John Elway), so it would be kind of a conflict since Bowlen owns the Broncos. Like there's no chicanery between owners of sports teams (Pau Gasol for a busted draft pick on the DL and an old pair of Kurt Rambis shorty shorts? Sure!!!1) who aren't in partnership in a different league in a different sport. Ha!

So did Rams shares stay with Frontiere's family or revert back to the Rosenblooms?

I'm pretty sure the Rams stay with her family, but ever since she died the talk's been that her family would sell the team. I remember seeing something about an NFL regulation about an owner of an NFL team not being able to own another professional sports franchise that's located in a different market. It doesn't really make sense to me, but that's the gist of why Kroenke can't buy the Rams.... and he's about the only safe option if the team's to stay in St. Louis.

Of course, I'd be the first to wave the moving vans goodbye if they left. Football just dominates the airwaves too much anymore, even when it's not being played, and it's not as bad when there's no home team around for the media to drool over. The baseball offseason should be a time for somber reflection on what was and what is to be in the true American pasttime.....

lb13