Seeking EVERYONE'S Opinion On Proposed Political Forum

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

Re: Seeking EVERYONE'S Opinion On Proposed Political Forum

#51 Post by franktangredi » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:53 am

BackInTex wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:12 pm
SportsFan68 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:42 am
Many replies to political assertions indicate a relish for the fight, not the possibility that it might change some minds.
In some cases, it's not the relish for a fight, but perhaps a test or trial run of expressing a position here where one may know it will be picked apart by some very good pick-a-aparters. Sor of a debate practice field, if you will.
That's an ideal situation. If people would pick apart people's arguments instead of one another ... and if people actually listened and responded to what the pick-aparters were saying ... that would be a real debate. And I don't think anyone would object to that.

franktangredi

#52 Post by franktangredi » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:58 am

After giving this a lot of thought, I've come down on the side of not creating a separate forum. I think the reasons given against it have been compelling.

What I really objected to in the first place was those posts whose entire reason for being was to bait or mock someone else. And you can often recognize those by the subject line alone. And to say "Well, you don't have to read them" doesn't help when the very subject line is what creates the nasty atmosphere.

We're all adults here. Some people have already pledged to tone down the nastiness and personal attacks. I don't see why everyone can't do it.

mellytu74

#53 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:24 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:45 pm
I would like to repeat my suggestion of getting a Games Archive forum. Frank's games are all in a single thread each so finding and moving them should be easy. Other multi-day games would require a bit more work, but you could put all the daily threads for one game into a single subforum. (I'm not sure we need the promos, delightful as they are, but that's a matter for the Bored to decide.)
Seconding.

mellytu74

#54 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:26 am

Vandal wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:24 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:45 pm
I'm not sure we need the promos...
Say what, now?
Nooooooooooooooooooo.

PROMOS!!! PROMOS!!!

mellytu74

#55 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:37 am

In light of the number of Bored Buddies who have returned to weigh in on this, I hope that people will stay and make this a vibrant place again. It won't be the glory days, but it can still be a community.

So, I changed my vote to no separate forum. With this caveat - if it is nothing BUT political posts, people won't come. Or, basically, what it is now.

I have been guilty of not posting other stuff - or not posting at all. I promise to do better.

So, no to a new forum.

But YES YES YES YES TO PROMOS!!!!!!!!

Spock

#56 Post by Spock » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:51 am

I am not changing my vote.

I would love to see a separate forum where obvious political threads are posted.

If anything posted here goes political-so be it-latitude is required and if it goes hard in that direction- a thread on that topic could be started on the political forum-

AND-we need more FLUFF.

As I said earlier-post stuff even if it seems stupid.

silverscreenselect

#57 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:59 pm

Spock wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:51 am
AND-we need more FLUFF.

As I said earlier-post stuff even if it seems stupid.
For what it's worth, I just checked and only one out of the most recent 19 threads on the Bored is a political thread.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Earl the Squirrel

#58 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:21 pm

I think you're essentially rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic at this point...

That being said, I don't use the Facebook and didn't even know there was a page there. If there's actually a decent amount of members and/or engagement, maybe you've got a shot.

The main case for a separate political forum isn't the rude assholes (have you thought about a separate rude asshole forum where they can all go to cast aspersions and vent their spleens on each other?), it's that they post a lot of long ass subject titles that are often pointed in nature and, if thing aren't going to their liking they just post another one with a long ass pointed title, so anything else with an appropriate, brief title gets swamped. I generally only come on if I get a PM notification but I'll look to see what's going on, see a a long line of posts with long ass pointed titles and then go on about my day.

The major problem, in my opinion, is that the flowers are choked out by the weeds so fast that they never get a chance to bloom.

The big hubbub about trying to figure out if something turns political is so simple. Be an adult like most civilized fora and just say "taking my response to the political forum" (or rude asshole forum as the case may be).

flockofseagulls104

#59 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:55 pm

Hard to tell, but it seems like many who had originally liked the idea of a separate political forum changed their minds after some points were made. But one was made anyway. Called the 'rude asshole' forum. I think that shows a viewpoint.
I just don't like segregation. The reason I post is mainly because a certain faction of this group posts their political narrative only. I am not the only voice pushing back on it, but I think I am the loudest one. And the only reason it gets rude is because they don't like me contradicting them, so they get personal. And I give it back to them. I was hoping that my posts would provide a different perspective to those who are not chained to the unfortunate current narrative, but that didn't work out. I tried in several different ways, but the trolls didn't give up.
Maybe you don't like the political posts. Fine. But to segregate them? I think it's a bad idea.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton