Did I dream it?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Did I dream it?

#1 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:56 am

Did anyone else hear a report this morning of Pelosi's husband having been attached at this home in San Fran?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

mellytu74

Re: Did I dream it?

#2 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:24 am

Nope - he was attacked with a hammer.

The suspect is in custody.

He was in the house yelling, "Where's Nancy?" Apparently, Paul Pelosi was not the intended target. Speaker Pelosi was in DC.

Press conference momentarily (1:30 p.m. Eastern) - it was supposed to be earlier. No idea of the holdup.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Did I imagine it?

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:47 am

mellytu74 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:24 am

He was in the house yelling, "Where's Nancy?" Apparently, Paul Pelosi was not the intended target. Speaker Pelosi was in DC.

Press conference momentarily (1:30 p.m. Eastern) - it was supposed to be earlier. No idea of the holdup.
Mr. Pelosi is undergoing brain surgery.

Tgirl, may I respectfully suggest that the word "imagine" better reflects your intent than does "dream" in the thread's title? The word you chose can be understood to connote a positive or hoped-for result, and I'm quite confident that's not the thought you meant to convey. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:47 am

mellytu74 wrote:

Holy crap. That's some bullshit - where the heck was security, surely they have some?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:06 pm

I am apprehensive about Democrats who win the upcoming election being attacked, especially in states like Arizona, where there's close to a 50/50 split.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:21 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:47 am
mellytu74 wrote:

Holy crap. That's some bullshit - where the heck was security, surely they have some?
Apparently, from what I could gather at what was a short press conference, it was the alarm system that got the cops there so quickly. They didn't answer specific questions about the house's security sytem.

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:51 pm

And a few days ago, a Rubio volunteer in Florida was attacked by two men and their dogs. This is getting crazy.

Mr. Pelosi is 82 years old. Have they no decency?
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:54 pm

jarnon wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:51 pm
And a few days ago, a Rubio volunteer in Florida was attacked by two men and their dogs. This is getting crazy.

Mr. Pelosi is 82 years old. Have they no decency?
Criminals and decency? Did you really just ask that?

tlynn78

#9 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:55 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:21 pm
tlynn78 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:47 am
mellytu74 wrote:

Apparently, from what I could gather at what was a short press conference, it was the alarm system that got the cops there so quickly. They didn't answer specific questions about the house's security sytem.
Thank goodness they got there quickly enough to catch the perp.

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:56 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:06 pm
I am apprehensive about Democrats who win the upcoming election being attacked, especially in states like Arizona, where there's close to a 50/50 split.
Sounds as it you don't care if Republicans who win get attacked, only the Dems.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:48 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:56 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:06 pm
Sounds as it you don't care if Republicans who win get attacked, only the Dems.
Well, duh. When it's not a Dem, well, they just had it coming.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#12 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:01 pm

Mr. Pelosi was attacked by a hemp jewelry designer with his own hammer after the police arrived. The perp was looking for the speaker.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:03 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:01 pm
Mr. Pelosi was attacked by a hemp jewelry designer with his own hammer after the police arrived. The perp was looking for the speaker.
you are more likely to be injured by your own hammer than a stranger’s hammer
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

tlynn78

#14 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:16 am

Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:03 pm
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:01 pm
you are more likely to be injured by your own hammer than a stranger’s hammer
Bizarre

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:47 am

More things that should make you go "hmm..."

NBC News pulls report on Paul Pelosi attack

Among things said in the report was that Paul Pelosi was the person that answered the door when the police knocked. And that DePape had been in the home for 30 minutes prior to police arriving.

Paull Pelosi did not try to flee or escape when he had the chance. Why?

I know some of you will discredit the story because NBC chose to pull it, but really, the story is there, told by an NBC reporter and the sources are just as credible as any other sources quoted to date.

There will be more to this. Just like there was more to the Hutner Biden laptop story, but also like there wasn't more to the Steele Dossier story. The press is crap.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#16 Post by jarnon » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:26 am

BackInTex wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:47 am

Among things said in the report was that Paul Pelosi was the person that answered the door when the police knocked. And that DePape had been in the home for 30 minutes prior to police arriving.

I know some of you will discredit the story because NBC chose to pull it, but really, the story is there, told by an NBC reporter and the sources are just as credible as any other sources quoted to date.

There will be more to this. Just like there was more to the Hutner Biden laptop story, but also like there wasn't more to the Steele Dossier story. The press is crap.
A network source told CNN it pulled the segment after the source of the report’s information was found to be unreliable.
Unreliable like the Steele dossier, or the reporting about President Bush that got Dan Rather in trouble. What’s crappy is not that NBC News had the integrity to pull the story, but that they went after the “scoop” without proper verification. People remember allegations and ignore later retractions.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#17 Post by jarnon » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:38 am

BackInTex wrote:
Paul Pelosi did not try to flee or escape when he had the chance. Why?
Any number of reasons. He felt safer in his home with a security system (which should have been better) than the street at 2 a.m. The attacker was focused on Nancy, so Paul didn’t feel endangered at first. He’s an old man.

Skepticism has value, but most of the time things are what they seem to be.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:50 am

BackInTex wrote:

‘Putin’s chef’ admits to interfering in U.S. elections

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/28151659 ... -elections

Yevgeny Prigozhin, an entrepreneur known as “Putin’s chef” because of his catering contracts with the Kremlin, on Monday admitted he had interfered in U.S. elections and said he would continue to do so — for the first time confirming the accusations he has been rejecting for years.

“We have interfered, are interfering and will continue to interfere. Carefully, precisely, surgically and in our own way,” Prigozhin said in remarks posted by his spokespeople on social media.

