I have a lady in a box

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

I have a lady in a box

#1 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:13 pm

who talks to me in my car and tells me what roads to take.

Pealette buys GPS's, radar detectors and other such stuff for Curcuit City now. She was buying video games. Anyway, she got me a portable lady in a box. I let her tell me how to come home from LaGuardia. I got home.

I am looking forward to my road trip to Pigeon Forge. I will use it well.

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: I have a lady in a box

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue May 27, 2008 3:15 pm

peacock2121 wrote:who talks to me in my car and tells me what roads to take.

Pealette buys GPS's, radar detectors and other such stuff for Curcuit City now. She was buying video games. Anyway, she got me a portable lady in a box. I let her tell me how to come home from LaGuardia. I got home.

You should switch to the male voice and call him Big Draw Man as he always wants to tell you where to go.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

peacock2121

Re: I have a lady in a box

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:17 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:who talks to me in my car and tells me what roads to take.

You should switch to the male voice and call him Big Draw Man as he always wants to tell you where to go.
LOL.

The male voice gave me the creeps. I wouldn't leave that guy alone with any boy under the age of 10.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:19 pm

I also loved it when she said "recalulating route" when I didn't do what she said.

I would have had her say something funny like "ooooookay..... you don't want to go that way, I'll find another way for you."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue May 27, 2008 3:43 pm

Jeff's parents gave us a GPS for the holidays, which he keeps in his car.

I love the note of exasperation when the voice has to recalculate the route.

KillerTomato

#6 Post by KillerTomato » Tue May 27, 2008 3:48 pm

I just got this flashback of two movies at once...very freaky. First, "Silence of the Lambs":

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin, or else it gets the hose again."

Then, even more freakily (since I haven't seen it in 15 years), "Boxing Helena" with Julian Sands and one of the chicks from "Twin Peaks". Wish I could remember any of the dialog....
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

jaybee

#7 Post by jaybee » Tue May 27, 2008 4:22 pm

I got a lady that always tells me where to go.
She showed up right after the wedding. :wink:
Jaybee

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue May 27, 2008 5:56 pm

KillerTomato wrote:I just got this flashback of two movies at once...very freaky. First, "Silence of the Lambs":

The actress who plays Dr. Erica Hahn on Grey's Anatomy , Brooke Smith, was that the only victim who survived capitivity with Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.

Ritterskoop

#9 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue May 27, 2008 8:16 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: The actress who plays Dr. Erica Hahn on Grey's Anatomy , Brooke Smith, was that the only victim who survived capitivity with Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.
She was one of my favorite characters on Crossing Jordan: the blond coroner who was on the last year or so. Kate. She and Nigel were starting to become friends in a funny way.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

fantine33

#10 Post by fantine33 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:48 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
KillerTomato wrote:I just got this flashback of two movies at once...very freaky. First, "Silence of the Lambs":

The actress who plays Dr. Erica Hahn on Grey's Anatomy , Brooke Smith, was that the only victim who survived capitivity with Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.
Was that the senator's daughter? Silence of the Lambs was one of the few movies that didn't spoil the book for me. Red Dragon sort of, but I'd read that one years and years ago when it first came out and I'd read Silence shortly before the movie.

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 27, 2008 10:55 pm

peacock2121 wrote:I also loved it when she said "recalulating route" when I didn't do what she said.

I would have had her say something funny like "ooooookay..... you don't want to go that way, I'll find another way for you."
My lady somehow manager to cop an attitude when she says "lost GPS signal" or "recalculating route" which is strange because she's entirely synthesized.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:14 pm

It took me about 20 years to get a car with a remote key, now I want one of these. Hope it doesn't take another 20 years.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#13 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue May 27, 2008 11:20 pm

fantine33 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

Was that the senator's daughter? Silence of the Lambs was one of the few movies that didn't spoil the book for me. Red Dragon sort of, but I'd read that one years and years ago when it first came out and I'd read Silence shortly before the movie.
Yes, she was the senator's daughter.

peacock2121

#14 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:20 am

jaybee wrote:I got a lady that always tells me where to go.
She showed up right after the wedding. :wink:
LOL - you let someone be the boss of you?

That is the first step toward a great marriage - for a guy, of course.

peacock2121

#15 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:21 am

Bob Juch wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I also loved it when she said "recalulating route" when I didn't do what she said.

My lady somehow manager to cop an attitude when she says "lost GPS signal" or "recalculating route" which is strange because she's entirely synthesized.
I think it's in the listening, not in the speaking.

peacock2121

#16 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:23 am

SportsFan68 wrote:It took me about 20 years to get a car with a remote key, now I want one of these. Hope it doesn't take another 20 years.
I was afraid of it. If Pealette hadn't given me one, I don't think I would ever have one.

I noticed I am afraid of electronic stuff that I have to figure out - like I am some how too stoopid to figure out how to use them.

How dumb is that?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#17 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 am

You can save a lot of money on a GPS device by never going anywhere you haven't been before.....

lb13

gotribego26

#18 Post by gotribego26 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:09 am

My sister calls her box "meanie" because the voice sounds so nasty.

I think you should get one programmed to say "Bite Me" rather than "recalculating route".

We had a road rerouted by us about a year ago - I haven't seen a GPS with an updated map - so they all think you are driving through a field now - they don't like that.

peacock2121

#19 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:27 am

gotribego26 wrote:

My sister calls her box "meanie" because the voice sounds so nasty.

I think you should get one programmed to say "Bite Me" rather than "recalculating route".

We had a road rerouted by us about a year ago - I haven't seen a GPS with an updated map - so they all think you are driving through a field now - they don't like that.
My lady is sweet.

I can't imagine her telling me to bite her.

It makes me gasp when someone tells me to bite them.

I wonder if people gasp when I say it to them.

gotribego26

#20 Post by gotribego26 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:33 am

peacock2121 wrote:I wonder if people gasp when I say it to them.
No - we gasp when you don't say it!!!! :D

peacock2121

#21 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:36 am

gotribego26 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I wonder if people gasp when I say it to them.
No - we gasp when you don't say it!!!! :D
You notice there are people who are not worthy of biting me.

They just don't get to.

Lurking Bill
Merry Man

#22 Post by Lurking Bill » Wed May 28, 2008 7:24 am

fantine33 wrote: Silence of the Lambs was one of the few movies that didn't spoil the book for me. Red Dragon sort of, but I'd read that one years and years ago when it first came out and I'd read Silence shortly before the movie.
Did you ever see Manhunter, with William Petersen? It was filmed in NC, so some of my local actor friends had tried out for parts, and when it was on TV I started watching it. My mom was there, and she recognized the story as The Red Dragon, so she gave me the book. The Silence (the book) came out. I was happy the movie was able to capture the tension of the book. In Manhunter, Brian Cox plays Lecter, and he's pretty creepy, too.

Haven't touched the book or the movie version of Hannibal. Just, no.
Don't call me George!

Bixby17

#23 Post by Bixby17 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:36 am

My most recent car came with GPS built in. I thought it was a doodah I would never use.

I love it.

It sometimes gives me stupid directions that are certainly not faster. The directions from Austin to Houston had you going through Luling, which is a much slower trip, but involves BBQ so delicious that they refuse to serve sauce with it.

We used it a bunch in our trip from Houston to Tucson to Marfa and back. It was very very handy. Especially getting around Tucson to find stuff we saw in guidebooks.

Ours has a female voice, but I often turn it off just to look at the map. She talks too much.

tlynn78

#24 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:20 am

was that the only victim who survived capitivity with Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs.

Except Joe Dirt, of course.

It took me about 20 years to get a car with a remote key, now I want one of these. Hope it doesn't take another 20 years

Me too, Sprots. I went looking for a car to buy. No real ideas in my head what I wanted. When my car sales guy pulled out a remote and pushed a button and a car across the lot started up, I said, I'll take it. Dint even know what it was, but I did end up buying it. I can start my car from my office window on cold days and it's warm and cozy by the time I get to it in the winter and nice and cooled off in the summer. I'll never have another car without a remote starter. Maybe I need a GPS thingie, too.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jaybee

#25 Post by jaybee » Wed May 28, 2008 10:19 am

I didn't realize that GPS units even liked BBQ. I wonder if they are all like that or if it's just for Texas cars?

I got a remote starter with my big 'ol diesel truck. One favorite pastime is to watch for someone walking in front of the truck before hitting the start button. Childish, but fun.
Jaybee