Transcript 05/22/08 - Jason Adler

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/22/08 - Jason Adler

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu May 22, 2008 6:50 pm

Jason Adler
Tucson, AZ

The past two years have been life changing for Jason; he got married and became a dad. Jason's wife, Carolyn, is in the audience.

Jason is also a triathlete; he's going to take the game the same way. He runs the marathon by running one mile 26 times, so today he's going to answer one question 15 times.

$100
People having a friendly chat are said to be "chewing the" what?

A: Fat B: Leather
C: Paper D: Hubba Bubba

$200
"American Educator" is a quarterly journal published by what U.S. labor union?

A: United Auto Workers B: American Federation of Teachers
C: Air Line Pilots Association D: United American Nurses

$300
Which of these adjectives is commonly used to describe members of a liberal political party?

A: Left-wing B: Rear-wing
C: East-wing D: Side-wing

$500
In a 1983 hit single, "backstreet guy" Billy Joel states his intention to woo what kind of "Girl"?

A: Jet-Set B: Southern
C: Prep School D: Uptown

$1,000
In 1994, the Smithsonian Institution acquired a leather jumpsuit and a Harley-Davidson motorcycle once owned by whom?

A: Jim Henson B: Harry Carey
C: Evel Knievel D: Liberace

$2,000
Which of these breakfast products is commonly packaged in a cylinder?

A: Wheaties B: Pop-Tarts
C: Bisquick D: Quaker Oats

$4,000
Featuring a large red circle on a white field, what country's flag is known as "hinomaru" or "circle of the sun"?

A: Japan B: India
C: Brazil D: Sweden

$8,000
Premiering in 2007, the acclaimed cable drama "Mad Men" primarily chronicles the lives of characters working in what industry?

A: Law B: Entertainment
C: Advertising D: Culinary arts

ATA: A: 5% B: 4% C: 86% D: 5%

-- Commercial Break --

$16,000
The 18th Amendment to the Constitution, which legislated Prohibition, was later repealed by what other amendment?

A: 21st B: 22nd
C: 23rd D: 24th

PAF: Jason calls Dan, his wife's uncle.

Dan: 21st sticks in my mind, but it's kind of an estimate. I would say I'm about 65% sure.

Jason: Okay. Thank you.

50/50 leaves A & D.

Jason repeats the saying about trusting your first instincts. The 24th jumped out at him but the 21st jumped out at Uncle Dan. Jason says Uncle Dan knows his history, so he goes with 21st, final answer.

Carolyn is very excited in the audience. She trusted Uncle Dan on that one.

$25,000
Mount Elbrus is the highest peak on what continent?

A: Antarctica B: Europe
C: South America D: Australia

Jason thinks that in Europe it would be one of the Alps.

Jason walks with $16,000.

-- Commercial Break --

Answers:
$100: A: Fat
$200: B: American Federation of Teachers
$300: A: Left-wing
$500: D: Uptown
$1,000: C: Evel Knievel
$2,000: D: Quaker Oats
$4,000: A: Japan
$8,000: C: Advertising
$16,000: A: 21st
$25,000: B: Europe

MyBigFatFabulousBrain
Merry Man

#2 Post by MyBigFatFabulousBrain » Thu May 22, 2008 10:10 pm

Jason Adler
Tucson, AZ

The past two years have been life changing for Jason; he got married and became a dad. Jason's wife, Carolyn, is in the audience.

I sure hope this show isn't strike three for you, but I'm not going to hold out hope....

Jason is also a triathlete; he's going to take the game the same way. He runs the marathon by running one mile 26 times, so today he's going to answer one question 15 times.

That sounds like a really idiotic philosphy, Jason. By the time you're running your 15th one mile race, the rest of the marathoners who focused on the whole 26 miles are relaxing in a lawn chair waiting for you to chug across the finish line so the race can finally be official. Likewise, you're not going to answer one question 15 times on this show, you're gonna be answering 15 different questions, about 10 of which you're probably going to stumble over....

$100
People having a friendly chat are said to be "chewing the" what?

A: Fat B: Leather
C: Paper D: Hubba Bubba

$200
"American Educator" is a quarterly journal published by what U.S. labor union?

A: United Auto Workers B: American Federation of Teachers
C: Air Line Pilots Association D: United American Nurses

$300
Which of these adjectives is commonly used to describe members of a liberal political party?

A: Left-wing B: Rear-wing
C: East-wing D: Side-wing

$500
In a 1983 hit single, "backstreet guy" Billy Joel states his intention to woo what kind of "Girl"?

A: Jet-Set B: Southern
C: Prep School D: Uptown

$1,000
In 1994, the Smithsonian Institution acquired a leather jumpsuit and a Harley-Davidson motorcycle once owned by whom?

A: Jim Henson B: Harry Carey
C: Evel Knievel D: Liberace

These have got to be the most ridiculous distractors in the history of this show. Harry Carey (sic)??? Jim Henson??? Friggin' Liberace!?!?!? He might've had a pair of leather assless chaps, but not the jacket to go with it....

