Jeopardy! Rerun contestants

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Jeopardy! Rerun contestants

#1 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:56 am

Seems forever since Jeopardy! brough new contestants to the show.

It's been former players competing for a spot in a tournanment, the tournament after tournament, then new games with repeat players playing for another spot in a tournament, then yet another.

It's tiring. While not quite the Celebrity overload that killed WWTBAM, I think I'm done with Jeopardy. I've lost interest in watching the same old folks come back on the compete again and again. One player earlier this week was on her 4th run. I'm sure others are there as well.

It's too bad. I don't think Alec would have put up with it.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

silverscreenselect

Re: Jeopardy! Rerun contestants

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:07 am

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:56 am
I'm wondering if this might have something to do with a lack of new contestants for the show. I remember a few years back when we and the Jeopardy boards obsessed over the upcoming contestant's tests and followed who got invited to what auditions afterward. Now, there's an online "anytime" test (which I've never taken), so the urgency to take part in the process is diminishing. Fewer people taking the test means fewer potential contestants.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:12 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:07 am
BackInTex wrote:
I'm wondering if this might have something to do with a lack of new contestants for the show. I remember a few years back when we and the Jeopardy boards obsessed over the upcoming contestant's tests and followed who got invited to what auditions afterward. Now, there's an online "anytime" test (which I've never taken), so the urgency to take part in the process is diminishing. Fewer people taking the test means fewer potential contestants.
I think it had a lot more to do with the strikes. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:51 am

BackInTex wrote:

It's been former players competing for a spot in a tournanment, the tournament after tournament, then new games with repeat players playing for another spot in a tournament, then yet another.

It's tiring. While not quite the Celebrity overload that killed WWTBAM, I think I'm done with Jeopardy. I've lost interest in watching the same old folks come back on the compete again and again. One player earlier this week was on her 4th run. I'm sure others are there as well.

It's too bad. I don't think Alec would have put up with it.
I like seeing my favorites return.

There will be episodes with ordinary players starting next week after the JIT ends.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:49 am

It was the writers' strike (they re-used contestants and re-used material); we should start seeing new people anytime now.

But yeah, I'm ready for fresh faces as well.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:49 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:12 am
BackInTex wrote:
Why would that matter? If they are reusing questions, why would it matter whether it's new or "used" contestants?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:17 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:49 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:12 am
Why would that matter? If they are reusing questions, why would it matter whether it's new or "used" contestants?
They didn't want to provide new contestants with re-used material, and they didn't want to force new contestants to choose between risking their chance to appear on the show and crossing a picket line. That's why the ToC was delayed as long as it was -- a lot of qualifiers made it known that they would not cross a picket line. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson