I have a lady in a box

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

#26 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:30 am

tlynn78 wrote:
was that the only victim who survived capitivity with Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.

Except Joe Dirt, of course.

It took me about 20 years to get a car with a remote key, now I want one of these. Hope it doesn't take another 20 years

Me too, Sprots. I went looking for a car to buy. No real ideas in my head what I wanted. When my car sales guy pulled out a remote and pushed a button and a car across the lot started up, I said, I'll take it. Dint even know what it was, but I did end up buying it. I can start my car from my office window on cold days and it's warm and cozy by the time I get to it in the winter and nice and cooled off in the summer. I'll never have another car without a remote starter. Maybe I need a GPS thingie, too.

t.
I thought sprots was talking about a remote key - like one that unlocks the door without putting the key in, not the starter thingie.

I just can't see sprots having the starter thingie.

You - I can totally see that.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#27 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 am

peacock2121 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
was that the only victim who survived capitivity with Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.

Except Joe Dirt, of course.

It took me about 20 years to get a car with a remote key, now I want one of these. Hope it doesn't take another 20 years

Me too, Sprots. I went looking for a car to buy. No real ideas in my head what I wanted. When my car sales guy pulled out a remote and pushed a button and a car across the lot started up, I said, I'll take it. Dint even know what it was, but I did end up buying it. I can start my car from my office window on cold days and it's warm and cozy by the time I get to it in the winter and nice and cooled off in the summer. I'll never have another car without a remote starter. Maybe I need a GPS thingie, too.

t.
I thought sprots was talking about a remote key - like one that unlocks the door without putting the key in, not the starter thingie.

I just can't see sprots having the starter thingie.

You - I can totally see that.
You're right -- I was talking only about unlocking the door.

I can easily see me with the starter thingie too. Not having to put my boots on and sweep or scrape off the windshield in 10F or 20F weather or have to de-ice the door to get in because the defroster would do that for me. . .

. . . Or maybe I could clean out the garage with my $500 worth of garden, camping stuff, and books so my $8,000 car would fit in . . .
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

tlynn78

#28 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:26 am

My unlocker thing and starter thing are the same thing.
I can easily see me with the starter thingie too. Not having to put my boots on and sweep or scrape off the windshield in 10F or 20F weather or have to de-ice the door to get in because the defroster would do that for me.

Exactly! It rocks.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

fantine33

#29 Post by fantine33 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Lurking Bill wrote:
fantine33 wrote: Silence of the Lambs was one of the few movies that didn't spoil the book for me. Red Dragon sort of, but I'd read that one years and years ago when it first came out and I'd read Silence shortly before the movie.
Did you ever see Manhunter, with William Petersen? It was filmed in NC, so some of my local actor friends had tried out for parts, and when it was on TV I started watching it. My mom was there, and she recognized the story as The Red Dragon, so she gave me the book. The Silence (the book) came out. I was happy the movie was able to capture the tension of the book. In Manhunter, Brian Cox plays Lecter, and he's pretty creepy, too.

Haven't touched the book or the movie version of Hannibal. Just, no.
I saw it a long time ago, but I can't remember thinking it was any great shakes. But it was probably late night on TNT or someplace where it was chopped up. I liked the one with Ralph Fiennes better, but they way expanded the Lector role in both of them, as I recall.

I read Red Dragon when it first came out and I had no idea who Thomas Harris was, I just got it because it was in my Doubleday circular. I think those club things are a racket, but I certainly read a lot of books I wouldn't have otherwise because of it.

I read Hannibal when it first came out and I liked it, but I don't think I even watched all of the movie. Which surprised me, because I love Gary Oldham. But I don't really like Julianne Moore that much and not because she gasp! dared to replace Jodie Foster, I just don't like her that much in anything.

mellytu74

#30 Post by mellytu74 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:38 pm

When I saw the header for this, I was really hoping you'd come up with some sort of vaudeville act.

Y'know. Lady in a box, saw her in half. Pull some rabbits out of your hat.

But, sigh, it was just technology.

