Question for you grammar people

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

#26 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:00 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
Catfish wrote: This is correct, as in Veterans Affairs.
Perfect analogy for my brain!
I like Catfish's example too.

T makes a good point too. And if you call it The Assistant Training Program, you won't have people constantly bugging you to put an apostrophe in. :)
avoidance!

Not always a bad thing.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#27 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 am

peacock2121 wrote:
Catfish wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:Why not "Assistant Training Program"?

t.
Or "Assistant-Training Program" lest anyone think the chief training program has an assistant.
oh boy. Now we're getting into dashes and stuff that I have no clue when and how to use properly.
Actually, that's a hypen. :mrgreen:

That distinction has blurred to the point where I've come around. If I'm reading a serial number over the phone, I don't say 6 hyphen 823, I say 6 dash 823 so as not to confuse my phone helper.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

peacock2121

#28 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:03 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
Catfish wrote: Or "Assistant-Training Program" lest anyone think the chief training program has an assistant.
oh boy. Now we're getting into dashes and stuff that I have no clue when and how to use properly.

That distinction has blurred to the point where I've come around. If I'm reading a serial number over the phone, I don't say 6 hyphen 823, I say 6 dash 823 so as not to confuse my phone helper.
bite me

:twisted:

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#29 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:04 am

peacock2121 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: oh boy. Now we're getting into dashes and stuff that I have no clue when and how to use properly.

bite me

Happily!

It's been months. :mrgreen:
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

peacock2121

#30 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:07 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote: Actually, that's a hypen. :mrgreen:

bite me

Happily!

You are here during the day!

It is so great to have that.

Bob Juch

#31 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 11:09 am

peacock2121 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: My first answer is because there will be more than one assistant being trained at a time.

Does that make a difference in that?
You just answered why the second choice was wrong.
I don't get that.
Because there are assistants. "Assistant's" would belong to one assistant.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#32 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:26 am

peacock2121 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: bite me

Happily!

You are here during the day!

It is so great to have that.
Thanks!

It's about to end -- I may or may not be back late 2nite.

Everybody have a great day!

themanintheseersuckersuit

#33 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed May 28, 2008 11:35 am

Instruction for Volunteers :P
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

MarleysGh0st

#34 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 28, 2008 11:42 am

I vote for Assistant Training Program.

And Google agrees.

"Assistants Training Program" (which includes both variants with the apostrophe) gets 1,930 hits.

"Assistant Training Program" gets 63,500 hits.

That's an overwhelming ATA result! 8)

mrkelley23

#35 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:59 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I vote for Assistant Training Program.

And Google agrees.

"Assistants Training Program" (which includes both variants with the apostrophe) gets 1,930 hits.

I have a feeling James Kilpatrick would disagree. There is no absolute authority of course, but I like Kilpatrick's common sense approach. He says in a case like this, where there is no absolute "correct" answer, to go with a correct answer that doesn't cause the reader to back up and say "whoa! did I read that right?"

That's why I vote for Assistants Training Program. What does the program do? Why, it trains assistants. "Assistant Training Program" sounds like a program that's not quite good enough to be a training program yet, so it's just an assistant.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

gsabc

#36 Post by gsabc » Wed May 28, 2008 12:36 pm

Sheesh, I thought I was pedantic! Just call it "Irving" and be done with it.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#37 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:04 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:I vote for Assistant Training Program.

And Google agrees.

I have a feeling James Kilpatrick would disagree. There is no absolute authority of course, but I like Kilpatrick's common sense approach. He says in a case like this, where there is no absolute "correct" answer, to go with a correct answer that doesn't cause the reader to back up and say "whoa! did I read that right?"

