Whatever Happened to Tuesday Night?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

Whatever Happened to Tuesday Night?

#1 Post by fantine33 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:46 pm

Not so long ago, there were three (sometimes four) television programs on at the same time that I wanted to watch, resulting in wild channel flipping and missing most of all of them, while I did ebay stuff.

Now they are all over, I've already watched this week's The Tudors three times and I'm forced to view Lakers/Spurs.

But I'm still too lazy to crack open some DVD sets I got a while back and haven't even taken off the shrinkwrap of most of them.

Ritterskoop

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue May 27, 2008 8:54 pm

It is rerun season already on TV.

I went to see Richard Thomas in 12 Angry Men on stage. Next Tuesday is Jesus Christ Superstar.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue May 27, 2008 9:43 pm

Read a book! :)

fantine33

#4 Post by fantine33 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:16 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Read a book! :)
I can't read while I'm doing ebay listings.

Besides, I'm out of books. Unless we're counting that one in the bookcase beside the bed. I think it's called The Historian. Ha!

fantine33

#5 Post by fantine33 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:It is rerun season already on TV.

I went to see Richard Thomas in 12 Angry Men on stage. Next Tuesday is Jesus Christ Superstar.
Reruns I could handle. But my shows have actually ended. I'm not sure if the ones replacing them are repeats or not, but they are not anything I'd care to watch.

I used to be friendly with the son of Reginald Rose. He was going to see about getting his Dad's Emmy so I could see it, but it never happened.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by ontellen » Tue May 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Even though I tape Days of our Lives, Millionaire & J every day I still had enough time to watch Law & Order SVU. First time I've ever watched it. It was with Cynthia Nixon and she was great.

That's what you can do, Fanny. Watch shows you didn't watch all season.

fantine33

#7 Post by fantine33 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:23 pm

ontellen wrote:Even though I tape Days of our Lives, Millionaire & J every day I still had enough time to watch Law & Order SVU. First time I've ever watched it. It was with Cynthia Nixon and she was great.

That's what you can do, Fanny. Watch shows you didn't watch all season.
I always forget about SVU. I still think of that as a Friday night show, after all these years.

ELLIE! Did you hear the news??? Sue is retiring!!!!11

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 27, 2008 11:02 pm

My TiVo is feeling very lonely. It's recorded exactly one program since Thursday.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#9 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:10 pm

I'm glad I'm playing bridge on Tuesdays these days.

Third tonight -- one disastrous round where I made a colossal blunder on the first hand and didn't recover the rest of the round. I forgot that Pard and I were playing DONT. AARGH!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue May 27, 2008 11:25 pm

fantine33 wrote:

Besides, I'm out of books. Unless we're counting that one in the bookcase beside the bed. I think it's called The Historian. Ha!
:) I have that book sitting around as well.

peacock2121

#11 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:18 am

I am finally catching up on things I taped all winter and haven't been able to watch.

I am finally watching stuff at a faster rate than I am taping them.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#12 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:18 am

Thankfully, they always play baseball on Tuesday night....

lb13

The Carp
Merry Man

#13 Post by The Carp » Wed May 28, 2008 6:57 am

I was wondering how I would handle my Idol Withdrawal, then got handed my son's copy of Maus that we had to read and discuss for his English class. Yes, I said "we". His teacher is the greatest and even assigns the parents homework to keep us involved.

So I killed two hours there and a few minutes typing out my thoughts for our discussion. I stinks when you watch exactly one show, and it ends. And baseball is such an iffy option when you're a Mets fan. You don't want to end the night feeling suicidal, so you read something as upbeat as Maus instead... :P
Bloop bloop

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:02 am

Sure! Make me have to look something up again to figure out what you're talking about.... :P

And we're not going to accept doing homework as an excuse for any future absences from the Bored either..... :P

lb13

Lurking Bill
Merry Man

#15 Post by Lurking Bill » Wed May 28, 2008 7:16 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Sure! Make me have to look something up again to figure out what you're talking about.... :P

And we're not going to accept doing homework as an excuse for any future absences from the Bored either..... :P

lb13
Maus is a comic strip depiction of the artist's father's Holocaust experience. Laugh-a-minute it ain't, but it makes it accessible for the younger set. He also had to read Night by Elie Wiesel, and it was very depressing to him. But it makes you think.
Don't call me George!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#16 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:22 am

Lurking Bill wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:Sure! Make me have to look something up again to figure out what you're talking about.... :P

lb13
Maus is a comic strip depiction of the artist's father's Holocaust experience. Laugh-a-minute it ain't, but it makes it accessible for the younger set. He also had to read Night by Elie Wiesel, and it was very depressing to him. But it makes you think.

I had found Maus on Google, but was a little unsure if that was what you were talking about. I didn't have to read anything like that at his age....

lb13

Lurking Bill
Merry Man

#17 Post by Lurking Bill » Wed May 28, 2008 7:30 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Lurking Bill wrote:

lb13

I had found Maus on Google, but was a little unsure if that was what you were talking about. I didn't have to read anything like that at his age....

lb13
Brag Alert! Feel free to quit reading if you didn't miss hearing about how great my kids are in my absense......

This is an honors class at a private school, and bunches of his classmates are Jewish, so they do a lot of units on tolerance.

The Brag Part: I went to the awards assembly last week to see him get his certificate for winning the Chemistry Division of the Science Fair, and he got called up SIX TIMES (and they pronounced the last name right twice!). Latin, science, science fair, orchestra, journalism, and the Spirit Award, which goes to one male and one female in the entire Middle School and encompasses your three years there. He exemplifies the spirit of the school. I was verklempt.
Don't call me George!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#18 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:47 am

Lurking Bill wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Lurking Bill wrote: Maus is a comic strip depiction of the artist's father's Holocaust experience. Laugh-a-minute it ain't, but it makes it accessible for the younger set. He also had to read Night by Elie Wiesel, and it was very depressing to him. But it makes you think.

lb13
Brag Alert! Feel free to quit reading if you didn't miss hearing about how great my kids are in my absense......