BigDrawMan

#31 Post by BigDrawMan » Wed May 28, 2008 9:30 pm

there was a story in the paper about sumguy who drove into a river because his gps told him to turn where there was no road.

a la The office.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#32 Post by cindy.wellman » Thu May 29, 2008 1:36 am

We named ours. Specifically, Sam named her, "Gretchen" Like some of the other GPSs here, she gets very annoyed at recalculating. I do like how she seems almost jubilant when we make it to the desired ending point. "Arriving at destination, on left!!!" OMG, I thought these numbskulls would NEVER get here!

We laughed when we followed her directions for our first trip to the Wal-Mart in Rexburg. She gave us directions to one of the LDS churches. Hmmmm

Lastly, I do enjoy her other accents, and languages she speaks. It sort of changes things up.

peacock2121

#33 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 29, 2008 4:00 am

I am practicing letting her tell me where to go.

I am learning stuff about her I did not know.

I am very happy with this present.

It just might go on the list of things that have changed my life.

Bob Juch

#34 Post by Bob Juch » Thu May 29, 2008 6:01 am

BigDrawMan wrote:there was a story in the paper about sumguy who drove into a river because his gps told him to turn where there was no road.

a la The office.
On Long Island just before I moved out here, a guy turned right onto the LIRR tracks in a Hertz rental car because it was dark and the GPS told him to turn. Yes, a train hit the car but he had exited.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

peacock2121

#35 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:32 am

I just got an e-mail from a guy who is coming to my house in a few days. He asked for my street address so he could program Naggy and she could get him here.

Made me laugh.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#36 Post by kayrharris » Thu May 29, 2008 7:41 am

I have a GPS that came with my car, but I don't know how to use it. I can get it to the part where it shows me a map of the road/highways I'm on, but that's it. She/he has never spoken to me.

Of course, you don't really need one in Auburn, AL.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Auburn, AL GPS
Merry Man

#37 Post by Auburn, AL GPS » Thu May 29, 2008 7:53 am

kayrharris wrote:Of course, you don't really need one in Auburn, AL.
I really think you do. You can ask me how to get to the old Wheeler place, and I'd say "You go the direction you're going now for a few blocks, then turn left where the Wilson's house used to be, and turn left. In a little bit you'll be out in the country, so look for where the big willow was before the borers got it, and turn right, then go for 3 or 4 miles until you pass what's left of the Fletcher's barn, unless the big wind last week finally blew it over, and make another right, and go until you get to the intersection where Elmer Joe Wayne Bob had the big accident, then make another right, and you're right there."

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#38 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:01 am

Auburn, AL GPS wrote:
I really think you do. You can ask me how to get to the old Wheeler place, and I'd say "You go the direction you're going now for a few blocks, then turn left where the Wilson's house used to be, and turn left. In a little bit you'll be out in the country, so look for where the big willow was before the borers got it, and turn right, then go for 3 or 4 miles until you pass what's left of the Fletcher's barn, unless the big wind last week finally blew it over, and make another right, and go until you get to the intersection where Elmer Joe Wayne Bob had the big accident, then make another right, and you're right there."
Yep, those twisters tend to move the mobile homes around like chess pieces.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

JoeBobBillyWayneTucker
Merry Man

#39 Post by JoeBobBillyWayneTucker » Thu May 29, 2008 8:02 am

Auburn, AL GPS wrote:
Elmer Joe Wayne Bob had an axeydint!?!? He musta bin gawkin' at those sheep on Fletcher's farm agin' while tryin' to drive his pickup....

Bob Juch

#40 Post by Bob Juch » Thu May 29, 2008 8:14 am

They say that women tend to give directions based on landmarks but men tend to give directions based on streets and distance.

The worse directions I ever got were form a woman when I was looking for a store in Alpharetta, Georgia:

"Go down the road to where the X store used to be then turn left."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mellytu74

#41 Post by mellytu74 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:25 am

Boonie gave me directions the first time I drove to his house.

He told me to turn left at the Texaco station.

So, I'm looking for the Texaco station. And I drive and I drive.

When I got to Ambler, a neighboring town, I called him on the cell phone.

Turns out the Texaco station had become a Liberty gas station. Several years before I started dating Boonie.

So, I drove back, we went to dinner with friends and, ever since, we've been a very happy couple.

The kicker is, as a rule he gives EXCELLENT directions.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#42 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu May 29, 2008 8:31 am

mellytu74 wrote:Boonie gave me directions the first time I drove to his house.

Turns out the Texaco station had become a Liberty gas station. Several years before I started dating Boonie.

So, I drove back, we went to dinner with friends and, ever since, we've been a very happy couple.

I often cite giving directions that include references to where thing used to be as a sign of aging, esp. when I catch myself doing it. You know turn by where Shoney's used to be and go just past where the railroad tracks used to be.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

gsabc

#43 Post by gsabc » Thu May 29, 2008 8:42 am

mellytu74 wrote:Boonie gave me directions the first time I drove to his house.

When I send directions to our house, I give route numbers, street names AND landmarks. GW thinks they're confusing and too complicated. GW was also my navigator for the only road rally in which I've gotten lost and did not complete. If I had known about her problems with directions, we would never have started dating.

For the upcoming shower, I did remember to update the directions for some landmark changes since they were last used. Including the appearance of our house. The front fence, which was unique on our stretch of road, is no longer there.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#44 Post by kayrharris » Thu May 29, 2008 9:21 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
Auburn, AL GPS wrote:
Ahem.....I live in a very nice neighborhood with street signs , believe it or not. :roll:
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#45 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:25 am

kayrharris wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
Auburn, AL GPS wrote: I really think you do. You can ask me how to get to the old Wheeler place, and I'd say "You go the direction you're going now for a few blocks, then turn left where the Wilson's house used to be, and turn left. In a little bit you'll be out in the country, so look for where the big willow was before the borers got it, and turn right, then go for 3 or 4 miles until you pass what's left of the Fletcher's barn, unless the big wind last week finally blew it over, and make another right, and go until you get to the intersection where Elmer Joe Wayne Bob had the big accident, then make another right, and you're right there."
Ahem.....I live in a very nice neighborhood with street signs , believe it or not. :roll:

lb13

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: I have a lady in a box

#46 Post by Beebs52 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:45 am

peacock2121 wrote:who talks to me in my car and tells me what roads to take.

Pealette buys GPS's, radar detectors and other such stuff for Curcuit City now. She was buying video games. Anyway, she got me a portable lady in a box. I let her tell me how to come home from LaGuardia. I got home.

I am looking forward to my road trip to Pigeon Forge. I will use it well.
I've read the entire thread and I finally had to comment. All I could think of during this whole thing, after reading "lady in a box", was Justin Timberlake's D*** in a Box video that played awhile back.
Well, then

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#47 Post by cindy.wellman » Thu May 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Beebs52 wrote:

Pealette buys GPS's, radar detectors and other such stuff for Curcuit City now. She was buying video games. Anyway, she got me a portable lady in a box. I let her tell me how to come home from LaGuardia. I got home.

I've read the entire thread and I finally had to comment. All I could think of during this whole thing, after reading "lady in a box", was Justin Timberlake's D*** in a Box video that played awhile back.
That one was cute/funny. I loled. I just saw it and the videos w/ Sarah Silverman on Jimmy Kimmel about f-ing Matt Damon this weekend. Have you seen them? I am usually the last to watch these things.

Completely NSFW and not safe for easily offended.

ttp://www.feld.com/blog/archives/2008/02/sarah_silverman.html

*Note: I love Jimmy's response to Sarah after the video finishes and it cuts back to them in the studio. LOL

Bob Juch

#48 Post by Bob Juch » Thu May 29, 2008 1:01 pm

cindy.wellman wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

That one was cute/funny. I loled. I just saw it and the videos w/ Sarah Silverman on Jimmy Kimmel about f-ing Matt Damon this weekend. Have you seen them? I am usually the last to watch these things.

Completely NSFW and not safe for easily offended.

ttp://www.feld.com/blog/archives/2008/02/sarah_silverman.html

*Note: I love Jimmy's response to Sarah after the video finishes and it cuts back to them in the studio. LOL
That link doesn't work for me.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#49 Post by cindy.wellman » Thu May 29, 2008 1:07 pm