Transcript 5/21/2008 Steve Mahoney

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/21/2008 Steve Mahoney

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed May 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Transcript May 21, 2008

Steve Mahoney
New York, NY

Steve says he is from Harlem.

$100
According to a well-known nursery rhyme, "Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch" what?

A: A herd of cattle
B: A pail of water
C: A bushel of wheat
D: A case of Coors Light

$200
In a historic 1963 speech, Martin Luther King, Jr famously said "I have a" what?

A: question
B: notion
C: challenge
D: dream

$300
By definition, an urbanologist studies which of the following?

A: Forests
B: Oceans
C: Cities
D: Glaciers

$500
Plasti-Swat is a pest control brand designed primarily to kill what creatures?

A: Raccoons
B: Gophers
C: Rats
D: Flies

$1000
The expression "go for the brass ring" derives from an old tradition in which grabbing a brass ring won you what prize?

A: Tickets to the circus
B: Merry-go-round ride
C: Bouquet of balloons
D: Freshly baked pie

Commercial break.

Steve is a literacy teacher. Nights & weekends he is a professional tee shirt folder.
There is an art & skill involved. There are several different types of folds. There are tee shirt folding classes, seminars, workshops.
Tee shirt folding is very serious. He gets his tee shirt folding
fill at work & doesn't bring it home with him. Meredith thinks Steve is a very funny guy.

$2000
Deliveryman Doug Heffernan and his spitfire wife Carrie cope with the trials of married life on what popular sitcom?

A: Gilmore Girls
B: 7th Heaven
C: According to Jim
D: The King of Queens

$4000
Accessible only by rafting, hiking, or riding a mule, Phantom Ranch is a popular lodge
located in what national park?

A: Grand Canyon
B: Yellowstone
C: Death Valley
D: Mammoth Cave

Meredith asks him how he knows this one. Steve says he thinks he knows if from an episode of the Brady Bunch, although he's really not sure.

$8000
Echoing the themes of her five other New York Times bestsellers, a 2007 book by guru Suze Orman is titled "Women and" what?

A: Food
B: Money
C: Dating
D: Children

$16000
What is the term for the irregular "torn" edge often seen on invitations made from handmade paper?

A: Die-cut edge
B: Matte edge
C: Beveled edge
D: Deckle edge

ATA:
A: 9%
B: 17%
C: 22%
D: 52%

Commercial Break

When Steve got the call to be on the show, he was at the laundromat doing his laundry in Harlem. He couldn't jump
around and act excited there. He waited until he got home
and did a happy dance. Meredith makes him demonstrate the dance.

$25000
In the opera "La Boheme", what character dies in the final scene?

A: Rodolfo
B: Marcello
C: Mimi
D: Colline

Steve hasn't seen the opera but he has seen "Rent", which is based on "La Boheme".
He has an idea, but is not certain.

50/50

He was thinking Mimi, however he decides to call his friend Eric. You can definitely hear
typing in the background. Eric says he thinks it's Mimi. Steve asks how sure and as time runs out it sounds like he says 50/50.
Meredith says she could hear his mind working.
Steve says Eric's mind is like a computer. Meredith tells Steve he knew it before he made that phone call.

Commercial break

$50000
In a landmark 1978 Supreme Court case concerning affirmative action, plaintiff Allan Bakke claimed he was wrongly denied what?

A: Promotion at work
B: Country Club membership
C: Medical school admission
D: Student loans

He decides to switch the question. His answer would have been A - promotion at work.

$50000
Legendary football coach Knute Rockne was also an instructor in what department at Notre Dame?

A: Chemistry
B: Philosophy
C: Linguistics
D: Microbiology

Steve is not a big Notre Dame fan. He guesses B - Philosophy and leaves with $25000.

Answers:

$100 B - A pail of water
$200 D - Dream
$300 C - Cities
$500 D - Flies
$1000 B - Merry-go-round ride
$2000 D - The King of Queens
$4000 A - Grand Canyon
$8000 B - Money
$16000 D - Deckle edge
$25000 C - Mimi
$50000 C - Medical school admission
$50000 A - Chemistry

Edited to fix the name of Yellowstone Park.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Thu May 22, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Wed May 21, 2008 5:56 pm

Ooh, I'd have loved this stack. ATA on a deckle edge, because I'm too uncertain to go for it straight, and I'm looking at the $100K question with three lifelines left.

IMO the Rockne question is a higher level than $50K. Knew it, but wouldn't have seen it b/c I knew the Bakke answer.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MyBigFatFabulousBrain
Merry Man

#3 Post by MyBigFatFabulousBrain » Wed May 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Steve Mahoney
New York, NY

So? Is that supposed to be a hook or something? Is he going to do the Harlem Shuffle? Was he in Harlem Nights? Is he a member of the Harlem Globetrotters? He just looks like another WE to me...

$100
According to a well-known nursery rhyme, "Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch" what?

Poor Mother Goose. She probably never saw this embarrassment coming...

