Colorado Ballot Question for Sprots

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Earl the Squirrel

Colorado Ballot Question for Sprots

#1 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:42 pm

To everyone else: This is not a political post, it is a Colorado specific procedural question. So I don't need all of the PMFFers (especially non-Coloradoans) to chime in with their half baked bullshit.

Sprots,

I received my ballot(s) yesterday in the mail. I guess this is for the primary because the only thing on it is for president. I didn't register to vote until just before the last presidential election so I've not gotten one of these for that office before. But I received two ballots, one Democrat and one Republican. Is this because I'm registered as as Independent? I seem to recall just getting a Democratic one last year. Do I fill out both or just one?

Also, Trump is on the Republican one, but I thought he was barred from the Colorado ballot. Maybe these were printed before that was determined?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Colorado Ballot Question for Sprots

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:56 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:42 pm
To everyone else: This is not a political post, it is a Colorado specific procedural question. So I don't need all of the PMFFers (especially non-Coloradoans) to chime in with their half baked bullshit.

Sprots,

I received my ballot(s) yesterday in the mail. I guess this is for the primary because the only thing on it is for president. I didn't register to vote until just before the last presidential election so I've not gotten one of these for that office before. But I received two ballots, one Democrat and one Republican. Is this because I'm registered as as Independent? I seem to recall just getting a Democratic one last year. Do I fill out both or just one?

Also, Trump is on the Republican one, but I thought he was barred from the Colorado ballot. Maybe these were printed before that was determined?
I can answer the second question. The Colorado Supreme Court stayed its own decision ordering that removal, pending a possible appeal to the Supreme Court. When that appeal was taken, the stay extended until disposition of the Supreme Court case. So the removal order has never taken effect. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:55 pm

I'll add another question.

My daughter says that in the general election, for national office such as president, she can vote for any candidate, but for all other positions she only has the choice of straight ticket by party.

Says she can't vote for the Republican US Representative and the Democrat US Senate candidate (or mix and match any other positions). Is that true? I told her she was confusing the primaries where you can only vote one party, but she insists that the way the general elections are in Colorado.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Earl the Squirrel

#4 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:56 pm
Earl the Squirrel wrote:

Sprots,

I can answer the second question. The Colorado Supreme Court stayed its own decision ordering that removal, pending a possible appeal to the Supreme Court. When that appeal was taken, the stay extended until disposition of the Supreme Court case. So the removal order has never taken effect. --Bob
Thanks, Bob. I don't keep up with the news (especially political), so I basically just see the headlines.

Earl the Squirrel

#5 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:36 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:55 pm

My daughter says that in the general election, for national office such as president, she can vote for any candidate, but for all other positions she only has the choice of straight ticket by party.

Says she can't vote for the Republican US Representative and the Democrat US Senate candidate (or mix and match any other positions). Is that true? I told her she was confusing the primaries where you can only vote one party, but she insists that the way the general elections are in Colorado.
I can answer this one. I've voted for people from multiple parties, including ones where it says something like 'pick two' for senators and the like. Sometimes, particularly on the local and even state, there won't be anybody running from a particular party, so that party just won't be on the ballot at all. I'm pretty sure she's confusing it with the primaries because I had the same question the first time.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:15 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote:

Sprots,

Sometimes I think Colorado voters are schizophrenic, other times I just think we're crazy.

Colorado voted to have a Presidential primary because we were jealous of all the press that other states were getting with Super Tuesday, Junior Tuesday, not to mention Iowa going first in caucuses. We still have a June primary for all the other offices. So we have two primaries and still have the caucuses. Confusing? You bet!

Yes, you got two ballots because you're registered unaffiliated. Vote ONE, not both. If you vote both, they will both be thrown out.

SteelersFan likes getting both ballots so he can vote more effectively. Last time, he voted against rootin tootin Boebert in the primary. This time, he voted for Nikki Haley. He may vote the Democratic ballot next time.

This is one where I agree with the Republicans. They insist that you should be a member of the party whose ballot you're voting. Last time, Don Coram was a much better candidate than rootin tootin Boebert, and I understand although I do not condone Dems switching to unaffiliated so they could vote for him. If we switch so we can vote for their best candidate, it won't be long before Reps are switching to unaffiliated to vote for our worst candidate.

Whoever said that Trump was still on the ballot because of the appeal was correct.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:19 am

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:55 pm

No, that's not the way general elections are in Colorado. You example is a good one -- she can vote for the Republican US Rep and Dem US Senate in the general election. She can vote for only one candidate for each office.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Earl the Squirrel

#8 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:08 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:15 am
Earl the Squirrel wrote:

Sprots,

Sometimes I think Colorado voters are schizophrenic, other times I just think we're crazy.

Colorado voted to have a Presidential primary because we were jealous of all the press that other states were getting with Super Tuesday, Junior Tuesday, not to mention Iowa going first in caucuses. We still have a June primary for all the other offices. So we have two primaries and still have the caucuses. Confusing? You bet!

Yes, you got two ballots because you're registered unaffiliated. Vote ONE, not both. If you vote both, they will both be thrown out.

SteelersFan likes getting both ballots so he can vote more effectively. Last time, he voted against rootin tootin Boebert in the primary. This time, he voted for Nikki Haley. He may vote the Democratic ballot next time.

This is one where I agree with the Republicans. They insist that you should be a member of the party whose ballot you're voting. Last time, Don Coram was a much better candidate than rootin tootin Boebert, and I understand although I do not condone Dems switching to unaffiliated so they could vote for him. If we switch so we can vote for their best candidate, it won't be long before Reps are switching to unaffiliated to vote for our worst candidate.

Whoever said that Trump was still on the ballot because of the appeal was correct.
Thanks, Sprots. That's what I assumed, but you know what they say about when you assume.... I think I'm with SteelersFan on this one (although that's not why I registered as Independent. I've voted for candidates from several different parties, and not just D and R. Neither of the two major parties really suit me, although I'm realistic enough to accept that they're usually the only ones with a legit shot). The only name I've even heard of on the Dem ballot is Biden and, if I would vote for a Rep, it would be Haley.