Transcript 05/23/2008 - Terry McNelis (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/23/2008 - Terry McNelis (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat May 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Terry McNelis
Columbus, OH

Terry is a former professional soccer player who now makes his living as a physical therapist. He was a goalie and found himself in some tight places. His last game as a goalie was a shutout and propelled his team into the playoffs.

$500 - What singer released the 2006 song, "I Want My Mullet Back," a reference to the notorious hairstyle he sported in the '90s?

A - Phil Collins
B - Ricky Martin
C - Billy Ray Cyrus
D - Sting

$1K - A type of high-tech security measure, retinal scanning identifies people basedon unique patterns in their what?

A - eyes
B - fingertips
C - hair strands
D - saliva

$2K - Which of these prominent Asian-Americans is a member of the Los Angeles Figure Skating Club?

A - Amy Tan
B - Michelle Kwan
C - Yo-Yo Ma
D - Maya Lin

$4K - Which of these titles derives from an Arabic word meaning "commander"?

A - emir
B - czar
C - shogun
D - lama

Terry decides to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 85%
B - 11%
C - 1%
D - 3%

Terry has to go with the audience's answer. Good thing, because they were right.

$8K - In the 2006 movie "The Departed," a police unit attempts to dismantle an organized crime ring in what U.S. city?

A - New York
B - Las Vegas
C - Chicago
D - Boston

Terry just got back from Boston last weekend so he makes that his final answer.

$16K - By definition, which of the following is true of an idiopathic disease?

A - it affects animals
B - it is fatal
C - its cause is unknown
D - it has no known cure

Terry says his med-sci teacher in college would kill him if he didn't know the answer to this one.

$25K - Short for "Hennes & Mauritz," the trendy clothing store H&M was founded in what European country?

A - Sweden
B - Denmark
C - Belgiuim
D - France

He's leaning in a particular direction because he knows of a famous tennis player witn a similar last name - Hennes. He isn't sure so he decides to phone a friend, his wife Shandra. She thinks something about the UK but time runs out before she can give him an answer. "No more H&M for you," Terry quips. He might as well use the 50/50, which leaves A and D. He's glad he didn't guess. He can use the $16K. It sounds more Norwegian than French. He finally decides to walk away.

Commercial break

ANSWERS:
$500 - C (Billy Ray Cyrus)
$1K - A (eyes)
$2K - B (Michelle Kwan)
$4K - A (emir)
$8K - D (Boston)
$16K - C (its cause is unknown)
$25K - A (Sweden)

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 05/23/2008 - Terry McNelis (carryover contest

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $4K - Which of these titles derives from an Arabic word meaning "commander"?

A - emir
B - czar
C - shogun
D - lama

ATA results:
A - 85%
B - 11%
C - 1%
D - 3%
<sigh>

None of those words sounded Arabic to you, Terry? None of the others sounded Russian or Japanese or Tibetan?

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - Short for "Hennes & Mauritz," the trendy clothing store H&M was founded in what European country?

A - Sweden
B - Denmark
C - Belgiuim
D - France

He's leaning in a particular direction because he knows of a famous tennis player witn a similar last name - Hennes. He isn't sure so he decides to phone a friend, his wife Shandra. She thinks something about the UK but time runs out before she can give him an answer. "No more H&M for you," Terry quips. He might as well use the 50/50, which leaves A and D. He's glad he didn't guess. He can use the $16K. It sounds more Norwegian than French. He finally decides to walk away.
<sigh>

Best 50/50 gamble you'll ever have, Terry.

So, was this more of Mars/Venus question or a trendy New Yorker question? Would the New York audience give a good result on the ATA, do you think?

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#3 Post by sunflower » Mon May 26, 2008 12:34 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:<sigh>

Best 50/50 gamble you'll ever have, Terry.

