Chaperonage

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

#26 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed May 28, 2008 12:01 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:The next to last message in this is the most telling.

On the (Extremely rare) occasions where we are allowed to take students on overnight trips, the teachers/coaches are required to be in at least adjoining rooms with the kids they are chaperoning and to take an active role in supervising their activities.
The night before the competition, the coach came to the boys' room and was looking for Maddie because Maddie's roommate lost her room key. (This was around 9:00 ish)

Maddie let the roommate in and went back into the boys' room to study.

Around 11:30, the teacher called the room and asked if Maddie had gone back to her room. They boys said that she had left a few minutes earlier, though she was still in the room.

The next night, Maddie watched SNL with the other group of boys. She told me where she was and I had her text me when she was back in her room so that I would know that she was safe.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#27 Post by kayrharris » Wed May 28, 2008 1:00 pm

I've chaperoned a few high school trips. I needed medication by the time it was over and I made more than a few of said children mad. I didn't care if I made them mad, as I was responsible for what happened.

The word chaperon doesn't even come close to the role these teachers played. God knows what could have happened with a different bunch of kids.

Checking by phone to make sure everyone is in there room? How irresponsible can you get?? These teachers need to answer for the way they handled this trip.

I feel terrible for Maddie. I agree with going to the last practice, however, I think she may be better off leaving the team. The bright side is she will have much more time to spend in her Thespian role. :)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Juch

#28 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 1:33 pm

You should let her do whatever she decides about Quiz Bowl, but please tell her what I said about that if she quits, then the terrorists have won (quote me).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

gsabc

#29 Post by gsabc » Wed May 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Bob Juch wrote:You should let her do whatever she decides about Quiz Bowl, but please tell her what I said about that if she quits, then the terrorists have won (quote me).
Not if they do much worse without her, or without others who might join but do not because of the stories about inadequate chaperonage. It argues that TPTB need to clean up their act or risk their standing in the Quiz Bowl ranks.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Bob Juch

#30 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 28, 2008 1:49 pm

gsabc wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:You should let her do whatever she decides about Quiz Bowl, but please tell her what I said about that if she quits, then the terrorists have won (quote me).
Not if they do much worse without her, or without others who might join but do not because of the stories about inadequate chaperonage. It argues that TPTB need to clean up their act or risk their standing in the Quiz Bowl ranks.
Well I also said, "Raise holy hell!"

You don't want her to learn to quit difficult situations.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

gsabc

#31 Post by gsabc » Wed May 28, 2008 1:52 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
gsabc wrote:
Well I also said, "Raise holy hell!"

You don't want her to learn to quit difficult situations.
I agree with that. You need to determine where your own line is between difficult situations and intolerable ones, though.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ghostjmf

#32 Post by ghostjmf » Wed May 28, 2008 4:11 pm

This sucks so huge. The jerk who accused her of being a slut during a game is right up there with the psycho roommate; maybe worse, because he's not a psycho, just a creep.

I have a friend who got a roommate at dance camp once who made rules about "you can't come in the room whenever I don't want you to because of my delicate sleep patterns; no coming back at all if you go to parties at night" (apparently the parties at night are worth the whole trip to some of the participants). I believe my friend complained to the management after a few nights & got a different room assignment.

Maddie should have, but she's young.

How on earth does someone who cuts themself get assigned a child room-mate & not an adult "watcher", anyway?

mellytu74

#33 Post by mellytu74 » Wed May 28, 2008 7:53 pm

PSM --

As others have said, you didn't F up.

The teachers did.

The school did.

Knowing the other girl's fraility, WHY didn't TPTB assign two women chaperones, one staying with each girl?

As much as Maddie has things together, she's still a kid.

She was put in a situation where she was given far more responsibility than was right, through no fault of her own. Through complete lack of foresight by the very people who are supposed to be protecting her.

Give them a tongue lashing in no undercertain terms.

peacock2121

#34 Post by peacock2121 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:31 am

I am sorry that you see this as your fuck up.

Maybe after a few days or weeks or months of distance, you will start to see something different.

I know that you know you can't be everywhere. I also know that you know you do have to let the reins go at some point.

I know that you know you have done all you can to have your girls be ready for managing their own reins.