Transcript 05/23/2008 - Leslie Noel

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/23/2008 - Leslie Noel

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat May 24, 2008 6:32 pm

Leslie Noel
Bolingbrook, IL
Substitute teacher

She's here because of her 12 year old daughter Sarah. They watched the show together and saw a commercial for a local audition. Sarah said Leslie thought there would be thousands of people there, it would take all day and they would only pick a few people. But she went anyway. Meredith says that Sarah had faith in Leslie.

$100 - Each year, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals honors non-meat-eating celebrities with the title "World's Sexiest" what?

A - Athlete
B - Philanthropist
C - Vegetarian
D - Anemic

$200 - As its name suggests, Big League Chew is a type of what?

A - chocolate bar
B - bubble gum
C - lollipop
D - lemon drop

Meredith notes that it's popular in her house.

$300 - Which of these reality TV series features two professional choreographers as judges?

A - Top Chef
B - American Idol
C - Dancing with the Stars
D - Project Runway

$500 - What weather-related term appears in the title of a popular nursery rhyme featuring the line "The old man is snoring"?

A - raining
B - sunny
C - windy
D - snowing

$1K - The Latin phrase "mea culpa" is closest in meaning to which of these modern slang phrases?

A - Get bent!
B - Whassup!
C - You go, girl!
D - My bad!

$2K - What film director is instantly identified by a silhouette he once crafted as a Christmas gift for friends?

A - D.W. Griffith
B - Alfred Hitchcock
C - Howard Hawkes
D - Frank Capra

$4K - A 2007 National Geographic cover featured the image of a mosquito in connection with a story about what illness?

A - cholera
B - measles
C - malaria
D - tuberculosis

Leslie said that would have to be "C - malaria".

$8K - The Steve Miller Band song "Fly Like an Eagle" was featured in a popular 1990s ad campaign for what?

A - Nike
B - Atlanta Olympics
C - U.S. Air Force
D - U.S. Postal Service

Lesie wants to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 22%
B - 3%
C - 27%
D - 48%

Leslie thinks that's a clear winner so she goes with the audience's answer. Meredith says that's not a very high number...but it's the right answer.

Commercial break

$16K - Which of these notable twentieth-century painters was a woman?

A - Francis Bacon
B - Rene Magritte
C - Joan Miro
D - Lee Krasner

Leslie really thinks it's D. Magritte was the surrealist with the bowler hats and was a man. It would be a sin to go home with lifelines unused, though, so she decides to phone a friend to make sure. She asks to call her sister Jill. Jill is 80% sure that it's Krasner - then she changes to say she's 100% sure and adds that Krasner was married to Jackson Pollock.

$25K - Which of these games derives its name from the Hindi word for "twenty-five"?

A - Parcheesi
B - Canasta
C - Baccarat
D - Yahtzee

Leslie doesn't even know how three of these are played. She can't figure out how 25 is involved with Yahtzee. She asks for the 50/50, which leaves A and C. She says that "parcheesi" sounds more like a Hindi word and thought that baccarat came from France. She ends up walking away because she can't decide between the two answers.

Commercial break

ANSWERS:
$100 - A (Vegetarian)
$200 - B (bubble gum)
$300 - C (Dancing with the Stars)
$500 - A (raining)
$1K - D (My bad!)
$2K - B (Alfred Hitchcock)
$4K - C (malaria)
$8K - D (U.S. Postal Service)
$16K - D (Lee Krasner)
$25K - A (Parcheesi)

tanstaafl2

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Do they spray something in the studio that entirely eliminates the cast members cojones? It would seem so.

Oh well, more of the same.

I suppose 16K is a big deal for some. No doubt it is. I hope that I could overcome what ever it is that seems to eliminate the gambler in cast members as my philosophy remains that the money would be completely secondary at least until making it to 25K or being eliminated.

As usual the trouble started at 8K. Rarely see commercials anymore so not really familiar with this. Would try for the ATA but would have hoped for better results. She goes for it there but then bails at 25K even though it seemed pretty clear she knew the answer. Hard to figure. Hopefully I would go with the audience as well and not trash another lifeline.

16K was no better. Could eliminate the first two but would likely then have to gamble on the 50/50 helping, if I still had it. At least her PAF seemed to do a good job.

No problem though at 25K.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Sat May 24, 2008 7:42 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:Do they spray something in the studio that entirely eliminates the cast members cojones? It would seem so.