$200
In a historic 1963 speech, Martin Luther King, Jr famously said "I have a" what?

$300

E. WE/WE's

$500

Let em know when they make something that'll reach through the TV and swat these dimwits in the Hot Seat upside the head when they screw up....

$1000
The expression "go for the brass ring" derives from an old tradition in which grabbing a brass ring won you what prize?

Ummmmmmm..... what!?!?!?!? Is this another New York tradition?

Steve is a literacy teacher. Nights & weekends he is a professional tee shirt folder.

No way. There is no way somebody can become a professional T-shirt folder. That is like me proclaiming myself to be a professional TV operator, because I know how to turn my TV on and off (Well, I usually turn it off by throwing something heavy through the screen.... so I guess I'm not very professional after all). But this has got to be some kind of joke. Do you have some kind of degree in T-shirt folding with Sally Struthers signature on it?

There is an art & skill involved. There are several different types of folds. There are tee shirt folding classes, seminars, workshops.

Bullcrap! I laughed at the contestant two years ago who said she went to "spinning classes", but at least there was a remote corner of my big, fat, fabulous brain that could accept the fact that there actually was such a thing. There is no way there are T-shirt folding seminars and workshops, and any college that offers classes in T-shirt folding is likely one anonymous call away from relocating to another state before the police raid its offices. I'll bet you aren't even really from Harlem....

fill at work & doesn't bring it home with him. Meredith thinks Steve is a very funny guy.

I think this guy is some kind of pathological liar, or maybe he's just really, really messed up in the head and pretends that when his mom lets him fold the shirts at the laundromat that he's actually pursuing a career. But it's nice to see Mere is still a complete dumbass when it comes to her opinion of the contestants...

$2000
Deliveryman Doug Heffernan and his spitfire wife Carrie cope with the trials of married life on what popular sitcom?

This guy's allegedly from Harlem, and they give him a question about a show from Queens. At least they have a TV at the laundromat....

$4000
Accessible only by rafting, hiking, or riding a mule, Phantom Ranch is a popular lodge

B: Yellow Stone

Meredith asks him how he knows this one. Steve says he thinks he knows if from an episode of the Brady Bunch, although he's really not sure.

Most people would've known it by being able to figure the damn thing out. It isn't that hard to figure out which park has mule rides. Doesn't your TV viewing affect the quality of your folding?

$8000
Echoing the themes of her five other New York Times bestsellers, a 2007 book by guru Suze Orman is titled "Women and" what?

The word "guru" gets thrown around an awful lot nowadays, and usually gets attached to people who don't deserve it like Miss Suzie here. A guru is supposed to have superior intelligence, like me. Please, feel free to call me a guru, but not some nutjob who tries to push their agenda on us in the form of self-help books...

$16000
What is the term for the irregular "torn" edge often seen on invitations made from handmade paper?

ATA:

I'll bet our folding guru here knows how to fold paper without creating any torn edges. No wonder he had to ATA on this question...

When Steve got the call to be on the show, he was at the laundromat doing his laundry in Harlem.

Oh wow, who would have guessed! Shame on you for interrupting his intense session of folding shirts....

He couldn't jump

Was Danielle taking notes as they led her out of the studio? Mere makes yet another contestant make a fool out of himself for no good reason. Not that I particularly feel sorry for our folding dumbass here, but still the point stands...

$25000

Steve hasn't seen the opera but he has seen "Rent", which is based on "La Boheme".

I've never watched "Dumb and Dumber", but I've watched this show which is based on "Dumb and Dumber". But that wouldn't help me answer a question about "Dumb and Dumber"....

50/50

He was thinking Mimi, however he decides to call his friend Eric. You can definitely hear
typing in the background.

I was expecting to hear the sound of folding laundry in the background. Don't you T-shirt folders hang around with your fellow folding fools?

Eric says he thinks it's Mimi. Steve asks how sure and as time runs out it sounds like he says 50/50.

Brilliant, Eric! Steve is no better off now since he already had folded this question in half to achieve a 50/50 position. Instead of wasting all that breath with your useless guess, you may as well have just opened your mouth and sprayed a whole can of starch in it....

Steve says Eric's mind is like a computer.

That was the sound of all the synapses snapping while Eric tried to do some heavy thinking while under the influence of fabric softener...

Meredith tells Steve he knew it before he made that phone call.

Yeah right, Joe Isuzu. And you're really a goddamn professional T-shirt folder....

$50000
In a landmark 1978 Supreme Court case concerning affirmative action, plaintiff Allan Bakke claimed he was wrongly denied what?

He decides to switch the question. His answer would have been A - promotion at work.

I guess you had no idea that a university was on the other end of that case, did you Inspector 12? I have a feeling you're about to make one of your most impressive folds in front of a national audience....

$50000
Legendary football coach Knute Rockne was also an instructor in what department at Notre Dame?

Steve is not a big Notre Dame fan. He guesses B - Philosophy and leaves with $25000.

