Maxine Waters says "this liberal will socia...uh..uh...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Jeemie

Maxine Waters says "this liberal will socia...uh..uh...

#1 Post by Jeemie » Fri May 23, 2008 9:35 pm

"...this liberal is for taking over all your oil companies" while grilling the oil company executives.

Maxine the Idiot Threatens Nationalization of Oil Companies

Yeah- that's good...that'll work.

Maybe $10/gallon gas is coming sooner than we think.

Just when I think a politician can't say anything more moronic...one comes along and sets a new bar.

(PS Link fixed)
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob Juch

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Sounds like a right-wing nutcase to me.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#3 Post by silvercamaro » Fri May 23, 2008 10:04 pm

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:10 pm

silvercamaro wrote:That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

What? Didn't you overhear my conversation with your live-in composer about freaky opera characters?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Fri May 23, 2008 11:33 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

What? Didn't you overhear my conversation with your live-in composer about freaky opera characters?
:lol:

Annie takes that sort of thing very seriously, you know.

Jeemie

#6 Post by Jeemie » Sat May 24, 2008 9:40 am

Bob Juch wrote:Sounds like a right-wing nutcase to me.
Sorry- left-wing nutcase.

Right-wing nutcases want to take over other countries' oil!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:43 am

When I first moved to this house, she became my Representative after Julian Dixon (who impressed me) died. I wasn't impressed (but Democrats won the district typically by roughly 10-1 margins). The district boundary changed after the 2000 census -- now I'm in Waxman's district. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Sat May 24, 2008 8:37 pm

I have been thinking about oil nationalization quite a bit recently. I fear what an Obama presidency with massive Democrat majorities may attempt in this area.

My main stream of thought is that the day we nationalize the oil companies is the same day we will see ANWR drilling(which I oppose) and massive offshore drilling activities (Which I support) and eventually even oil drilling in the national parks.

It will be for "The People" you know and it would be reactionary and obstructionist to stand in the way of "The People."

Just last night, I heard an interveiw with an oil and gas consultant that said -even given all the opposition to offshore drilling in California-drilling is allowed off Santa Barbara because the state gets the money. Then they think it is OK.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Sat May 24, 2008 9:12 pm

Spock wrote:I have been thinking about oil nationalization quite a bit recently. I fear what an Obama presidency with massive Democrat majorities may attempt in this area.

My main stream of thought is that the day we nationalize the oil companies is the same day we will see ANWR drilling(which I oppose) and massive offshore drilling activities (Which I support) and eventually even oil drilling in the national parks.
My thought is that most U.S. Senators and Representatives don't even know enough to realize that the largest companies in the oil industry are multinational corporations. Whatever portion they might seize would damage the worldwide economy without gaining control of as much oil and gas as they imagine. Furthermore, if any oil companies were nationalized, the price of all forms of petroleum -- and everything else -- would go up considerably, as inefficiency and political corruption take their very expensive tolls. As the resulting depression and inflation continued, I predict, the House and Senate would vote that their benefits (while in office and through retirement) should include unlimited free gasoline from the then-government-owned oil industry as an accompaniment to their already overly generous retirement and health care plans.

In other words, it would be a disaster for all the rest of us.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Sat May 24, 2008 9:21 pm

Spock wrote:I have been thinking about oil nationalization quite a bit recently. I fear what an Obama presidency with massive Democrat majorities may attempt in this area.

It will be for "The People" you know and it would be reactionary and obstructionist to stand in the way of "The People."

Just last night, I heard an interview with an oil and gas consultant that said -even given all the opposition to offshore drilling in California-drilling is allowed off Santa Barbara because the state gets the money. Then they think it is OK.
That would be far more likely with a Republican congress and president. That's not going to happen though.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

TheCalvinator24

#11 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:26 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

Just last night, I heard an interview with an oil and gas consultant that said -even given all the opposition to offshore drilling in California-drilling is allowed off Santa Barbara because the state gets the money. Then they think it is OK.
That would be far more likely with a Republican congress and president. That's not going to happen though.
A Republican Congress and President is more likely to Nationalize a large and important sector of our economy?

