A Possible Reason for No Alien Sightings

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

A Possible Reason for No Alien Sightings

#1 Post by Spock » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:48 pm

Never heard or thought of this before.

I am reading "When the Heavens Went on Sale" a new book on some of the new rocket and satellite companies. Very little on SpaceX-more on the newer, smaller companies in the field.

It is the most "rocket-sciencey" (at a very simplistic and lay level of course) book that I think I have read.

One of the main guys said the good news is that we can even be talking about such things (rockets and so forth) because if the earth was just a bit larger with a bit stronger gravity we simply could not go to Space.

So, we might be in a sweet spot where the earth is just small enough that we can make it to Space, but civilizations on slightly larger planets might not be able to make that jump.

mrkelley23

Re: A Possible Reason for No Alien Sightings

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:51 pm

Two things: 1) it is difficult to overstate how many "sweet spots" we occupy. Size, distance from the Sun, magnetic fields, etc. 2) But those "sweet spots" really only apply to narrow definitions of life as we know it. There could be life forms on other planets that are far, far different than us.

The main difficulty is still the vast distances involved.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:00 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:51 pm
Two things: 1) it is difficult to overstate how many "sweet spots" we occupy. Size, distance from the Sun, magnetic fields, etc. 2) But those "sweet spots" really only apply to narrow definitions of life as we know it. There could be life forms on other planets that are far, far different than us.

The main difficulty is still the vast distances involved.
Yeah, the issues with distance suck.

This book doesn't touch anything beyond the moon (so far) and has mostly dealt with small new companies with smaller rockets putting small satellites in low earth orbit.

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:04 pm

Dammit. I was really counting on having options...
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:05 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:04 pm
Dammit. I was really counting on having options...
Of course-maybe the distance doesn't suck-if it protects us from bad aliens.

David Quammen (my favorite popular conservation writer) in "Monster of God" said that the saddest thing ever (even worse than bad aliens etc) would be if we are alone.

In addition to the "Space" book I am also reading Quammen's "Heartbeat of the Wild" and he mentions a major African wildlife migration that may not have been known to science until the early oughts-IOW-the Bored and its earlier iterations might be older than this knowledge.

Michael Fay (of Megatransect and Megaflyover fame) spotted an antelope migration (during the megaflyover) of maybe millions of kob and other antelope from the South Sudan to Ethiopia-not sure if science knew of the migration prior to that.

I had previously read about it in a book on land grabs in Africa and the risk to this migration.

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:03 am

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי