Transcript 05/19/08 Jeff Maichle

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/19/08 Jeff Maichle

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue May 20, 2008 4:01 am

Jeff Maichle
Charlotte, NC
Finance Manager

$100 On T-shirts and bumper stickers, the word “love” is often represented by the familiar red symbol for a what?
A. Raindrop
B. Heart
C. Crescent moon
D. Prenup

$200 The adjective “born-again” usually refers to a person with an intense, renewed commitment to what?
A. Religion
B. School
C. Sports
D. Career

$300 In a 2007 article, what snack food did the New York Times refer to as “synthetic cream-filled pseudocakes?
A. Twizzlers
B. M&M’s
C. Doritos
D. Twinkies

$500 A highly explosive substance often used in demolition, trinitrotoluene is commonly abbreviated as what?
A. TNT
B. TRL
C. TTT
D. TOE

$1K An exhibit that features fish, reptiles and amphibians, L’aquarium de Louisiane is an attraction at which of these zoos?
A. Denver Zoo
B. Indianapolis Zoo
C. Baton Rouge Zoo
D. Oakland Zoo

$2K In blackjack, which of these card pairings is known as a “soft 17”?
A. Nine & eight
B. Ten & seven
C. Ace & six
D. Two & five

$4K The bounty hunter Duane Chapman, star of an A&E reality series, is better known by what nickname?
A. Moose
B. Snake
C. Weasel
D. Dog

$8K Founded in 1990 to help disadvantaged schools, Teach For America primarily recruits teachers who are what?
A. Recent college grads
B. War veterans
C. Retirees
D. Homemakers

ATA
45% A. Recent college grads
10% B. War veterans
42% C. Retirees
3% D. Homemakers

Jeff is leaning toward recent college grads.

50/50 leaves A. Recent college grads and C. Retirees.

PAF – Stan, the father of Jeff’s girlfriend Sarah.

Sounded like Stan at first said he didn’t think it was retirees.
He then says that he would go with retirees since they are looking for good teachers.

Jeff goes with Stan and leaves with $1K.

commercial break

Answers:
$100 B. Heart
$200 A. Religion
$300 D. Twinkies
$500 A. TNT
$1K C. Baton Rouge Zoo
$2K C. Ace & six
$4K D. Dog
$8K A. Recent college grads

To correct spelling boo boo.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Tue May 20, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 05/19/08 Jeff Maichle

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:31 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 A highly explosive substance often used in demolition, trinitroluene is commonly abbreviated as what?
A. TNT
B. TRL
C. TTT
D. TOE
E. GOP
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K The bounty hunter Duane Chapman, star of an A&E reality series, is better known by what nickname?
A. Moose
B. Snake
C. Weasel
D. Dog
E. Jackass

$8K: I'm out as well. I said war veterans before the choices ever came up. We don't normally get WWOQs® this low in the stack.

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:50 am

What a bummer of a 50/50.

I stood there not sure what I would do.

I am still not sure.

christie1111
11:11

#4 Post by christie1111 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:52 am

$500 A highly explosive substance often used in demolition, trinitroluene is commonly abbreviated as what?
A. TNT
B. TRL
C. TTT
D. TOE

I believe you are missing the second T.

How about trinitrotoluene?
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

slam

#5 Post by slam » Tue May 20, 2008 6:26 am

Brutal question at this level. I would have gone with retirees on the theory that it's normal for new college grads to become teachers and that recruiting some retirees builds the number of available teachers and brings in people with other experiences. In NYC, there's such a program so I figured this was an analogous program on a national level.

If I were faced with this question in the Hot Seat, I would have gotten it wrong but at least I wouldn't have wasted any lifelines doing so. :)

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Tue May 20, 2008 8:05 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jeff Maichle
Charlotte, NC
Finance Manager
His last name was pronounced like "Michael", which I thought was interesting.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K Founded in 1990 to help disadvantaged schools, Teach For America primarily recruits teachers who are what?
A. Recent college grads
B. War veterans
C. Retirees
D. Homemakers

ATA
10% B. War veterans
42% C. Retirees
3% D. Homemakers

He then says that he would go with retirees since they are looking for good teachers.

My youngest son, watching the show, said that one of his friends was recruited by Teach for America. My first thought was "retirees", and would have burned all of my lifelines trying to get to the right answer. Googling "Teach for America" should get the answer quickly.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#7 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:00 am

Tough Q at 8K. Unless you are familiar with the group the first three all sound plausible to me. In fact it seems like I have heard of a group that specifically looks for military retirees to serve as teachers.

