top o' the mornin'®

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

top o' the mornin'®

#1 Post by earendel » Wed May 21, 2008 6:06 am

Life is all about transitions. My youngest son, who has graduated, has moved back home to await the next phase of his life, either a job in Seattle or one in Indianapolis. My second-oldest has moved back also until he can find a new place to live (he's tired of living with his brother and sister-in-law). They, too, are moving to a new place, but fortunately are NOT moving in (at least they haven't said anything about it). But it's not all bad - sons #2 and #4 are leaving Friday for Europe - no itinerary other than just "seeing the sights". They have Eurrail passes for France, Benelux and Spain. It's interesting to note the contrast between their travel plans and the ones elwing makes - actually they don't have any plans other than getting on the airplane, getting off, going where they want when they feel like it, and returning home. Yes, they'll be staying at youth hostels and such. Oh to be young again! :sigh:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: top o' the mornin'®

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 21, 2008 6:23 am

earendel wrote:It's interesting to note the contrast between their travel plans and the ones elwing makes - actually they don't have any plans other than getting on the airplane, getting off, going where they want when they feel like it, and returning home.
However, they do seem to have the same detail to their travel plans as dear old dad! :P

I hope sons #2 and #4 have a great time. With the dollar being so low against the euro, even youth hostels might not be so cheap any more!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

Re: top o' the mornin'®

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:13 am

earendel wrote:Life is all about transitions. My youngest son, who has graduated, has moved back home to await the next phase of his life, either a job in Seattle or one in Indianapolis. My second-oldest has moved back also until he can find a new place to live (he's tired of living with his brother and sister-in-law). They, too, are moving to a new place, but fortunately are NOT moving in (at least they haven't said anything about it). But it's not all bad - sons #2 and #4 are leaving Friday for Europe - no itinerary other than just "seeing the sights". They have Eurrail passes for France, Benelux and Spain. It's interesting to note the contrast between their travel plans and the ones elwing makes - actually they don't have any plans other than getting on the airplane, getting off, going where they want when they feel like it, and returning home. Yes, they'll be staying at youth hostels and such. Oh to be young again! :sigh:

Heck, I just hitch hiked for five months across Europe. But that was back in the day when it was safer. I also hitch hiked across the US several times. I've slept in some strange places.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:55 am

How is it for you, having kids come and go?

Do you see it as a duty? As an 'of course' my house is your house forever? Do you question anything about it? Is it all okay just the way it is?

a1mamacat

#5 Post by a1mamacat » Wed May 21, 2008 8:00 am

You give me hope, Ear! 8)
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Wed May 21, 2008 8:41 am

peacock2121 wrote:How is it for you, having kids come and go?
I have mixed emotions. I like to think that I did a good job of raising them and launching them, and it sometimes seems like I didn't do such a good job. OTOH in these instances it is simply a temporary arrangement, especially in these two cases (one son waiting to hear about job opportunities, the other using us as "storage space" while he's traveling, since his lease expires at the end of this month and he won't be here to get a new place). It's not like some families, in which the children come home because they aren't making it in the cold cruel world.
peacock2121 wrote:Do you see it as a duty? As an 'of course' my house is your house forever? Do you question anything about it? Is it all okay just the way it is?
I'm glad that elwing and I have a place where they can come on a temporary basis. It's more the "mi casa is su casa" type of thing in these instances. I don't know how I'd feel if my sons were the slacker types that are the staple for sitcoms these days.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."