You are nuts.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Sat May 24, 2008 9:43 pm

silvercamaro wrote:

My thought is that most U.S. Senators and Representatives don't even know enough to realize that the largest companies in the oil industry are multinational corporations. Whatever portion they might seize would damage the worldwide economy without gaining control of as much oil and gas as they imagine. Furthermore, if any oil companies were nationalized, the price of all forms of petroleum -- and everything else -- would go up considerably, as inefficiency and political corruption take their very expensive tolls. As the resulting depression and inflation continued, I predict, the House and Senate would vote that their benefits (while in office and through retirement) should include unlimited free gasoline from the then-government-owned oil industry as an accompaniment to their already overly generous retirement and health care plans.

In other words, it would be a disaster for all the rest of us.
Obviously I agree 100%

Spock's political Axiom-
"Those politicians that holler the loudest about gas prices are the same politicians that are most adamantly opposed to expanding domestic exploration and production."

I also suspect that those demagoging the issue-either ignore or don't care or don't understand-the essentially small field that the Exxons and so forth have to play on-given the large areas controlled by national oil companies (Aramco,PEMEX etc).

I am sure Petro-China follows the strictest environmental and humanitarian standards on whatever they are doing in the Sudan.(SARCASM)

Jeemie

#13 Post by Jeemie » Sat May 24, 2008 10:07 pm

Spock wrote:I am sure Petro-China follows the strictest environmental and humanitarian standards on whatever they are doing in the Sudan.(SARCASM)
Or off the coast of Florida, where GOP AND Dems gathered together to prevent companies from drilling.

Well, China and Cuba are there now- but I'm sure they're taking every precaution to keep the Gulf clean.

Spock

#14 Post by Spock » Sun May 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Spock wrote:I am sure Petro-China follows the strictest environmental and humanitarian standards on whatever they are doing in the Sudan.(SARCASM)
Or off the coast of Florida, where GOP AND Dems gathered together to prevent companies from drilling.

Well, China and Cuba are there now- but I'm sure they're taking every precaution to keep the Gulf clean.
Plus with horizontal and angled drilling techniques.-I bet the Chinese are/will be very scrupulous to stay on their side of the line and are/will be very careful not to dip any straws into US oil.

Spock

#15 Post by Spock » Sun May 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

WTF-what color is the sky in your world?

Sir_Galahad

#16 Post by Sir_Galahad » Sun May 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

I don't quite understand your statement. If you're saying that drilling in ANWR is more likely with a Republican congress and president then I would agree.

However, if your stating that Big Oil nationalization is more likely under the Republicans, then I think you've been nipping the cider a bit too much.

The Democrats have blocked ANWR drilling since the late 1980's as Clinton said he would veto any such bill that passed. We'll never know if we would be in a much better position had we been getting oil from ANWR when that bill first came up. But, reports claim there were over 10 billion barrels of oil there and that certainly, IMO, would have been a good start. Those were mighty expensive caribou they were protecting.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

mrkelley23

#17 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:10 pm

You guys crack me up.

No YOUR guys would do the evil thing, no YOUR guys would, WE would never do that.

Spock understands this issue far better than I, but this country already has de facto nationalization of oil companies. Hugo Chavez has far less sway over the oil industry in his country than the most powerful politicians do over the oil industry IN THIS COUNTRY.

Notice I'm not trying to claim the US manipulates the multinational, or global oil industry. But as far as this country's internal production, distribution, and marketing, the deed's already done.

Although it might be more correct to say that the people who run the oil industry in this country are the same people as the people who run the government.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#18 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:14 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

A Republican Congress and President is more likely to Nationalize a large and important sector of our economy?

You are nuts.
While I hesitate to analyze such a telling and insightful statement as "You are nuts," has it occurred to you that it is the Republican Congress and Presidents who have done the most recent nationalization of a large industry in this country, namely education?

Yes, I realize that Jimmy Carter started the Federal DOE, but Reagan expanded it, after campaigning on a platform of abolishing it, and GWB has practically institutionalized it with NCLB.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Spock

#19 Post by Spock » Sun May 25, 2008 8:35 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:You guys crack me up.

, but this country already has de facto nationalization of oil companies.

Dagnabbit-I had not thought of the issue from that angle-I was formulating my thought stream based on a straight up nationalization (ala Mexico 1938-IIRC)=now, I have to get depressed as I realize that yes you are right-evidence-Ethanol mandates and so forth support your position.

Spock

#20 Post by Spock » Sun May 25, 2008 8:49 pm

Admittedly, my fears and thoughts of oil nationalization have been recently stoked because I have been listening to Ed Schultz's regional show lately. This is the one where he is not supposed to do national stuff, but he can not resist it.

He has really been attacking the big oil companies.

mellytu74

#21 Post by mellytu74 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:57 pm

Spock wrote:Admittedly, my fears and thoughts of oil nationalization have been recently stoked because I have been listening to Ed Schultz's regional show lately. This is the one where he is not supposed to do national stuff, but he can not resist it.

He has really been attacking the big oil companies.
I've heard Ed Schultz on some TV shows recently (Hardball and Olbermann and someplace elese - I am thinking CN8, the Comcast station).

The guy impresses me.

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

I don't quite understand your statement. If you're saying that drilling in ANWR is more likely with a Republican congress and president then I would agree.

However, if your stating that Big Oil nationalization is more likely under the Republicans, then I think you've been nipping the cider a bit too much.

The Democrats have blocked ANWR drilling since the late 1980's as Clinton said he would veto any such bill that passed. We'll never know if we would be in a much better position had we been getting oil from ANWR when that bill first came up. But, reports claim there were over 10 billion barrels of oil there and that certainly, IMO, would have been a good start. Those were mighty expensive caribou they were protecting.
I'm saying both. I've heard several Republicans saying that oil is a vital resource and should therefore be nationalized. I've not heard any Democrats saying that; they say they're glad the price of gas is up so people now are finding alternatives to using it.

Note I'm not saying that either position is official party policy.

mellytu74

#23 Post by mellytu74 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:13 pm

Bob78164 wrote:When I first moved to this house, she became my Representative after Julian Dixon (who impressed me) died. I wasn't impressed (but Democrats won the district typically by roughly 10-1 margins). The district boundary changed after the 2000 census -- now I'm in Waxman's district. --Bob
When I was a congressional aide, I remember that she tried pushing an amendment that I was afraid was going to undermine one of our committee's bills that had good bi-partisan support.

I didn't like it because I thought she was putting her personal priorities above the greater good -- especially when there was a bill on the docket later that week where her amendment would have fit much better.

BTW, IIRC, she succeeded Gus Hawkins in Congress. Gus Hawkins was the Chairman of the Education and Labor committee.

Chairman Hawkins retired in 1991 and my boss, Bill Ford of Michigan, because chairman. Chairman Hawkins passed away a couple hears ago. He was 100, IIRC.

I don't think Julian Dixon died until the late 1990s.

Jeemie

#24 Post by Jeemie » Mon May 26, 2008 10:27 am

mrkelley23 wrote:You guys crack me up.

No YOUR guys would do the evil thing, no YOUR guys would, WE would never do that.

Spock understands this issue far better than I, but this country already has de facto nationalization of oil companies. Hugo Chavez has far less sway over the oil industry in his country than the most powerful politicians do over the oil industry IN THIS COUNTRY.

Notice I'm not trying to claim the US manipulates the multinational, or global oil industry. But as far as this country's internal production, distribution, and marketing, the deed's already done.

Although it might be more correct to say that the people who run the oil industry in this country are the same people as the people who run the government.
I never thought of it this way, either.

Now, like Spock, I am depressed- because I guess Waters was just voicing what's already true to a large extent.