"Duel" casting calls: Orlando, Vegas, Dayton, nex

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
thguy65

"Duel" casting calls: Orlando, Vegas, Dayton, nex

#1 Post by thguy65 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:14 am

Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:13 pm

I don't have two weeks to give up, especially around the holidays :(

thguy65

#3 Post by thguy65 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:19 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I don't have two weeks to give up, especially around the holidays :(
Too bad. They would really love to have someone like you.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/tlg/461458397.html
Tim H.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:47 pm

Too bad; I'm leaving Las Vegas on Tuesday. :(

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:48 pm

thguy65 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I don't have two weeks to give up, especially around the holidays :(

It's tempting, but I am still digging out of my last vacation. Plus I am sick and I don't think that I have it in my to be energetic and exciting enough for casting people.

TheConfessor

#6 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:07 pm

Tim, thanks as always for posting this. Why would this require a two week commitment? I'd be interested, but I think I signed something for Grand Slam that makes me ineligible until February. Though I don't see how it's enforceable for contestants who didn't win anything.

thguy65

#7 Post by thguy65 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:12 pm

TheConfessor wrote:Tim, thanks as always for posting this. Why would this require a two week commitment? I'd be interested, but I think I signed something for Grand Slam that makes me ineligible until February. Though I don't see how it's enforceable for contestants who didn't win anything.
From what I know, it's tournament-style like Grand Slam, but since there is no clock to limit the length of a game, just whoever is out of "chips" first, it could take a long time to finish each duel. Each round of the tournament could take a very long time to tape.
Tim H.

15QuestionsAway

Duel casting

#8 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:35 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
thguy65 wrote:

It's tempting, but I am still digging out of my last vacation. Plus I am sick and I don't think that I have it in my to be energetic and exciting enough for casting people.
I went to the production company's office in West Hollywood on Friday to try out. It's a multiple day process - first day is trivia test, hyper-long application and group interview with a casting producer. The on-line application is what you should expect.

If they like you, they bring you back next week for an on-camera audition. You only need a short burst of energy in the last part. I definitely wasn't at my best - the post-fire air has knocked me down a bit. We'll see how it goes though.

Hey thguy - do you know if it's the same format as "Tout le monde veut prendre sa place"? (Wikipedia entry (French)) Not too many details about the show were given at the audition, but it sounds like they will need quite a few people. And do you have some connection with this show?

thguy65

Re: Duel casting

#9 Post by thguy65 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:42 pm

15QuestionsAway wrote: Hey thguy - do you know if it's the same format as "Tout le monde veut prendre sa place"? (Wikipedia entry (French)) Not too many details about the show were given at the audition, but it sounds like they will need quite a few people. And do you have some connection with this show?
I don't know French, so I can't comment on the Wiki.
My knowledge of the gameplay comes from Buzzerblog.
http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/du ... formation/

My only connection with the show is as an aspiring contestant.
Tim H.

15QuestionsAway

#10 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:28 pm

thguy65 wrote:
15QuestionsAway wrote: Hey thguy - do you know if it's the same format as "Tout le monde veut prendre sa place"? (Wikipedia entry (French)) Not too many details about the show were given at the audition, but it sounds like they will need quite a few people. And do you have some connection with this show?
I don't know French, so I can't comment on the Wiki.
My knowledge of the gameplay comes from Buzzerblog.
http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/du ... formation/

My only connection with the show is as an aspiring contestant.
Thanks for the link. I haven't been to Bother's Bar in ages!

Anyway, after a bit more digging, I found it is the same show. The French title means "Everyone Wants to Take His Place". Michael Davies has a game show that was tentatively called "Hold Onto Your Seat" in development, and bits and pieces I heard about the format sounded similar.

I found an article linking "Hold Onto Your Seat" to Duel. The French format has 6 players - 5 of which challenge the reigning champion. It's a half hour show that airs 6 times a week.

The US version sounds like it is going to be an hour long and may involve up to 25 people per episode. It sounds like a fun and entertaining format to watch, but it is winner take all for contestants.

Best of luck getting on!

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:26 am

15QuestionsAway wrote: The US version sounds like it is going to be an hour long and may involve up to 25 people per episode. It sounds like a fun and entertaining format to watch, but it is winner take all for contestants.
25 people per episode--24 of whom leave with nothing--and they're requiring a multi-day interview process? :shock:

thguy65

#12 Post by thguy65 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:44 am

15QuestionsAway wrote:
Anyway, after a bit more digging, I found it is the same show. The French title means "Everyone Wants to Take His Place". Michael Davies has a game show that was tentatively called "Hold Onto Your Seat" in development, and bits and pieces I heard about the format sounded similar.

I found an article linking "Hold Onto Your Seat" to Duel. The French format has 6 players - 5 of which challenge the reigning champion. It's a half hour show that airs 6 times a week.

The US version sounds like it is going to be an hour long and may involve up to 25 people per episode. It sounds like a fun and entertaining format to watch, but it is winner take all for contestants.

Best of luck getting on!
Since "Duel" was bought by BermanBraun, I would say it is different from "Hold Onto Your Seat".

Good luck to you as well!
Tim H.

15QuestionsAway

#13 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:27 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:25 people per episode--24 of whom leave with nothing--and they're requiring a multi-day interview process? :shock:
I'm sure this only applies to LA area potential contestants. Without a doubt they'll have the whole casting extravaganza set up for their remote auditions.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:33 pm

15QuestionsAway wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:25 people per episode--24 of whom leave with nothing--and they're requiring a multi-day interview process? :shock:
I'm sure this only applies to LA area potential contestants. Without a doubt they'll have the whole casting extravaganza set up for their remote auditions.
Maybe. Still, if they need that many contestants, perhaps they shouldn't need tp review a hyper-long application form and conduct on camera auditions for each and every one? 25 contestants on each episode have to be TV perfect???

15QuestionsAway

#15 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:20 pm

thguy65 wrote:Since "Duel" was bought by BermanBraun, I would say it is different from "Hold Onto Your Seat".

Good luck to you as well!
Upon further review, I think you're right - "Duel" is different. I can't find the French show it's based on though.

Unhelpfully, the French version of the show is not called "Duel", and the French production company behind the show is called "French TV".

If you don't want Googlers to find your company, you can't do much worse than naming it "French TV".

Timsterino

#16 Post by Timsterino » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:05 pm

Does this show still have the 5 year no other game show rule?

Thanks,
Tim S.
Twitter: @BrowardAdvocate
Instagram: @TimWSternberg
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sternberg

thguy65

#17 Post by thguy65 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:35 pm

Timsterino wrote:Does this show still have the 5 year no other game show rule?

Thanks,

I have given them my rap sheet, and I have not been told to go away yet. There may be a large degree of producer's discretion involved. Since the official application materials on the duelcasting website make no mention of it, you could always plead ignorance about that potential issue.
Tim H.