This is an honors class at a private school, and bunches of his classmates are Jewish, so they do a lot of units on tolerance.

The Brag Part: I went to the awards assembly last week to see him get his certificate for winning the Chemistry Division of the Science Fair, and he got called up SIX TIMES (and they pronounced the last name right twice!). Latin, science, science fair, orchestra, journalism, and the Spirit Award, which goes to one male and one female in the entire Middle School and encompasses your three years there. He exemplifies the spirit of the school. I was verklempt.
How hard is it to pronounce "me"? Oh, you mean "Klempt".
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 28, 2008 8:52 am

Lurking Bill wrote: The Brag Part: I went to the awards assembly last week to see him get his certificate for winning the Chemistry Division of the Science Fair, and he got called up SIX TIMES (and they pronounced the last name right twice!). Latin, science, science fair, orchestra, journalism, and the Spirit Award, which goes to one male and one female in the entire Middle School and encompasses your three years there. He exemplifies the spirit of the school. I was verklempt.
Congratulations, Stephen!

So does this private school continue into high school or will he be going elsewhere in the fall?

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#20 Post by minimetoo26 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:58 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Lurking Bill wrote: The Brag Part: I went to the awards assembly last week to see him get his certificate for winning the Chemistry Division of the Science Fair, and he got called up SIX TIMES (and they pronounced the last name right twice!). Latin, science, science fair, orchestra, journalism, and the Spirit Award, which goes to one male and one female in the entire Middle School and encompasses your three years there. He exemplifies the spirit of the school. I was verklempt.
Congratulations, Stephen!

So does this private school continue into high school or will he be going elsewhere in the fall?
It runs from cradle to grave. And now that the Hebrew Academy is closing their Middle School, our neighbor's daughter is coming next year. Our other neighbor's grandkids started this year, and their grandson also cleaned up at the ceremony, winning a bunch of 7th grade stuff, and I had told them he would be getting the math award since he's in Stephen's 8th grade math class and kicks everyone's...GPA, and he did win! It was nice having our little lovefest in the auditorium since Michael was new to the school and Stephen is this quiet spectre they see silently going about his business, so they got to see how highly the school thinks of him.

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 28, 2008 9:04 am

minimetoo26 wrote: Stephen is this quiet spectre they see silently going about his business
A spectre?

No wonder I like this kid! 8)

ghostjmf

#22 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 28, 2008 11:29 am

I have umptydump PBS stuff taped that I haven't watched, including a couple dramas. And The 4700, or however/many there were, from last year on tape. That's the cable show set in Seattle about people snatched by Powers From The Future, not 4700 PBS episodes. I will run out of dramas in a few weeks; then its on to the "good for you" PBS documentaries. Even PBS's mysteries are not playing new episodes 'til the end of June, which kinda sucks, as I failed to tape the right channel one Tuesday night & now won't know what happens 'til they decide to rerun those shows.

Those who like Lawn Order CI & have cable will get to see new eps in June. I will have to wait 'til they run them on network, or until my sister gets me a DVD full of ones she's hopefully taped. And CBC is finally running the Da Vinci's Inquest movie, in the can for at at least 1 year, in June.

fantine33

#23 Post by fantine33 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:11 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
fantine33 wrote:

So whoever managed to fly through it didn't inspire either one of us to give it another try, huh?

Good news, I'm saved from The Historian! I was digging through my boxes of books in the garage looking for my Antonia Fraser (6 Wives) so I can brush up and nitpick and otherwise tear apart the Tudors finale next week. I didn't find it, but I did find another Anne Boleyn book that I thought I lost by borrowing it off about 10 years ago. And, although it's obviously not as comprehensive of the whole picture as the Fraser book is, it's my favourite AB book and I haven't read it for years! So yay!!!

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#24 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed May 28, 2008 12:17 pm

fantine33 wrote:
fantine33 wrote: I can't read while I'm doing ebay listings.

So whoever managed to fly through it didn't inspire either one of us to give it another try, huh?

Good news, I'm saved from The Historian! I was digging through my boxes of books in the garage looking for my Antonia Fraser (6 Wives) so I can brush up and nitpick and otherwise tear apart the Tudors finale next week. I didn't find it, but I did find another Anne Boleyn book that I thought I lost by borrowing it off about 10 years ago. And, although it's obviously not as comprehensive of the whole picture as the Fraser book is, it's my favourite AB book and I haven't read it for years! So yay!!!
Which one is it?

fantine33

#25 Post by fantine33 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:34 pm

fantine33 wrote:Good news, I'm saved from The Historian! I was digging through my boxes of books in the garage looking for my Antonia Fraser (6 Wives) so I can brush up and nitpick and otherwise tear apart the Tudors finale next week. I didn't find it, but I did find another Anne Boleyn book that I thought I lost by borrowing it off about 10 years ago. And, although it's obviously not as comprehensive of the whole picture as the Fraser book is, it's my favourite AB book and I haven't read it for years! So yay!!!
Which one is it?
http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Boleyn-Norah ... C1JTV0R2WX

I think mine is an earlier printing, but the cover is the same. It's an actual biography, not one of the historical fiction type novels. I haven't looked through it yet (I'm saving for tonight) but I seem to remember it having a lot of nice pictures and, while it's very factual and fairly detailed, it's an easier read and not nearly as scholarly and dry as Antonia Fraser (if you've read 6 Wives, you'll know what I mean).