The Commitments

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

The Commitments

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Tonight we watched The Commitments with the girls. I haven't seen the movie since it first came out and forgot what a cute movie it is.

It's rated "R" for language. They certainly say the "F" word a lot in Ireland. It's not like the kids have never heard the word.

The best line of the movie: Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:58 pm

I always check out IMDB after seeing a movie. One of the singers in the movie, Maria Doyle Kennedy plays Catherine in The Tudors.

The red-headed actor who plays guitar in the movie is one of the leads in the movie Once a movie that I really wanted to see about two singer-songwriters. (It's out on DVD in December.)

Roddy Doyle who wrote the movie (along with The Snapper and The Van) also wrote two of my daughter's favorite children's books The Giggler Treatment and Rover Saves Christmas.

wbtravis007

#3 Post by wbtravis007 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:01 pm

I've never heard of this movie. I'll check it out, though.

Seeing your post reminds me of a good one that I haven't thought of in awhile: Waking Ned Devine.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:09 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:I've never heard of this movie.

Sacrilege! Horror! You've wasted every ordinary Saturday night of your life!

If you'd like, themanintheseersuckersuit and I will be happy to provide a musical rendition of the entire sound track. If I'm feeling particularly artistic, I will don my best Irish accent to offer an occasional bit of dialogue, "Fook!"

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:05 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:I've never heard of this movie. I'll check it out, though.

Seeing your post reminds me of a good one that I haven't thought of in awhile: Waking Ned Devine.
That's another good movie!

If you liked Waking Ned Devine, you should also try the movie Millions.