Regis would have never let you live this down, and he'd have probably been just as critical of you for your alleged occupation. Maybe you can take that 25 grand and go find a real college that'll train you for a real occupation. Then again, I'd hate to see your mom doing your laundry all alone in a Harlem laundromat without her precious little folder by her side....

Nihil Obstat®
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: Transcript 5/21/2008 Steve Mahoney

#4 Post by etaoin22 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:36 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Transcript May 21, 2008

Steve Mahoney
New York, NY

$100

$200

$300

$500

$1000

Commercial break.

$2000

$4000

$8000

$16000

ATA:

Commercial Break

When Steve got the call to be on the show, he was at the laundromat doing his laundry in Harlem. He couldn't jump

$25000

50/50

typing in the background. Eric says he thinks it's Mimi. Steve asks how sure and as time runs out it sounds like he says 50/50.
Steve says Eric's mind is like a computer. Meredith tells Steve he knew it before he made that phone call.

Commercial break

$50000

$50000

Answers:

$100 B - A pail of water
$200 D - Dream
$300 C - Cities
$500 D - Flies
$1000 B - Merry-go-round ride
$2000 D - The King of Queens
$4000 A - Grand Canyon
$8000 B - Money
$16000 D - Deckle edge
$25000 C - Mimi
$50000 C - Medical school admission
$50000 A - Chemistry
I am inclined to agree with MBFFB about the fun "T-shirt folding" would have generated with Regis Philbin. Oh boy, would it have ever. Amateur tall story raconteur competing with the pro of them all.

Bakke's problem was in part not only was he a WG he was almost a MAWG. I think nowadays not much problem with med school, but no chance whatsoever for a game show....

(he was an engineer wishing to change caneers, rejected at age 33 and age 34, admitted at age 39, trained in anesthesiology at the Mayo Clinic, and started his practice at age 47. I believe he is retired now).

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Steve Mahoney
New York, NY

I say he's still a WE®.

$16K: I also have to ATA.

$25K: I also have to PAF.

$50K: NAFC®. Switch it.

$50K #2: Take the 50:50 and see what's left. I would not have guessed chemistry unless the 50:50 left that and microbiology.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Thu May 22, 2008 5:39 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Steve Mahoney
New York, NY

And does his laundry at a laundromat, where he got the call. He said he didn't want to freak out there, so he had to wait through a spin cycle and then go home before doing so. He even demonstrated his "happy dance".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Steve is a literacy teacher. Nights & weekends he is a professional tee shirt folder. There is an art & skill involved. There are several different types of folds. There are tee shirt folding classes, seminars, workshops. Tee shirt folding is very serious. He gets his tee shirt folding fill at work & doesn't bring it home with him. Meredith thinks Steve is a very funny guy.
I didn't think he was so funny. OTOH I've never heard of a professional T-shirt folder.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16000

ATA:
It's either B or D and I associate "matte" with a finish, rather than an edge, so make D my final answer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25000

Steve hasn't seen the opera but he has seen "Rent", which is based on "La Boheme". He has an idea, but is not certain.

50/50

He was thinking Mimi, however he decides to call his friend Eric. You can definitely hear typing in the background. Eric says he thinks it's Mimi. Steve asks how sure and as time runs out it sounds like he says 50/50. Meredith says she could hear his mind working. Steve says Eric's mind is like a computer. Meredith tells Steve he knew it before he made that phone call.
It seemed as if Eric was reading the question and someone else was doing the actual typing. As for me, I'd have gone with ATA on this one and hope the audience knew it.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50000

Denied admission to the University of California, as Meredith later indicated.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50000

I wouldn't have seen this one, but would have known the answer had it come up in the stack. So I'd be going for $100K with 50/50, PAF and STQ still remaining.

The horn sounded as Steve exited the Hot Seat - no carryover for today's show.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Thu May 22, 2008 5:42 am

MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote:$25000

I've never watched "Dumb and Dumber", but I've watched this show which is based on "Dumb and Dumber". But that wouldn't help me answer a question about "Dumb and Dumber"....
And it wouldn't have helped me, either. :sigh:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 22, 2008 7:18 am

MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote:I'll bet you aren't even really from Harlem....
As the article I posted yesterday said, he's originally from Upstate! :)

Now I believe he'd be one of those contributing to the gentrification of Harlem.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Thu May 22, 2008 4:01 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$4000

Did they really spell "Yellow Stone" like that -- two words?

I'm hoping the transcriber was responsible for that, not the show's writers. (I forgive the transcriber, as undoubtedly it was a mere typo, and I thank him or her for the effort. I would not forgive a member of the professional writing staff, which presumably has sufficient resources to double-check this sort of thing.)

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#10 Post by kayrharris » Thu May 22, 2008 4:58 pm

I don't know if I saved it the show or not, but I'll take full responsibility & probably won't go back to check it.

I will admit I was in a hurry and just wanted to get the damn thing done.
I don't even think, I just mostly type.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin