DC dwellers advice sought

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

DC dwellers advice sought

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 21, 2008 3:53 pm

I'm not even sure we even have DC dwellers on the list.

But anyway:

I am going to this family event in DC Saturday. Event starts 4:00pm, should run about 2 hours, party immediately thereafter, should run at least a couple/three hours.

My cousin, who I have been instructed not to call because they have Event on their head right now, sent convoluted directions to the hall that basically say "if you drive, you'll be sorry". RFK Stadium parking restrictions apply to the site, don't apply about 3 blocks away, but normally tight DC parking will be in effect those 3 blocks away.

OK, Metro directions are great for people who live in DC or are taking a 4 hour train from NYC, but I'm coming from Boston. Metro (or a cab) will only work easily for me if I take the Amtrak train, & the hours of arrival & leaving are inconvenient, to say the least, on that 8 hour train. I've got a rental car reserved that I can drive down in, in which case I will be driving. If I decide to fly after all, providing I still can, I'll also be renting a car, because although you can take the Metro from DC Reagan Airport (I think!) the hours are really inconvenient; I'd be sitting awake in an airport all night for at least 1/2 the trip. Beats sitting awake without a car at the hall's address. With a car, I can go find a place to camp out & sleep instead. Might be smart to find a lot to park that car in; I tried, but of course the nearest is RFK Stadium, & that's going to be zoolike when a game's on. Also, the hours might not correspond to the event timetable. Too much to gamble on.

So: If you're trying to park on or around 8th Street 3 blocks north of where 8th, North Carolina SE & Independence Ave intersect, is this as hopeless as trying to park in Boston's Back Bay? There are actually parking garages, albeit expensive ones, in the Back Bay; will I find them around this place?

And yes, I do know what a bear it is to drive in DC through those mega-traffic-circle intersections La Fontaine (or however he spelled it) designed. I may never find the intersection in the 1st place if I drive.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#2 Post by sunflower » Wed May 21, 2008 4:03 pm

A friend of mine recently drove down there. The two things I can recommend are either driving to a metro station just outside of DC and leaving your car, or staying in a hotel just outside of DC and taking their shuttle. A lot of the hotels in the area have free hourly (or other regular interval) shuttles.

If you're interested, I can find out which station he went to, he chose that first option. I think it was about 25 minutes into the heart of DC, but no parking or traffic issues. The only thing that I remember was that there was a 5 Guys Burgers and Fries near the station, which I'm guessing is not enough info to find it. Let me know and I can get more information.

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 21, 2008 4:17 pm

I am interested. My thought is to drive, try to park, & if it really doesn't work out, then head for some lot. This requires plenty of time, but if I drive the whole route, leaving Boston Friday night, camping en route & arriving in DC Saturday morning, I'll be tired but be there in plenty of time. The joke is that if you tried to do MTA parking in Boston the way I'd like to do Metro parking in DC, you'd probably get towed; the T lots I've seen are singularly unhelpful to people who do not have some kind of sticker because they're regular passengers.

If your friend was able to park a "not regular customer car" in a DC Metro lot, that's very good news. The nearest Metro to where I'm going is called "Eastern Market Stop" on the orange & blue lines. Bet it doesn't have a lot there, but further out on one of the lines there might be one.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 21, 2008 4:28 pm

Wow; Addison Road/Seat Pleasant & Deanwood both are closest & seem to have spaces; now I just have to find out their hours. And the worst thing that could happen in a closed parking lot is I wait there in my car 'til the darn place opens.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 21, 2008 4:31 pm

The rail doesn't close in DC 'til 3:00am Saturday night. Zoom! Not like Boston (we all but roll up the sidewalks by 1:00pm).

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#6 Post by sunflower » Wed May 21, 2008 5:09 pm

I have an email out and will let you know when I hear.

For some reason I want to say the station had "green" in the name...but I could be making that up. Plus he was talking about 5 different stations so the best thing for me to do is wait to find out, otherwise I could steer you totally wrong!!!

But yes, he definitely was not a regular parker...he was in his car from CT and parked for a few hours and then left without incident.

nitrah55

#7 Post by nitrah55 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:12 am

I do not live in DC. Beloved Son attends college there.

The only time I drive there is when I'm carting his stuff. Otherwise, it's train or plane.

Wishing you the best of luck...
I am about 25% sure of this.