Technical help - get dvd/other downloadable copy of episode

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
sunflower
Bored Hooligan

Technical help - get dvd/other downloadable copy of episode

#1 Post by sunflower » Wed May 28, 2008 6:59 am

Surprise, surprise...I'm asking for help again! I can be so needy! :wink:

I'm hoping that someone out there can help me. I have my WWTBAM episode saved on my DVR. We were able to transfer it to video tape to watch at our viewing party. But I planned to make DVD copies to give to friends, or alternatively, get a downloadable version that I can email to people.

I bought a DVD-R recorder but it is just not working. User error, I'm sure, but I can't get it to copy anything saved on the DVR. Live tv, yes. DVR, no. I gave up.

So I'm looking for either someone who knows how to do it and has my episode saved (May 9) and can email it to me, or someone who can walk me through how to download from my DVR to a computer (what hardware/cables are needed, etc). Please help me!!! Thank you so much!! :)

Bob Juch

Re: Technical help - get dvd/other downloadable copy of epis

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 7:50 am

sunflower wrote:Surprise, surprise...I'm asking for help again! I can be so needy! :wink:

I'm hoping that someone out there can help me. I have my WWTBAM episode saved on my DVR. We were able to transfer it to video tape to watch at our viewing party. But I planned to make DVD copies to give to friends, or alternatively, get a downloadable version that I can email to people.

I bought a DVD-R recorder but it is just not working. User error, I'm sure, but I can't get it to copy anything saved on the DVR. Live tv, yes. DVR, no. I gave up.

So I'm looking for either someone who knows how to do it and has my episode saved (May 9) and can email it to me, or someone who can walk me through how to download from my DVR to a computer (what hardware/cables are needed, etc). Please help me!!! Thank you so much!! :)
That all depends on which DVR you have! TiVo?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#3 Post by sunflower » Wed May 28, 2008 9:02 am

Bob Juch wrote:That all depends on which DVR you have! TiVo?
Comcast - I think it's a Motorola but I'm not home so I'm not 100% sure on the brand of the box.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 9:45 am

sunflower wrote:
Comcast - I think it's a Motorola but I'm not home so I'm not 100% sure on the brand of the box.
What sort of output does it have?

Do you have a video capture card on your PC?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#5 Post by sunflower » Wed May 28, 2008 2:37 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
sunflower wrote:

I think those are probably simple questions, if you know anything about this stuff. I'm going to answer with a big DUH...WHAT?? :?

As far as output I'm not sure what you mean but I can look at it when I get home, if this is something I can tell by looking at it?

And yes, double duh when I have to answer that I'm not even sure if I have a video capture card on my PC! I have never used it but I got a whole package deal when I bought my laptop so it could quite possibly be on there. If not, is it something you can buy after the fact? I'll get whatever I need to (well, I'd probably not get a new computer) to make this work!

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 3:09 pm

sunflower wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
sunflower wrote: Comcast - I think it's a Motorola but I'm not home so I'm not 100% sure on the brand of the box.

I think those are probably simple questions, if you know anything about this stuff. I'm going to answer with a big DUH...WHAT?? :?

As far as output I'm not sure what you mean but I can look at it when I get home, if this is something I can tell by looking at it?

And yes, double duh when I have to answer that I'm not even sure if I have a video capture card on my PC! I have never used it but I got a whole package deal when I bought my laptop so it could quite possibly be on there. If not, is it something you can buy after the fact? I'll get whatever I need to (well, I'd probably not get a new computer) to make this work!
Your laptop almost certainly can't do video capture unless it's a Sony Vaio and cost over $3000.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#7 Post by sunflower » Wed May 28, 2008 3:14 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Your laptop almost certainly can't do video capture unless it's a Sony Vaio and cost over $3000.
Okay, then, no...I have a Dell that was around $1000.

goongas

#8 Post by goongas » Wed May 28, 2008 8:19 pm

They don't want to make it easy for you to get content off of a DVR to your computer. A default laptop will not have the hardware necessary for you to do what you want. Only TiVo that I know of has software that allows you capture content from your DVR. I would try and figure out if you are able to save the content from your DVR directly to the DVD recorder.