Well, I've done it.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Well, I've done it.

#1 Post by gsabc » Tue May 20, 2008 6:18 am

Signed up for the audition on June 16th. Whether I make it there or not, I'll have the appointment. At least I hope I will. I anxiously await the confirmation e-mail from TPTB.

So, logistics questions. How long does a cab ride take from Newark Airport to 57 West 67th Street? Will any NYC cab take me back to Newark Airport so I can pick up my rental car and get to my hotel, or do I need to call a specific one? How much cash do I need to bring for the cabs? What have I forgotten in this voyage?

Have the tests been pretty much the same? Generally middle-tier questions? Any predominant categories (please, limit the recent pop culture!)?

Geez, I'm already getting nervous about it. Breathe, Gordon, breathe.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:20 am

I am way, way excited for you!

I don't have answers to your questions - I am just way way excited for you.

nitrah55

#3 Post by nitrah55 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:13 am

I think there are shuttle buses that go from Newark Airport to midtown Manhattan- probably to Grand Central Station (Park and 42nd). From there, you can get a cab to West 67th.

It will likely be cheaper and less harrowing.
I am about 25% sure of this.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue May 20, 2008 7:20 am

Good luck to you!

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue May 20, 2008 7:27 am

nitrah55 wrote:I think there are shuttle buses that go from Newark Airport to midtown Manhattan- probably to Grand Central Station (Park and 42nd). From there, you can get a cab to West 67th.

We already discussed bus and train options a few weeks ago. Sounds like gsabc has decided to skip those for the more expensive taxi option.

I have no idea how long the taxi rides will take, but the answer would be highly dependent on the time of day.

gsabc

#6 Post by gsabc » Tue May 20, 2008 7:41 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
nitrah55 wrote:I think there are shuttle buses that go from Newark Airport to midtown Manhattan- probably to Grand Central Station (Park and 42nd). From there, you can get a cab to West 67th.

We already discussed bus and train options a few weeks ago. Sounds like gsabc has decided to skip those for the more expensive taxi option.
Nope, just forgot about the other options. The shuttle looks like a good deal, at $25 RT. I will check which Manhattan stop is best for West 67th.

slam

#7 Post by slam » Tue May 20, 2008 7:43 am

A bus to the Port Authority is better strategy (if it's available, but I'm thinking it has to be) because from there you can walk through some underground tunnels and get to the 1 train (3 stops north to 66th street).

A taxi from Newark Airport at that time of day could run an hour plus depending on traffic. It could also be as short as a half hour or so. I'd bet on the longer time, though.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#8 Post by sunflower » Tue May 20, 2008 4:40 pm

You could also try posting a rideshare request on Craig's List. You never know who might be driving that way already and want to share a taxi or a town car, and split the cost. Also sometimes limo companies will offer you a discount rate, say if they have to go into Manhattan to pick someone up to bring to Newark later that night - they can make a little extra cash if they bring someone in on the way instead of an empty car. The earlier you post something, the more likely you might be to find some creative arrangement.

a1mamacat

#9 Post by a1mamacat » Tue May 20, 2008 5:02 pm

yayaya.

is it "destitute fotb week?" :twisted:
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Tue May 20, 2008 6:56 pm

a1mamacat wrote:yayaya.

is it "destitute fotb week?" :twisted:
I don't know, but you can bet I'll work that into my interview spiel.

I'm sure I've mentioned that when WWTBAM started, each question level was just so much money. Then they became so many semesters of college. Now they're so many guest dinner plates. After that, I suppose they become years of retirement. :?