RIP Bob Knight

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

RIP Bob Knight

#1 Post by Vandal » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:06 pm

Coaching legend Bob Knight, famous for both victories and outbursts, dies at 83

He was brilliant. He was a bully. He coached some of the most perfectly disciplined basketball ever played, and then acted undisciplined in his own life.

He was an American original and a cultural touchstone with oversized impact, in ways good and, yes, sometimes less so.

You could say Bob Knight was a product of his time, but even half a century ago he pushed the edges of proper conduct; attempting, say, to beat down the door to the referee’s dressing room was frowned upon back in the 1970 NIT as well.

Complicated? They don't get much more complicated than Robert Montgomery Knight, one of the greatest coaches of all time. He combined a demanding will and a legendary temper to become as famous for his authoritarian outbursts as decades of dominance highlighted by three national college basketball titles.

Knight died on Wednesday at his home in Bloomington, Indiana after a lengthy illness, his family announced. The Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer was 83.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-legen ... 23902.html
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Pastor Fireball

Re: RIP Bob Knight

#2 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:53 am

Folding chairs are flying at half-staff.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Earl the Squirrel

#3 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:49 am

Vandal wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:06 pm
Coaching legend Bob Knight, famous for both victories and outbursts, dies at 83

He was brilliant. He was a bully. He coached some of the most perfectly disciplined basketball ever played, and then acted undisciplined in his own life.

He was an American original and a cultural touchstone with oversized impact, in ways good and, yes, sometimes less so.

You could say Bob Knight was a product of his time, but even half a century ago he pushed the edges of proper conduct; attempting, say, to beat down the door to the referee’s dressing room was frowned upon back in the 1970 NIT as well.

Complicated? They don't get much more complicated than Robert Montgomery Knight, one of the greatest coaches of all time. He combined a demanding will and a legendary temper to become as famous for his authoritarian outbursts as decades of dominance highlighted by three national college basketball titles.

Knight died on Wednesday at his home in Bloomington, Indiana after a lengthy illness, his family announced. The Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer was 83.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-legen ... 23902.html
When I saw on this stupid newsbreak on my phone, I thought it was some outdated headline (they are also the kings of misleading come ons) because I could have sworn that he passed a few years ago. Now I'm trying to remember a similar college coach I could be confusing him with (although who could be confused with Bob Knight?). Just another example of the Mandela Effect, I guess.

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:06 am

You may just be remembering the "victory lap" he got in Bloomington a few years ago, when it became clear his dementia was not going to get better. They trotted him out for several events that season (Woodson's first as head coach) so that he might still remember a little of what was going on.

He hadn't really been seen in public since then.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:28 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:06 am
when it became clear his dementia was not going to get better. They trotted him out for several events that season (Woodson's first as head coach) so that he might still remember a little of what was going on.
This line really struck home. I remember the last few months when Mrs. SSS was still living with me and just after she went into the home when I tried to arrange various activities and get-togethers while she still had some idea what was going on. Now, she barely recognizes her daughters and didn't remember her brother when he went to visit her yesterday.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com