Wedding Blog: BD**2 - 78

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Wedding Blog: BD**2 - 78

#1 Post by gsabc » Sat May 24, 2008 5:15 pm

One of the bridesmaids is visiting today, the classmate and fellow early education teacher. BD and she went to pick up the bridesmaids dresses, at least those for the local 'maids. The one for FSIL's sister was shipped out to her a day or two after arrival.

The color works, and all the women here approve of how they look in general. This was a concern, since you never quite know how true the color or style will be in the actual dresses. The visiting bridesmaid needs minimal alteration - a couple of inches up with the hem and a little pulling in at the bodice. BD tried on the one for the bridesmaid who was the dance classmate, because they are of a size. Might be an issue there. It's big, especially at the bust. BD is more endowed than this bridesmaid, and if she hadn't held up the top, it wouldn't have stayed. Dad was kicked out of the house to go work on the yard while the problem was reviewed. :oops: GW is not sure how much she can do on that area.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: Wedding Blog: BD**2 - 78

#2 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:11 am

gsabc wrote:One of the bridesmaids is visiting today, the classmate and fellow early education teacher. BD and she went to pick up the bridesmaids dresses, at least those for the local 'maids. The one for FSIL's sister was shipped out to her a day or two after arrival.

The color works, and all the women here approve of how they look in general. This was a concern, since you never quite know how true the color or style will be in the actual dresses. The visiting bridesmaid needs minimal alteration - a couple of inches up with the hem and a little pulling in at the bodice. BD tried on the one for the bridesmaid who was the dance classmate, because they are of a size. Might be an issue there. It's big, especially at the bust. BD is more endowed than this bridesmaid, and if she hadn't held up the top, it wouldn't have stayed. Dad was kicked out of the house to go work on the yard while the problem was reviewed. :oops: GW is not sure how much she can do on that area.
My friend Kay will make flower girl dresses but not bridesmaids. She says that if a kid is a 6, she's a 6, but an adult 6 could be a 6 in the shoulders, bust, waist, or hips, or 5-10 instead of the 5-4 the pattern was designed for, and she's not gonna drive herself crazy making it right.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:16 am

My (theoretical) Science PAF found an excellent solution. She made three long skirt/top dresses in the color of each bridesmaid's choosing.

My beautiful blonde vet tech friend chose electric blue, the bride's beautiful Latina friend chose a gorgeous dark red, and the bride's sis chose dark green -- she was probably the only woman at the wedding who could wear that color.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:58 pm

I am totally prejudice about bridal stores and how they deal with brides maids dresses. My theory (I have evidence that backs this up), is that they order a size too big, so that they can make money on the alterations.

They do measurements ( the normal three), then add an inch to each measurement. They find the size that has matches the largest measurement, order that size and alter the crap out of the dress when it comes in. They charge per alteration, so sometimes they make more on the alterations than on the dress.

It's a big rip-off.

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Tue May 27, 2008 1:06 pm

peacock2121 wrote:I am totally prejudice about bridal stores and how they deal with brides maids dresses. My theory (I have evidence that backs this up), is that they order a size too big, so that they can make money on the alterations.

They do measurements ( the normal three), then add an inch to each measurement. They find the size that has matches the largest measurement, order that size and alter the crap out of the dress when it comes in. They charge per alteration, so sometimes they make more on the alterations than on the dress.

It's a big rip-off.
Won't get 'em anything from us. GW is doing most of the alterations for the local bridesmaids. FSIL's mom is doing them for his sister's dress. The high school classmate bridesmaid has put on pounds since she stopped dancing, and has no waist to speak of (as well as no bust). The dress size is her own fault.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.