Bad Question on Sploofus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheCalvinator24

Bad Question on Sploofus

#1 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:59 am

Or maybe I just don't know some esoteric water geography. The question was "Which of these states is not bordered by an ocean:"

I stopped scanning when I saw Louisiana and entered it as my answer.

Only after I hit submit did I see that land-locked West Virginia was a later choice.

I believe that Louisiana is also a correct answer. It is not bordered by an ocean. It is bordered by the Gulf of Mexico. Unless the Gulf is technically part of the Atlantic, which I admit may be possible, but if it is, I have never been taught that.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

TheCalvinator24

#2 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:00 am

And a quick hit of Wikipedia says that it is, indeed, part of the Atlantic. As my dad says, "You learn something new everyday."
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 26, 2008 7:35 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:And a quick hit of Wikipedia says that it is, indeed, part of the Atlantic. As my dad says, "You learn something new everyday."
I seem to remember a discussion about this several years ago when a BAM question was worded such that you had to inclued a sea as part of an ocean, or maybe it was the Gulf of California. Anyway, I think we all concluded that pretty much any water beyond the mouth of a river was 'part of an ocean', to include bays.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon May 26, 2008 8:05 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:And a quick hit of Wikipedia says that it is, indeed, part of the Atlantic. As my dad says, "You learn something new everyday."
I feel your pain......I continue to goofus on sploofus.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 26, 2008 8:18 am

I'm still holding down lucky 13th place.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon May 26, 2008 8:52 am

I am in 10th place.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#7 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon May 26, 2008 8:55 am

I'm looking forward to a new month
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:14 am

Okay, okay, I'll go catch up on missed questions....
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:17 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Okay, okay, I'll go catch up on missed questions....
Back at #1, temporarily....

Don't think Steve or his Dad have gone yet today, or actually for several days.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon May 26, 2008 10:33 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Okay, okay, I'll go catch up on missed questions....
Back at #1, temporarily....

Don't think Steve or his Dad have gone yet today, or actually for several days.
Congratulations!

kroxquo

#11 Post by kroxquo » Mon May 26, 2008 11:53 am

At the risk of displaying my ignorance - What is sploofus?
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#12 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon May 26, 2008 12:10 pm

http://www.sploofus.com/

It's a trivia site. You can take quizzes and do word puzzles. There is a Trivia Question of the Day and that's what we are talking about.

MrKelley is ranked #1 for the Trivia Question of the day because he is fast and accurate.

Thousandaire

Re: Bad Question on Sploofus

#13 Post by Thousandaire » Mon May 26, 2008 1:20 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:Or maybe I just don't know some esoteric water geography. The question was "Which of these states is not bordered by an ocean:"

I stopped scanning when I saw Louisiana and entered it as my answer.

Only after I hit submit did I see that land-locked West Virginia was a later choice.

I believe that Louisiana is also a correct answer. It is not bordered by an ocean. It is bordered by the Gulf of Mexico. Unless the Gulf is technically part of the Atlantic, which I admit may be possible, but if it is, I have never been taught that.
We had a long discussion about this on the Jeopardy board. I agree Louisiana does not border an ocean. But if WV is one of the options provided, it's clear that's the intended answer.

It's an important distinction for a trivia question like, "How many states border an ocean," or, "How many states border the Atlantic?" You wouldn't say Texas is on the Atlantic seaboard.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#14 Post by kayrharris » Mon May 26, 2008 3:22 pm

I got a physical science question correct today that has only been answered correctly 19.4% of the time. Lucky guess on my part. :D
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

peacock2121

#15 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:09 pm

kayrharris wrote:I got a physical science question correct today that has only been answered correctly 19.4% of the time. Lucky guess on my part. :D
I am making a few good guesses lately as well.

I have to go and catch up.

I wonder if I can stay in three digits, where the first one is 1.

fantine33

#16 Post by fantine33 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:59 pm

kayrharris wrote:I got a physical science question correct today that has only been answered correctly 19.4% of the time. Lucky guess on my part. :D
A few days ago, my joy in getting a question in Music that had only been answered correctly 9% of the time was totally squashed by getting two geography questions IN A ROW AGAIN the previous two days and missing both of them.

The first one I should have gotten, I tried to change my selection after submit, but it didn't work. The second one I couldn't even find the answer after searching for it (but I'm not very good at Googling and whatnot, so I'm sure the answer is out there).

Those were the first two questions I ever missed. Now I'm all bummed, but I see Sploofus' email has started working (kind of) again, so maybe I'll go back and answer my other questions before the end of the month.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#17 Post by kayrharris » Tue May 27, 2008 10:25 pm

I've had two physical science questions in a row....certainly not one of my favorite subjects. I got it right again today, but it wasn't quite as much a guess as the last one. :)
Benjamin Franklin

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#18 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:19 pm

I'm up to 1300-something.

I'll keep answering as long as they keep sending the notices.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

TheConfessor

#19 Post by TheConfessor » Wed May 28, 2008 1:58 am

kayrharris wrote:I've had two physical science questions in a row....certainly not one of my favorite subjects. I got it right again today, but it wasn't quite as much a guess as the last one. :)
My impression is that when you miss a question, they come back the next day with another question in the same category. I might be wrong, but that has often happened to me.

peacock2121

#20 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:23 am

My ranking now starts with a 2.

I am not feeling so great about that. I am wondering wtf? Only 51.2% of the people who got a question about boiling of water on the centigrade scale knew the correct answer?

wtf?!

mrkelley23

#21 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:28 am

peacock2121 wrote:My ranking now starts with a 2.

I am not feeling so great about that. I am wondering wtf? Only 51.2% of the people who got a question about boiling of water on the centigrade scale knew the correct answer?

wtf?!
Some people may have been going for speed and clicked on the wrong one, especially if they were trickily (or inaccurately) phrased -- see Cal's complaint earlier in this thread.

earendel

#22 Post by earendel » Wed May 28, 2008 7:36 am

mrkelley23 wrote:

wtf?!
Some people may have been going for speed and clicked on the wrong one, especially if they were trickily (or inaccurately) phrased -- see Cal's complaint earlier in this thread.
My biggest complaint is that even after I click the button to submit my answer the timer on the right side keeps winding down, so I'm not getting as much credit as I should be.

And while we're talking about Sploofus, any idea why there was a drought of questions for about two weeks?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

mrkelley23

#23 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:18 am

earendel wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

wtf?!
My biggest complaint is that even after I click the button to submit my answer the timer on the right side keeps winding down, so I'm not getting as much credit as I should be.

And while we're talking about Sploofus, any idea why there was a drought of questions for about two weeks?
The timer runs, but if you look at your elapsed time after the response posts, you'll see that your time is correct as clicked. I've never noticed any lag between when I clicked the mouse and when the response was ruled correct, even though it sometimes takes 10-15 seconds for the screen to change.

And there was not a two-week drought of questions, just a drought of emails. I don't know if something was wrong with their automated email program or what, but you can always get to the QoDs by going to the main site, logging in, and looking for "Show unanswered questions" on the menu to the left.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#24 Post by kayrharris » Wed May 28, 2008 4:24 pm

I officially protest! I just got my 3rd consecutive Physical Science question.
I answered them all correctly, although 2 were WTF guesses. :oops:
Benjamin Franklin

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#25 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 28, 2008 4:32 pm

kayrharris wrote:I officially protest! I just got my 3rd consecutive Physical Science question.
I answered them all correctly, although 2 were WTF guesses. :oops:
During the month of May, I have received at least 8 (and I think 9)questions on Music and Musicians, 7 of which involved rock/pop musicians, songs and albums of the past decade, most of which I've never heard. Given the number of categories, this seems beyond mathematical probability.