I suppose 16K is a big deal for some. No doubt it is. I hope that I could overcome what ever it is that seems to eliminate the gambler in cast members as my philosophy remains that the money would be completely secondary at least until making it to 25K or being eliminated.
For you and me, perhaps, $16K is not that big a deal. It's probably more than a half year's salary for a substitute teacher. While I always root for teachers, I don't expect them to reach the big bucks unless they get a Cliff Claven stack. The level of uncertainty toward an answer at which they'll walk is much lower than for many other professions.

The general economic situation may also be a factor for others. If you're worried about your job, or worried about the price of gasoline, or worried about the increasing cost of your groceries, you'll take the money rather than take the risk.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:42 am

gsabc wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:Do they spray something in the studio that entirely eliminates the cast members cojones? It would seem so.

For you and me, perhaps, $16K is not that big a deal. It's probably more than a half year's salary for a substitute teacher. While I always root for teachers, I don't expect them to reach the big bucks unless they get a Cliff Claven stack. The level of uncertainty toward an answer at which they'll walk is much lower than for many other professions.

The general economic situation may also be a factor for others. If you're worried about your job, or worried about the price of gasoline, or worried about the increasing cost of your groceries, you'll take the money rather than take the risk.
No doubt you are correct. But it was not only a 50/50 shot at 25K and a free guess at 50K. it seemed clear she was way more than 50% sure of the answer. Sounds like it would be well worth the risk to me especially given it was house money to start with.

May be a great thing for her but still isn't very compelling to watch, at least for me.

Which is why I don't anymore! Well, one of the reasons.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

Re: Transcript 05/23/2008 - Leslie Noel

#5 Post by earendel » Tue May 27, 2008 6:32 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Leslie Noel
Bolingbrook, IL
Substitute teacher

She's here because of her 12 year old daughter Sarah. They watched the show together and saw a commercial for a local audition. Sarah said Leslie thought there would be thousands of people there, it would take all day and they would only pick a few people. But she went anyway. Meredith says that Sarah had faith in Leslie.
Oh, joy, another reluctant contestant hook. :sigh:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:A - Nike
B - Atlanta Olympics
C - U.S. Air Force
D - U.S. Postal Service

Lesie wants to ask the audience.

ATA results:
A - 22%
B - 3%
C - 27%
D - 48%

Leslie thinks that's a clear winner so she goes with the audience's answer. Meredith says that's not a very high number...but it's the right answer.
Funny...the Monday rerun show had a question about the U.S. Postal Service.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Which of these notable twentieth-century painters was a woman?

A - Francis Bacon
B - Rene Magritte
C - Joan Miro
D - Lee Krasner

Leslie really thinks it's D. Magritte was the surrealist with the bowler hats and was a man. It would be a sin to go home with lifelines unused, though, so she decides to phone a friend to make sure. She asks to call her sister Jill. Jill is 80% sure that it's Krasner - then she changes to say she's 100% sure and adds that Krasner was married to Jackson Pollock.
Hmmm...I guess Jill's Internet connection was running a little slow.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - Which of these games derives its name from the Hindi word for "twenty-five"?

A - Parcheesi
B - Canasta
C - Baccarat
D - Yahtzee

Leslie doesn't even know how three of these are played. She can't figure out how 25 is involved with Yahtzee. She asks for the 50/50, which leaves A and C. She says that "parcheesi" sounds more like a Hindi word and thought that baccarat came from France. She ends up walking away because she can't decide between the two answers.
She reasoned out the answer correctly but then didn't have the nerve to go for it? A pity.

Nihil obstat® for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Tue May 27, 2008 6:33 am

gsabc wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks, gsabc, for that. I get frustrated with people who walk away because it goes against the "spirit of the game". But for real people dealing with real economic issues, the risk may not be worth the reward.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

geoffil

#7 Post by geoffil » Tue May 27, 2008 6:55 am

Usually our local paper, The Naperville Sun, publishes a story before the taping of any contestant's show airing and then anther story after the show airs. She only got a picture in the paper and no story.

Just FYI, she is from Drew Petterson's hometown, Bollingbrook. Reality shows seem to select a lot of people from around these parts.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 30, 2008 11:03 am

Here's a nice, long story about Leslie's appearance, complete with story of how her daughter begged her to go to her audition and all the background details about the audition and taping experience.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/boli ... S1.article