Question for you grammar people

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

Question for you grammar people

#1 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:27 am

I am creating this program. It is designed to train people who are not on staff and volunteer at seminars for Landmark Education. I have assisted at seminars for quite some time and have something to contribute to people who have never done that before. This is a program to train assistants (or people who assist).

My question:

It is The Assistants Training Program or The Assistant's Training Program?

Bob Juch

Re: Question for you grammar people

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 10:36 am

peacock2121 wrote:I am creating this program. It is designed to train people who are not on staff and volunteer at seminars for Landmark Education. I have assisted at seminars for quite some time and have something to contribute to people who have never done that before. This is a program to train assistants (or people who assist).

My question:

Neither!

The Assistants' Training Program
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:37 am

peacock2121 wrote:I am creating this program. It is designed to train people who are not on staff and volunteer at seminars for Landmark Education. I have assisted at seminars for quite some time and have something to contribute to people who have never done that before. This is a program to train assistants (or people who assist).

My question:

The Assistants
Well, then

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:37 am

Bob Juch wrote:

My question:

Neither!

Okay, but why the " ' " - where is the ownership?

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:37 am

The first.

It's The Assistants Training Program, not The Managerial Training Program.

If you did want to make it a possessive, it would be The Assistants' Training Program. I prefer the the first one because it's descriptive, and besides, you don't have to worry about where the apostrophe goes.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:39 am

peacock2121 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

My question:

Neither!

The assistants own it -- it's their training program. If that's what you want to say, Bob's right.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:39 am

SportsFan68 wrote:The first.

If you did want to make it a possessive, it would be The Assistants' Training Program. I prefer the the first one because it's descriptive, and besides, you don't have to worry about where the apostrophe goes.
That is what I thought and I am getting some input that I am off.

I like the descriptive part.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:41 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Neither!

The assistants own it -- it's their training program. If that's what you want to say, Bob's right.
It's not what I want to say - they don't own it - they are getting trained by it.

Although - I do own it and I am an assistant, and I am not being trained (although I will be, but not as a design of the program) - I am training other assistants.

This is the talking out of it that I needed.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 10:44 am

peacock2121 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: Okay, but why the " ' " - where is the ownership?
It's not what I want to say - they don't own it - they are getting trained by it.

Although - I do own it and I am an assistant, and I am not being trained (although I will be, but not as a design of the program) - I am training other assistants.

OK, then no apostrophe.

So why did you ask about The Assistant's Training Program?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:48 am

Bob Juch wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote: The assistants own it -- it's their training program. If that's what you want to say, Bob's right.

OK, then no apostrophe.

So why did you ask about The Assistant's Training Program?
Because someone else who is involved called it that after I called it the former.

tlynn78

#11 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:49 am

Why not "Assistant Training Program"?

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

peacock2121

#12 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:50 am

tlynn78 wrote:Why not "Assistant Training Program"?

t.
My first answer is because there will be more than one assistant being trained at a time.

Does that make a difference in that?

Catfish

#13 Post by Catfish » Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 am

This is correct, as in Veterans Affairs.
Catfish

peacock2121

#14 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 am

peacock2121 wrote:

t.
My first answer is because there will be more than one assistant being trained at a time.

And there is always more than one assistant assisting at the seminars.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#15 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 am

peacock2121 wrote:

That is what I thought and I am getting some input that I am off.

I like the descriptive part.
Yeah, darn it, people have been putting in unnecessary apostrophes and commas for a couple of decades now. We're reaping what those Middle School English teachers did 30 years ago. The teachers did it correctly, but now, it just "looks right" to put extra apostrophes in -- sorta like it just "looks right" to put whom in the middle of a sentence.

Same with commas -- you'll often find a comma between rancher and took in a sentence like this: The rancher took his stock to the sale barn early in hopes of getting the best quarters.

peacock2121

#16 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:52 am

Catfish wrote:

Perfect analogy for my brain!

tlynn78

#17 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:53 am

I would say no.

I've seen "Manager Training" programs, "Nurse Training" programs, "Intern Training" programs, etc. HOwever many attendees you have at the class, you are training each of them to be an assistant. At least, that's how I see it. But what do I know?

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#18 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:55 am

peacock2121 wrote: Because someone else who is involved called it that after I called it the former.
I'd bet money that it just "looked right" to her/him.

peacock2121

#19 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:55 am

tlynn78 wrote:
I would say no.

I've seen "Manager Training" programs, "Nurse Training" programs, "Intern Training" programs, etc. HOwever many attendees you have at the class, you are training each of them to be an assistant. At least, that's how I see it. But what do I know?

t.
hmmm..... I will think about that one. I am going to train each of them individually.

I shall ponder that one.

Catfish

#20 Post by Catfish » Wed May 28, 2008 10:55 am

t.
Or "Assistant-Training Program" lest anyone think the chief training program has an assistant.
Catfish

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 10:55 am

peacock2121 wrote:

t.

You just answered why the second choice was wrong.

peacock2121

#22 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:56 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: Because someone else who is involved called it that after I called it the former.
I'd bet money that it just "looked right" to her/him.
I will ask her why she changed it.

I will laugh if she says "It just didn't look right the other way."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#23 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:57 am

peacock2121 wrote:
Catfish wrote:

Perfect analogy for my brain!
I like Catfish's example too.

T makes a good point too. And if you call it The Assistant Training Program, you won't have people constantly bugging you to put an apostrophe in. :)

peacock2121

#24 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:57 am

Bob Juch wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:

t.

You just answered why the second choice was wrong.
I don't get that.

peacock2121

#25 Post by peacock2121 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:59 am

Catfish wrote:

t.
Or "Assistant-Training Program" lest anyone think the chief training program has an assistant.
oh boy. Now we're getting into dashes and stuff that I have no clue when and how to use properly.