Prigozhin, a dozen other Russian nationals and three Russian companies were charged with operating a covert social media campaign aimed at fomenting discord and dividing American public opinion ahead of the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

They were indicted in 2018 as part of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian election interference.

The Justice Department in 2020 moved to dismiss charges against two of the indicted firms, Concord Management and Consulting LLC and Concord Catering, saying they had concluded that a trial against a corporate defendant with no presence in the United States and no prospect of meaningful punishment even if convicted would likely expose sensitive law enforcement tools and techniques.

Prigozhin had denied involvement in election interference until now.

He also previously denied ties to the Wagner mercenary force, but in September admitted to founding and financing it in 2014 and started speaking openly about its involvement in the war in Ukraine.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:11 am

By Tom Wilson, MS in Organization Development & Process Theology, American University.

The attempt to control the narrative is characteristic of the Fascist distortion of Hume’s theory of perception, which posits that subjective, or phenomenal, reality is a construct of sensory perception of noumena existence which is generally accepted.

The Fascist distortion, as practiced by Rush Limbaugh, among others, is that reality can be created if you control perceptions; that is, perception is reality, and if you can control the narrative which defines perception, you can control reality.

Perception is the source of subjective reality, which may or not comport usefully with the existential phenomena independent of perception that provides the sensory stimulus that produces subjective reality. The goal of the Fascist narrative is to control the subjective reality so that it conforms with the Fascist political agenda instead of providing a proper objective inquiry into the nature of existence as a point of departure for effective collective action for the general welfare.

In the case of the attack on Paul Pelosi, the object of the exercise is to characterize the attack as a result of Pelosi’s personal moral depravity as opposed to the effects of the trickle-down effects of the GOP’s deliberate appeal to violence and extremist behavior in the pursuit of their authoritarian ambitions. This, of course, is a result of Newt Gingrich’s politics of personal destruction he adopted as part of his general Trotsky-inspired GOPAC political strategy to become Speaker and, since then, to impose the authoritarian agenda of the John Birch Society as a substitute for the US Constitution.

But it all goes back to a misappropriation of David Hume’s theory of perception: if perception is reality, control perceptions, and you control reality.

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:35 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:50 am
BackInTex wrote:

‘Putin’s chef’ admits to interfering in U.S. elections

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/28151659 ... -elections

Yevgeny Prigozhin, an entrepreneur known as “Putin’s chef” because of his catering contracts with the Kremlin, on Monday admitted he had interfered in U.S. elections and said he would continue to do so — for the first time confirming the accusations he has been rejecting for years.

“We have interfered, are interfering and will continue to interfere. Carefully, precisely, surgically and in our own way,” Prigozhin said in remarks posted by his spokespeople on social media.

Prigozhin, a dozen other Russian nationals and three Russian companies were charged with operating a covert social media campaign aimed at fomenting discord and dividing American public opinion ahead of the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

They were indicted in 2018 as part of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian election interference.

The Justice Department in 2020 moved to dismiss charges against two of the indicted firms, Concord Management and Consulting LLC and Concord Catering, saying they had concluded that a trial against a corporate defendant with no presence in the United States and no prospect of meaningful punishment even if convicted would likely expose sensitive law enforcement tools and techniques.

Prigozhin had denied involvement in election interference until now.

He also previously denied ties to the Wagner mercenary force, but in September admitted to founding and financing it in 2014 and started speaking openly about its involvement in the war in Ukraine.
I don't think anyone is denying external actors are trying to interfere with out elections. Heck, we do the same. The problem you have is your side keeps trying to tie Trump and others to the interference which has undermined your integrity on anything else you report.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#21 Post by BackInTex » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:38 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:11 am

The Fascist distortion, as practiced by Rush Limbaugh, among others, is that reality can be created if you control perceptions; that is, perception is reality, and if you can control the narrative which defines perception, you can control reality.
What specifically is Fascist about how Rush presented his side of things vs. say, how the MSN's Dan Ratherish distortions of the truth?

I'll tell you, nothing, other than it is 10 to 1 MSN against Rush (though he had one hand tied behind his back just to make it fair).
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#22 Post by Vandal » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:36 pm

David DePape found guilty in Paul Pelosi hammer attack

A jury has found David DePape guilty on two counts in the violent attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, last year in the couple’s San Francisco home.

DePape was convicted in federal court of one count of assault on the immediate family member of a federal official, and a second count of attempted kidnapping of a federal official. He faces a maximum sentence of 30 years and 20 years, respectively.

A state case against DePape that includes charges of attempted murder, burglary and assault is expected to go to trial later this month.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/16/politics ... index.html
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

BackInTex

#23 Post by BackInTex » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:28 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:36 pm
David DePape found guilty in Paul Pelosi hammer attack

A jury has found David DePape guilty on two counts in the violent attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, last year in the couple’s San Francisco home.

DePape was convicted in federal court of one count of assault on the immediate family member of a federal official, and a second count of attempted kidnapping of a federal official. He faces a maximum sentence of 30 years and 20 years, respectively.

A state case against DePape that includes charges of attempted murder, burglary and assault is expected to go to trial later this month.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/16/politics ... index.html
Assault on the immediate family memeber of a federal official is 30 years max, but attempting to kidnap said official is only 20? Hmm... Maybe because it was only "attempted". What would it be if it were kidnapping?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#24 Post by jarnon » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:35 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:28 pm
Assault on the immediate family member of a federal official is 30 years max, but attempting to kidnap said official is only 20? Hmm... Maybe because it was only "attempted". What would it be if it were kidnapping?
Man who attacked Minnesota congresswoman in her Washington apartment building gets 27-month sentence

Apparently there's an enormous range in sentences, and the maximum sentence is rarely imposed.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי