Bones and House (no spoilers in 1st post)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Bones and House (no spoilers in 1st post)

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue May 20, 2008 2:23 am

Excellent writing in both season enders, giving us some stuff to ponder.

On Bones, the two-parter they are shooting in England for fall should include more Stephen Fry, who could be consulted on any number of psychological topics.

(They are are shooting about six episodes labeled as season 3 because the actors are already paid, though they won't air until season 4.)

On House, nice work on two major relationships (House-Wilson and House-Cuddy).
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

MarleysGh0st

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue May 20, 2008 7:02 am

Question about the House episode:
Spoiler
What was the flu medication Amber took just before the crash? It's so toxic that, because her kidneys were shut down by the accident, two pills caused fatal damage to all her major organs? :shock:

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue May 20, 2008 10:04 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Question about the House episode:
Spoiler
What was the flu medication Amber took just before the crash? It's so toxic that, because her kidneys were shut down by the accident, two pills caused fatal damage to all her major organs? :shock:
Spoiler
I think pretty much any antibiotic (or whatever she was taking, as antibiotics wouldn't help a viral infection) would be toxic if your kidneys couldn't flush it. Roomie takes a statin and 3-4 other medications daily, and they test his kidneys and liver every three months, I think. Maybe four or six, but it's pretty often.

As for the name of the drug, it started with a T.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Catfish

#4 Post by Catfish » Tue May 20, 2008 10:15 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
I think pretty much any antibiotic (or whatever she was taking, as antibiotics wouldn't help a viral infection) would be toxic if your kidneys couldn't flush it. Roomie takes a statin and 3-4 other medications daily, and they test his kidneys and liver every three months, I think. Maybe four or six, but it's pretty often.

Spoiler
I think it was amantadine.
Catfish

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 21, 2008 11:37 am

I was ticked at them both.
Spoiler
Bones:

Zack is Gormagon's apprentice? And therefore a cold-blooded murderer? Give me a break. I know it was a short season because of the strike. And they might have given some clues in episodes they didn't get to shoot. But I just don't buy it, characterwise. The actor must have wanted out for some reason, but this is a very inelegant way to go.

House:

OK, so House is apparently so dependent on Wilson that he calls Wilson rather than a cab? And Amber, aka Heartless Bitch, goes to pick House up rather than tell him "grow up & take a cab"? And Amber, who presumably drove to pick House up, accepts a drink so then can't drive herself? I wouldn't drive after one drink, but I bet she would. OK, so House skipped without paying & she had to pay & follow him. That, at least, is "House in character". But she follows him onto a bus? Once she sees he's on a bus, why not call her own cab? Or wait for her own bus; she surely doesn't live at House's complex.

Perhaps the show is hinting that Amber wanted there to "be something" between her & House. It wouldn't be the 1st time House shagged a friend's girlfriend (see the Katrina victim episode; the traitorous incident in that one took place in the past, though). And I'm sure it will all come out next year, one way or another.

I also can't see the "team herd" all going to say goodbye to Amber, when, in fact, they didn't like her in the previous episodes of the show. OK, they didn't hate her either, but would you go to the certain deathbed of someone you had worked with but didn't like? Wouldn't you think that would be the place for the person's family & friends? She was pretty unlikable. She was pretty unlikeable as Wilson's supermanipulative girlfriend, too. And where were her real relatives around her deathbed? Was she family-less? That does happen often on TV. (For instance, at the pretend-funeral for the guy on Bones, where were his ex-girlfriend & his kid?)

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 21, 2008 11:53 am

ghostjmf wrote:
Spoiler
I also can't see the "team herd" all going to say goodbye to Amber, when, in fact, they didn't like her in the previous episodes of the show. OK, they didn't hate her either, but would you go to the certain deathbed of someone you had worked with but didn't like?
Spoiler
Probably not, if you're talking about most workplaces. But when they not only had this personal connection with Amber from their competition, but also had the responsibility as part that team to save her life--a responsibility that was futile from the start, but nevertheless theirs--then, yes, they do make the visit. It was the responsible thing to do.

Yes, Amber's family should have been there, but she apparently didn't have any family left in the picture.

I overused the word "responsible" in this reply. The humane thing to do? The human thing to do?

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed May 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Catfish wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
Spoiler
What was the flu medication Amber took just before the crash?
Spoiler

Spoiler
I think it was amantadine.

I remembered this after I got on the road yesterday.

Part of amantadine starts with a T.
--------

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 21, 2008 12:48 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Part of amantadine starts with a T.
Certainly! The middle part! :)

Amatadine was #7 on yesterday's Google Hot Trends list.

Yesterday's SyndieBAM episode contributed ludology at #9 and sutter buttes at #35. 8)

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:18 pm

LOL! I actually had this same thought. Be afraid, Skoopy. You're thinking like me. Be very afraid.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Spoiler
Marley says:
But when they not only had this personal connection with Amber from their competition, but also had the responsibility as part that team to save her life--a responsibility that was futile from the start, but nevertheless theirs--then, yes, they do make the visit. It was the responsible thing to do.
From the "fellow competitors" aspect, she was loathsome; so were many of them. Not the ones left on the final team, generally, though. (I personally would not feel inclined to attend the deathbed of coworkers who have screwed me over, & I speak from experience on the "screwed over" though not the deathbed aspect.) From the "as her unsuccessful doctors" aspect; OK, I can see that. Even then, they still had that "but we don't like her; we like her now (that she's dying)" conversation.

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Spoiler
And as long as I'm dumping on "now expired" Heartless Bitch:

I thought it was totally out of character that she wasn't raging in her final moments. Wilson thought so too, & asked her "aren't you angry" & she said "I don't want that to be my last thought". I don't think the character as developed would ever have said that. The actress did a good job of bringing the mood over, but that's because she's an actress, not really (one would hope) a Heartless Bitch. And I think the whole affair with Wilson was a plot to get at House anyway. She's certainly that devious.

Wilson's finding that "gone to pick up House" note was just a killer touch at the end. But I think the reason she left it was to make Wilson jealous (not knowing of course she was going to be killed before she got back to reap the spoils of her note). Who tucks notes in a bed about supposedly innocently giving rides to drunk friends, anyway? Wouldn't the front door, or the refrig, or an answering machine be a better place, where it would be found sooner?
Last edited by ghostjmf on Wed May 21, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thousandaire

#12 Post by Thousandaire » Wed May 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Spoiler
Not a big fan of House but I love Bones. Unfortunately I had to flip between it and CBS comedies. So I guess Zach won't be back next season. They sure had me going, I thought it was Hodgins. Would have been interesting if they didn't catch Gormogon at the end as they could have continued with that storyline indefinitely. The end reminded me of Star Trek (the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few).

Ritterskoop

#13 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Thousandaire wrote:
Spoiler
Not a big fan of House but I love Bones. Unfortunately I had to flip between it and CBS comedies. So I guess Zach won't be back next season. They sure had me going, I thought it was Hodgins. Would have been interesting if they didn't catch Gormogon at the end as they could have continued with that storyline indefinitely. The end reminded me of Star Trek (the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few).
Spoiler
I think it was a dream and he will be back. Too many pieces did not fit: no flag on the coffin, no one recognized Booth in uniform, there was never an undisputed King of the Lab, much less a trophy, and too many more to list, except the biggest one: Booth did not eat pie.
--------

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Ritterskoop says:
Spoiler
I think it was a dream and he will be back. Too many pieces did not fit: no flag on the coffin, no one recognized Booth in uniform, there was never an undisputed King of the Lab, much less a trophy, and too many more to list, except the biggest one: Booth did not eat pie.
Spoiler
OK, I agree that if you're trying to trap someone, all you have to do is have the appropriate officers show up to tackle that someone; you do not have to pose as part of the honor guard at your own funeral & do it yourself. And expect not to be seen before the guy you're trapping appears. And even Tempe has enough tact not to blurt her trademark emotionally-"off" analytical babble at a funeral. I think. But I think this fake funeral was not part of a bigger dream in which Zach goes working for Gormagon. Its just bad writing. The no-flag bit could be a big "clue", but I don't think so; just very bad set work. And Booth didn't eat pie because he was creeped out by psych-guy's relentless analysis of the whole pie trip.