That's why I vote for Assistants Training Program. What does the program do? Why, it trains assistants. "Assistant Training Program" sounds like a program that's not quite good enough to be a training program yet, so it's just an assistant.
I agree with Mr. K. Quite right, sir.
Also, your cat there. Gee. Has Merv been moonlighting?
Well, then

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#38 Post by etaoin22 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:32 pm

No possessive AFAICS, so "Assistants Training Program"

like the difference between " John's file" and a "Johns file"

Bob Juch

#39 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 1:45 pm

As an aside:

27 years ago I went to a company class called "System Engineer Cross-training". On the materials that was abbreviated to "SE X training". :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#40 Post by sunflower » Wed May 28, 2008 2:48 pm

IMO, it doesn't belong to anyone. It is a program for becoming an assistant therefore I belive it is the "Assistant Training Program". Like the previous example of nurse training program, it does not belong to anyone. They are not assistants yet, so it is not theirs, either in the singular or the plural.

wbtravis007

#41 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:57 pm

How 'bout: Training Program for Assistants?

What the hell do they need to know, anyway?

Let me know if you need an assistant for your program.

a1mamacat

Re: Question for you grammar people

#42 Post by a1mamacat » Wed May 28, 2008 2:57 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I am creating this program. It is designed to train people who are not on staff and volunteer at seminars for Landmark Education. I have assisted at seminars for quite some time and have something to contribute to people who have never done that before. This is a program to train assistants (or people who assist).

My question:

It is The Assistants Training Program or The Assistant's Training Program?
Neither!

The Assistants' Training Program
Okay, but why the " ' " - where is the ownership?
Cus Assistants ends in an S. For example. A book that belongs to Big J is, vs James' book. A book belonging to Moi, is Saucy's Book
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Bob Juch

#43 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 3:13 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Neither!

The Assistants' Training Program
Okay, but why the " ' " - where is the ownership?
Cus Assistants ends in an S. For example. A book that belongs to Big J is, vs James' book. A book belonging to Moi, is Saucy's Book
Not in the U.S. I'm not sure about British English either, but in the U.S. it would be "James's". For some reason the only exception to that rule is "Jesus'".

tlynn78

#44 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:16 pm

Cus Assistants ends in an S. For example. A book that belongs to Big J is, vs James' book. A book belonging to Moi, is Saucy's

Nope. "Assistants" ends in 's' because it is plural. James ends in 's' because it just does. There is only one James (for which, at times, I'm sure you are grateful)

I still think it should simply be Assistant Training Program. Most people will know the "Assistant" modifies "training," not "program." The ones who don't know, you probably don't want to try to train, anyway.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#45 Post by sunflower » Wed May 28, 2008 3:21 pm

Grammar is so controversial!! :shock:

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#46 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 28, 2008 3:30 pm

Bob Juch said:
Not in the U.S. I'm not sure about British English either, but in the U.S. it would be "James's". For some reason the only exception to that rule is "Jesus'".
It's not a question of U.S. vs. British English. Saucy is following the traditional rule she was taught, as was I. Alas, that rule has been "simplified," because -- in my opinion -- someone decided that most schoolchildren were incapable of remembering it. (I might argue that too many teachers were unable to tell the difference, but that's an argument for another day.)

Ken Jennings has related the story of how his recent book, "Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac" gained the extra S over his objections. It will always look wrong to some of us.
Last edited by silvercamaro on Wed May 28, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tlynn78

#47 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:40 pm

tlynn 78 said:

Actually, that was Bob Juch. I understand your confusion. We look a lot alike, only his beard is heavier.

:P

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#48 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 3:48 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
tlynn 78 said:

Actually, that was Bob Juch. I understand your confusion. We look a lot alike, only his beard is heavier.

t.
I'm the one with the belly hair.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#49 Post by kayrharris » Wed May 28, 2008 3:48 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
tlynn 78 said:

t.

This made me laugh out loud. It is hard to keep up, especially on a very long thread. (I hope I used correct punctuation....ignore if I didn't.)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#50 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 28, 2008 3:51 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
tlynn 78 said:

t.
Oops. Somehow I cut off the beginning of the quote thingie, and I tried to correct it quickly, but didn't go back far enough to the right post. Please accept my apologies. (I'm afraid now to say anything else for fear that in trying to make some kind of joke here, I'd offend one of you or the other.)

I'll go edit my post.