Newly released Beatles song Now and Then

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

Newly released Beatles song Now and Then

#1 Post by Vandal » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:46 pm

It’s not a grand finale. It’s a wistful postscript.

“Now and Then,” released on Thursday, is billed by its label, Apple Corps, as “the last Beatles song.” It’s a lost-love song reconstructed from a piano-and-vocal demo that John Lennon recorded in the late 1970s, well after the Beatles broke up. Yoko Ono brought it and other Lennon demos to the surviving Beatles in 1994.

Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr began building an arrangement around Lennon’s recording in 1995, the year they released another posthumous song, “Free as a Bird,” on the compilation album “Anthology 1,” followed by “Real Love” on “Anthology 2” in 1996. “Now and Then” is also, inevitably, a marketing tool. It’s the previously unreleased material added to the expanded, remixed reissue of “The Beatles 1967-1970,” which arrives on Nov. 10 paired with an expanded, remixed version of “The Beatles 1962-1966.” Those two compilations are better known as the Blue and Red albums.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/02/arts ... -song.html
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Ritterskoop

Re: Newly released Beatles song Now and Then

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:51 pm

I had read that they'd used some AI to smooth over a few things, but it still sounds plenty hissy and raw (in a good way), to me, so I don't mind. I was sure that was George on guitar, but then saw Paul listed in the credits on slide guitar, so, good for him.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:29 pm

Mrs BiT and I saw Beatles LOVE (cirque du soleil at the Mirage) last night. It is fabulous. The performers were magnificent. I wish I could do what they do. I wonder if they have a training program. Maybe I’ll apply for the fat guy speaker role.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:17 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:29 pm
Mrs BiT and I saw Beatles LOVE (cirque du soleil at the Mirage) last night. It is fabulous. The performers were magnificent. I wish I could do what they do. I wonder if they have a training program. Maybe I’ll apply for the fat guy speaker role.
I saw that twenty years ago. I was never a huge fan, but liked the show.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:37 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:17 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:29 pm
I saw that twenty years ago. I was never a huge fan, but liked the show.
I only opened 17 years ago (2006).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:14 pm

If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.