Interesting hand

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Interesting hand

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 26, 2008 10:25 pm

By the way, there was an interesting play problem at the Sectional last night, although we defended the hand. What's the best line? The contract (at matchpoints with everyone vulnerable) is six diamonds and the opponents were silent (you opened two clubs in second seat):

<U>Dummy</U>
S: Q832
H: 873
D: K83
C: KQ2

<U>Declarer</U>
S: A
H: AK4
D: AQ9742
C: AJ4

The opening lead was the seven of clubs. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kusch

Re: Interesting hand

#2 Post by kusch » Tue May 27, 2008 6:57 am

Bob78164 wrote:By the way, there was an interesting play problem at the Sectional last night, although we defended the hand. What's the best line? The contract (at matchpoints with everyone vulnerable) is six diamonds and the opponents were silent (you opened two clubs in second seat):

<U>Dummy</U>

<U>Declarer</U>

4D with LHO is non-good, so I will take C in dummy and table KD and not lose a D if RHO has all 4. Run tricks and see what happens with H.

macrae1234

#3 Post by macrae1234 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:34 am

OK there could be 2 reasons why this is an interesting play hand. Just making 6 if diamonds are 4-0 or making 7 so
Win trick 1 with club ace. Any exciting card on my right? Anyway
Play spade ace and lead a diamond to King anyone show out? If LHO take finesse against RHO go to club and finesse again cash tricks and give up a heart
If RHO shows out or trump split, trump a spade if diamonds have split take out trump if not leave LHO with J lead a club trump a spade if K has fallen lead a club play Q of spades pitching a heart

Makes 7 on a trump split and someone having kxx in spades
Makes 6 on 4 trumps on your right
Makes 6 if LHO has 4 diamonds 3 clubs and anyone has Kxx of spades
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:42 am

macrae1234 wrote:OK there could be 2 reasons why this is an interesting play hand. Just making 6 if diamonds are 4-0 or making 7 so
Win trick 1 with club ace. Any exciting card on my right? Anyway
Play spade ace and lead a diamond to King anyone show out? If LHO take finesse against RHO go to club and finesse again cash tricks and give up a heart
If RHO shows out or trump split, trump a spade if diamonds have split take out trump if not leave LHO with J lead a club trump a spade if K has fallen lead a club play Q of spades pitching a heart

Makes 7 on a trump split and someone having kxx in spades
Makes 6 on 4 trumps on your right
Makes 6 if LHO has 4 diamonds 3 clubs and anyone has Kxx of spades
Everyone follows to the first round of clubs (RHO plays the 10) and everyone follows to the first round of diamonds. Everyone follows to three rounds of spades and the king does not appear. Diamonds are 2-2 and everyone follows to the second round of clubs. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Interesting hand

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:23 pm

kusch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:By the way, there was an interesting play problem at the Sectional last night, although we defended the hand. What's the best line? The contract (at matchpoints with everyone vulnerable) is six diamonds and the opponents were silent (you opened two clubs in second seat):

<U>Dummy</U>

<U>Declarer</U>

4D with LHO is non-good, so I will take C in dummy and table KD and not lose a D if RHO has all 4. Run tricks and see what happens with H.
Run tricks in what order, pitching what? --Bob

macrae1234

#6 Post by macrae1234 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:26 pm

Not knowing diamond situation
Win club ace
diamond to king all follow
trump a spade
high diamond everyone follows clearing trump
club to king
trump a spade king does not fall
OK plan C if anyone was dealt the Kxxx of spades and 5 hearts
Q
Q

void
AK4
Q97
J
If you run your 3 diamonds pitching 2 hearts in dummy and play a club to the Q if anyone had the above holding they are squeezed they can't keep the spade K and 3 hearts

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:42 pm

macrae1234 wrote:Not knowing diamond situation
Win club ace
diamond to king all follow
trump a spade
high diamond everyone follows clearing trump
club to king
trump a spade king does not fall
OK plan C if anyone was dealt the Kxxx of spades and 5 hearts
Q
Q

void
AK4
Q9
J
If you run your 3 diamonds pitching 2 hearts in dummy and play a club to the Q if anyone had the above holding they are squeezed they can't keep the spade K and 3 hearts
You trumped two spades in your hand, so you only need to find one pitch from dummy, which will be a heart.

The squeeze works. LHO was dealt the doubleton QJ of hearts. RHO has five hearts to the 109 and the spade K. He's toast on the last club.

Three pairs bid the diamond slam. No one found that line. --Bob

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#8 Post by etaoin22 » Tue May 27, 2008 6:51 pm

here's my guess, that either to get an overtrick or to deal with an unavoidable trump loser, there is a squeeze if hearts split 5-2 and the long heart hand has the king of spades..

the only other issue I can think of is whether to believe the jack of diamonds
RHO drops under the ace.

NOW

to see what percentage of the real stuff I have appreciated....

oopsies. there are nine trumps, aren't there, not eight, so singleton vs falsecard aint in the books.

macrae1234

#9 Post by macrae1234 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:06 pm

I think more appropriately nobody thought of the extra chance of pitching a loser on the spade queen and quickly played the club king at trick one forever destroying any chance. THINK BEFORE YOU PLAY FROM DUMMY AT TRICK ONE

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:36 pm

macrae1234 wrote:I think more appropriately nobody thought of the extra chance of pitching a loser on the spade queen and quickly played the club king at trick one forever destroying any chance. THINK BEFORE YOU PLAY FROM DUMMY AT TRICK ONE
That's not what happened at our table. There, Declarer attempted to ruff out the spade king, but when that didn't work, she didn't complete the squeeze (electing instead to trump the fourth spade for some reason). And I suspect that at the other tables the opening lead might have been the queen of hearts.

I think it's simply that no one saw the correct line.

I'll have a double dummy problem up tonight. --Bob

christie1111
11:11

#11 Post by christie1111 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:37 pm

You guys should learn to speak English!

:P
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:46 pm

The club director got the alternate director called on him tonight.

Pard led a club to me because I bid 'em, and I took the K. Declarer hesitated a long time, so I was sure he had a doubleton J-x or J-10, more likely the former, so I led the Ace and got trumped, in the process making dummy's QC good.

Alternate director was going to take a trick away but wasn't sure of the rule, and Pard relented.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

The Carp
Merry Man

#13 Post by The Carp » Wed May 28, 2008 7:44 am

christie1111 wrote:You guys should learn to speak English!

That's precisely what I was thinking halfway through! Actually, I was thinking I wished I could speak Bridgelish. I like solving problems, but not when I don't understand them!

Just give me my "F" and I'll swim away quietly....
Bloop bloop

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:48 am

The Carp wrote:

That's precisely what I was thinking halfway through! Actually, I was thinking I wished I could speak Bridgelish. I like solving problems, but not when I don't understand them!

Just give me my "F" and I'll swim away quietly....
Even I can understand what they're saying.... :P

I've read the bridge tips in the paper for a long time even though I've never played and wouldn't have a clue what to do if I ever did play....

I prefer Uno or canasta....

lb13

slam

#15 Post by slam » Wed May 28, 2008 8:11 am

That conversation sounded perfectly normal to me. What's the problem? :)