I think the whole lab's reaction to Zach was realistic here, & about the only good writing in the piece; its hard to realize your friend is a nut-case & killer. You would, I guess, try to cling to memories of "the Zach we knew". Actually, its "thought we knew".

I don't think we'll find out it was all a dream. Not unless someone posts somewhere that the actor who plays Zach was signed for all next year, or something. Remember, the actor disappeared before, & they wrote Zach out for a while at that time with a military enrollment (the military gave him an honorable but not "normal" discharge, because he was just too weird for them).

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 21, 2008 4:20 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Ritterskoop says:
Spoiler
Spoiler
OK, I agree that if you're trying to trap someone, all you have to do is have the appropriate officers show up to tackle that someone; you do not have to pose as part of the honor guard at your own funeral & do it yourself. And expect not to be seen before the guy you're trapping appears. And even Tempe has enough tact not to blurt her trademark emotionally-"off" analytical babble at a funeral. I think. But I think this fake funeral was not part of a bigger dream in which Zach goes working for Gormagon. Its just bad writing. The no-flag bit could be a big "clue", but I don't think so; just very bad set work. And Booth didn't eat pie because he was creeped out by psych-guy's relentless analysis of the whole pie trip.

I think the whole lab's reaction to Zach was realistic here, & about the only good writing in the piece; its hard to realize your friend is a nut-case & killer. You would, I guess, try to cling to memories of "the Zach we knew". Actually, its "thought we knew".

I don't think we'll find out it was all a dream. Not unless someone posts somewhere that the actor who plays Zach was signed for all next year, or something. Remember, the actor disappeared before, & they wrote Zach out for a while at that time with a military enrollment (the military gave him an honorable but not "normal" discharge, because he was just too weird for them).
Unless they have a good reversal of things next year, I'd say this show has jumped the shark - and maybe even then.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Unless they have a good reversal of things next year, I'd say this show has jumped the shark - and maybe even then

The books by (I think) Kathy Reichs the series is 'based' on are much better than the show, anyway. The Temperence character, while emotionally reserved, is not as socially inept as portrayed by Deschamel<sp>

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

YetiGirl
Four-Footer

#17 Post by YetiGirl » Wed May 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Ritterskoop wrote: I remembered this after I got on the road yesterday.

i thought it started with a t
Mrrow! Ffft! Ffft!

ghostjmf

#18 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 21, 2008 4:49 pm

tlynn78 says:
The books by (I think) Kathy Reichs the series is 'based' on are much better than the show, anyway. The Temperence character, while emotionally reserved, is not as socially inept as portrayed by Deschamel<sp>
Spoiler
Well, those of us who have not read the books but do like the show for its light-hearted banter-y guilty-pleasureness feel screwed, just speaking for myself, here. This has got to be the worst "character goes bad" I've ever seen.

Doc on 3rd Watch coming unhinged & taking hostages because "they're closing the firehouse down & we won't be able to get to EMT calls as quickly & not being able to rescue people on 911 because they were all dead just subtley drove me around the bend but it took a few years to brew" was almost as bad a character betrayal, but they managed to write & act it, in the episodes leading up to it, as though he really had come unhinged; Zach on Bones through all the Gormagon & unrelated stuff has been playing "normal Zach". Its not really clear from the TV-land timeline vs the actual writers' strike when Zach went ga-ga, anyway; had Gormagon already started, lost one apprentice (I remember that from a former episode) & knowing what he already knew about Gormagon, Zach thought signing on at that time was a good idea???!!!!

tlynn78

#19 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:47 am

Zach on Bones through all the Gormagon & unrelated stuff ...

Can't really speak to that, as I missed the episode. I do enjoy the show, and I like the casting. It's just not the same or as good as the books. Which is okay. If you get the chance, the books are really well written. Women's Murder Club is the same. The books are better, but the show is not bad, for what it is.

t.