So, was this more of Mars/Venus question or a trendy New Yorker question? Would the New York audience give a good result on the ATA, do you think?
I don't know...I knew it because I read a business related article on them a few years ago and being Swedish stuck in my mind. Maybe it's because I used to drive a Saab, but I tend to remember when things are Swedish. Saab, Ikea and H&M...maybe I'm just weird.

Plus I am a dork in that I check where all my clothes are from before I buy them (nice to know if I think it will fall apart before I buy it) and I've seen Stockholm on their tags.

But even if I didn't know it...I wouldn't associate it with France. If they had UK as a choice that would be tough since there are tons of stores over there. I think he just got scared and if he were at home he would've answered correctly.

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 26, 2008 4:30 pm

sunflower wrote:Plus I am a dork in that I check where all my clothes are from before I buy them (nice to know if I think it will fall apart before I buy it) and I've seen Stockholm on their tags.
Well, sure, if you shop there, I can understand that you'd be familiar with them. But, since I can't say I ever heard of H&M before this episode, I was wondering if that was one of those things all women would be aware of or just those who like certain styles.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Mon May 26, 2008 4:49 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Well, sure, if you shop there, I can understand that you'd be familiar with them. But, since I can't say I ever heard of H&M before this episode, I was wondering if that was one of those things all women would be aware of or just those who like certain styles.
Perhaps it's more women who live in certain cities or certain regions of the country. I've never heard of them.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Mon May 26, 2008 4:57 pm

I've been to H & M many times while in NYC. My kids love it. They play loud rock music and cater to the "younger" generation. :D Prices are great but you have to stand in line to get a dressing room for quite a while. I would hold a place in line for the dressing room while they picked out stuff to try on. It took that long to get a dressing room.

SC, I think you and I may have gone in while we were in NYC. There is a nice store right around Rockefeller Plaza.

However, I never knew what H & M stood for or what country it might represent. I have spent plenty of money there, for what it's worth. :roll:
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 26, 2008 5:01 pm

silvercamaro wrote: Perhaps it's more women who live in certain cities or certain regions of the country. I've never heard of them.
OK. Trendy New Yorkers, then.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#8 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon May 26, 2008 5:06 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Perhaps it's more women who live in certain cities or certain regions of the country. I've never heard of them.
I knew it but then I live in a certain city and I read Vogue, er, I leaf through it when I'm at my hair stylist.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#9 Post by sunflower » Mon May 26, 2008 6:02 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
silvercamaro wrote: Perhaps it's more women who live in certain cities or certain regions of the country. I've never heard of them.
OK. Trendy New Yorkers, then.
I don't consider myself a "Trendy New Yorker" :?

I think it's more of a regional thing. And a cheapness thing. I have literally gotten entire outfits for $20 there. But we have one in our quiet suburban mall, otherwise I wouldn't go there that often myself.

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Tue May 27, 2008 6:10 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Terry McNelis
Columbus, OH

Terry is a former professional soccer player who now makes his living as a physical therapist. He was a goalie and found himself in some tight places. His last game as a goalie was a shutout and propelled his team into the playoffs.
If his team made it to the playoffs, why was his last game the one before the playoffs?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - Which of these titles derives from an Arabic word meaning "commander"?

A - emir
B - czar
C - shogun
D - lama

ATA results:
A - 85%
B - 11%
C - 1%
D - 3%

Terry has to go with the audience's answer. Good thing, because they were right.
I believe the word "admiral" also comes from the same Arabic word.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - In the 2006 movie "The Departed," a police unit attempts to dismantle an organized crime ring in what U.S. city?

A - New York
B - Las Vegas
C - Chicago
D - Boston

Terry just got back from Boston last weekend so he makes that his final answer.
No idea, so time to ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - Short for "Hennes & Mauritz," the trendy clothing store H&M was founded in what European country?

A - Sweden
B - Denmark
C - Belgiuim
D - France

No idea again so 50/50 won''t help. Time to PAF. I think Terry might have been thinking either of Martina Hengist or Justine Hardin-Hennin (or however it's spelled). Neither of those would have led him to the right answer. Google provides the answer quickly.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."