$2,000
Which of these breakfast products is commonly packaged in a cylinder?

A: Wheaties B: Pop-Tarts
C: Bisquick D: Quaker Oats

Jessica probably gets a concussion when she opens one of these cylinders...

$4,000
Featuring a large red circle on a white field, what country's flag is known as "hinomaru" or "circle of the sun"?

A: Japan B: India
C: Brazil D: Sweden

That's a pretty boring flag, one that you can't really ask any good questions about, right SSS?

$8,000
Premiering in 2007, the acclaimed cable drama "Mad Men" primarily chronicles the lives of characters working in what industry?

Two straight 8K questions about cable shows nobody watches! Then there was that ignorant buttpirate reality show question from yesterday. Can't Michael Davies just let the cable bill for the dungeon lapse?

$16,000
The 18th Amendment to the Constitution, which legislated Prohibition, was later repealed by what other amendment?

A: 21st B: 22nd
C: 23rd D: 24th

PAF: Jason calls Dan, his wife's uncle.

There is no excuse for not knowing this. Amendments are taught in every American history and civics class in this country...

Dan: 21st sticks in my mind, but it's kind of an estimate. I would say I'm about 65% sure.

An estimate!?!?!? Who in the hell estimates Constitutional amendments? What are you, a damn mechanic!?!?!?

Jason: Okay. Thank you.

50/50 leaves A & D.

Thank God for the 21st Amendment, so I can drown my sorrows after watching yet another mind-numbing episode of this show...

Jason repeats the saying about trusting your first instincts. The 24th jumped out at him but the 21st jumped out at Uncle Dan. Jason says Uncle Dan knows his history, so he goes with 21st, final answer.

Uncle Dan may be pretty good at giving estimates, but he's not particularly fluent in history. And you, marathon man, are doomed to repeat the dreadful history of all the previous dumbasses on this show...

Carolyn is very excited in the audience. She trusted Uncle Dan on that one.

Carolyn probably cheers you on as you kill yourself running 26 different races while all your competitors are running one. Uncle Dan can't attend because he's too busy ripping off old ladies with his overestimates at his repair shop....

$25,000

So much for the 10th leg of your race. This time you weren't taken down by a cramp, a pulled hamstring, or just not being able to breathe. This time, you had to quit the race because your brain got overheated. The next time anyone comes on this show and compares it to running a marathon, I'm going to get out my starter's pistol.... which I hope is still fully loaded....

Nihil Obstat®
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 05/22/08 - Jason Adler

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:53 am

Nihil obstat®

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 23, 2008 6:40 am

MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote:$8,000

Two straight 8K questions about cable shows nobody watches! Then there was that ignorant buttpirate reality show question from yesterday. Can't Michael Davies just let the cable bill for the dungeon lapse?
Not only two $8K questions in a row about cable shows, but both of them began with "Premiering in 2007". I thought I was having deja vu!

But at least I heard of this show.

Nihil obstat®

slam

#5 Post by slam » Fri May 23, 2008 7:33 am

Would it have been too obnoxious to mention the names of the highest mountains on each of the other continents mentioned before finally choosing the correct answer? :)

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 23, 2008 7:47 am

slam wrote:Would it have been too obnoxious to mention the names of the highest mountains on each of the other continents mentioned before finally choosing the correct answer? :)
You mean Vinson Massif, Aconcagua and Mt. Kosciusko?

Yes, definitely too obnoxious! 8)

KillerTomato

#7 Post by KillerTomato » Fri May 23, 2008 8:19 am

Until a couple of years ago, I'd have needed help on the amendment q too. Then JBG (IIRC) gave me a great mnemonic for these two: in many states, the drinking age was 18 (the amendment establishing Prohibition), but now it's 21 (the amendment abolishing it).

Thanks, Jess!

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Fri May 23, 2008 3:05 pm

$8K: I think it's advertising, but I'd ATA too.
$16K: I know Prohibition only lasted a few decades, so it couldn't be the 23rd or 24th Amendment. PAF or 50/50.
$25K: I'm sure Mont Blanc is the highest peak in Europe. Off I'd go with my $1K check.

Thousandaire

#9 Post by Thousandaire » Fri May 23, 2008 3:32 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Not only two $8K questions in a row about cable shows, but both of them began with "Premiering in 2007". I thought I was having deja vu!

But at least I heard of this show.
Mad Men is the best show on TV (in my humble opinion). The writing is subtle and the acting excellent.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen/

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Tue May 27, 2008 6:27 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jason Adler
Tucson, AZ

I wonder how soon after the marriage he became a father. :roll:

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8,000

Cable TV shows have become the new $8K movie question, it seems. I haven't watched the show but I recall the promotional stuff.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000

Mt. Elbrus is in the Caucasus Mountains, so technically it's in Europe (west of the Urals). During WWII there was a propaganda photo made of a group of German soldiers scaling the mountain and planting the swastika flag atop it. When Hitler learned of it he went into a rage and court-martialled the officer who ordered it.

Another nihil obstat® stack for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."