Then you get a tough ATA, a worse 50/50 and no help from the PAF. As noted a good google PAF should get this with no trouble.

But then you are staring at 16K and 25K, which are often tough Q's with no lifelines left to fall back on. Not a good place to be.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:57 am

slam wrote:Brutal question at this level. I would have gone with retirees on the theory that it's normal for new college grads to become teachers and that recruiting some retirees builds the number of available teachers and brings in people with other experiences. In NYC, there's such a program so I figured this was an analogous program on a national level.

If I were faced with this question in the Hot Seat, I would have gotten it wrong but at least I wouldn't have wasted any lifelines doing so. :)
Well, it helps to work on a university campus and talk to students in the school of education and to see the recruiters on campus.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Tue May 20, 2008 11:07 am

Another "sweeps" stack written to try to get a hot seater up to the high dollar figures.

It seems like there are a few news stories and several articles every year about the Teach for America program. Like anything else, there are cheerleaders and severe critics of the program.

Thousandaire

#10 Post by Thousandaire » Tue May 20, 2008 11:10 am

I'm surprised more people haven't heard of Teach for America. Obviously they need better PR. Retirees is a good guess if you don't know the answer.

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed May 21, 2008 4:07 pm

I was in class with two public school teachers who came here because of Teach For America. They are re-upping once their contracts are up, because they know they are making a difference in the world.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#12 Post by etaoin22 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:33 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jeff Maichle
Charlotte, NC
Finance Manager

$100 On T-shirts and bumper stickers, the word “love” is often represented by the familiar red symbol for a what?
A. Raindrop
B. Heart
C. Crescent moon
D. Prenup

$200 The adjective “born-again” usually refers to a person with an intense, renewed commitment to what?
A. Religion
B. School
C. Sports
D. Career

$300 In a 2007 article, what snack food did the New York Times refer to as “synthetic cream-filled pseudocakes?
A. Twizzlers
B. M&M’s
C. Doritos
D. Twinkies

$500 A highly explosive substance often used in demolition, trinitrotoluene is commonly abbreviated as what?
A. TNT
B. TRL
C. TTT
D. TOE

$1K An exhibit that features fish, reptiles and amphibians, L’aquarium de Louisiane is an attraction at which of these zoos?
A. Denver Zoo
B. Indianapolis Zoo
C. Baton Rouge Zoo
D. Oakland Zoo

$2K In blackjack, which of these card pairings is known as a “soft 17”?
A. Nine & eight
B. Ten & seven
C. Ace & six
D. Two & five

$4K The bounty hunter Duane Chapman, star of an A&E reality series, is better known by what nickname?
A. Moose
B. Snake
C. Weasel
D. Dog

$8K Founded in 1990 to help disadvantaged schools, Teach For America primarily recruits teachers who are what?
A. Recent college grads
B. War veterans
C. Retirees
D. Homemakers

ATA
10% B. War veterans
42% C. Retirees
3% D. Homemakers

commercial break

Answers:
$100 B. Heart
$200 A. Religion
$300 D. Twinkies
$500 A. TNT
$1K C. Baton Rouge Zoo
$2K C. Ace & six
$4K D. Dog
$8K A. Recent college grads

To correct spelling boo boo.
8K: On the choice of the year 1990, I might well have wished to choose "retirees", on the assumption that the voluntarism expounded in "Thousand points of light" should have resulted in something other than a song lyric borrowing by Neil Young. But a darned good lyric, though.

Of course the recent grads can be volunteers, better than that they should expect real employment :(

4K: I liked this question better when i wrote it for FNGD. Harder distractors. [ I would like to think the writers browse our games, esp. on the old bored Disney already technically had the copyright. ]
(':)'). (':cry:')(':cry:')('8)') i assume though they have a firewall of fire in which they cannot access "fan-generated" material. Even the fair number of coincidences with some of the erudite QoD writing pf our erudite writers, did not seem to have enough similarity to suggest a borrow. I have identified cribbing from certain Net sources,ESPECIALLY dictionaries, but not recently.
1K: I am not sure that I care for one recent trend in ? writing. From someone's manual of how to write "word questions" for primary school. Where the ? collapses immediately or with the most elementary assumption, in a terribly artificial fashion, into a much simpler ?. Why not just ask the question as a straightforward "state capital" question? :) :) :roll: :cry: