Four Things

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

#101 Post by fantine33 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:16 am

clem21 wrote:D) FOUR PLACES WHERE I'D RATHER BE:

My Bed- Everybody likes me there

Ha, this is the best answer yet.

fantine33

Re: Four Things

#102 Post by fantine33 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:21 am

cindy.wellman wrote:I honestly don't think I knew that she was a Raiders fan. I am now sad.

* Edited to add: U is sad now too.
I could have sworn I told you this story before. Everybody thinks I just like the Raiders to be contrary, but that's not it (that's just a side perk, ha!).

When I was in first grade, my ancient (I thought at the time, she was probably mid 50's, but mid-50's then looked like 85 year olds do now) teacher said that I had to sit by myself because I was left-handed and couldn't learn to write with the rest of the class.

I was crying that night because I was trying to write with my right hand because I wanted to learn how to write so bad. Nobody in my family had ever been left-handed, so my Dad really didn't know what to say to make me feel better. So, he went to the fallback position and made a sports analogy! He told me that Kenny Stabler was the best quarterback in the NFL and he was left handed, so I should be proud and anybody that didn't like it could go to hell. Also that I should always be an individual and not go along with the rest of the right-handed herd.

I think he regretted both of those statements as the years went on. Ha!

So tell U to get happy and turn that frown upside down!

AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

#103 Post by AlphaDummy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:31 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:
A) FOUR PLACES I GO OVER AND OVER:

- The in-laws. That family has more birthday parties than I thought possible. And, of course, a game of sheepshead always seems to develop at some point during the afternoon...
I'm not sure if I should ask......what does a game of sheepshead involve? Surely not a sheep's head?
Oh, yes. And chicken feet, torches at midnight, and all sorts of spooky stuff.

Actually, it is a card game which is mostly unheard of beyond the Wisconsin state line. There are various ways to play, and I will not even try to give you specifics (you would not want me to make an attempt - trust me on this one). Suffice it to say that it is a social gambling game played best five-handed, involving taking tricks to score more points (that is lower-case "p"oints, BTW) than the other side. Usually accompanied by a fair share of imbibing, and a lot of good-natured ribbing concerning the other players' abilities, mental capacities, ancestry, and overall morals.
"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#104 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:30 pm

AlphaDummy wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:

- The in-laws. That family has more birthday parties than I thought possible. And, of course, a game of sheepshead always seems to develop at some point during the afternoon...
I'm not sure if I should ask......what does a game of sheepshead involve? Surely not a sheep's head?

Actually, it is a card game which is mostly unheard of beyond the Wisconsin state line. There are various ways to play, and I will not even try to give you specifics (you would not want me to make an attempt - trust me on this one). Suffice it to say that it is a social gambling game played best five-handed, involving taking tricks to score more points (that is lower-case "p"oints, BTW) than the other side. Usually accompanied by a fair share of imbibing, and a lot of good-natured ribbing concerning the other players' abilities, mental capacities, ancestry, and overall morals.
I would love to play this game with AD. Trash talk!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#105 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:24 am

AlphaDummy wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:

This sounds like the bored.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#106 Post by minimetoo26 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:45 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
AlphaDummy wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote: I'm not sure if I should ask......what does a game of sheepshead involve? Surely not a sheep's head?

This sounds like the bored.
Hold all calls! We have a winner!!!

And fantine: I grew up in a Raider household. Stabler was revered as a god. My mom even bought his book. And Madden's. My dad was stationed at Treasure Island and that was my mom's first experience with football since she was a furriner, and she was a rabid fan. One of my sisters still is, another is kinda/sorta and the other one and I gave up on the NFL a few years back. But there are Raider ornaments in the Christmas box.

Bob Juch

#107 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:48 am

minimetoo26 wrote:And fantine: I grew up in a Raider household. Stabler was revered as a god. My mom even bought his book. And Madden's. My dad was stationed at Treasure Island and that was my mom's first experience with football since she was a furriner, and she was a rabid fan. One of my sisters still is, another is kinda/sorta and the other one and I gave up on the NFL a few years back. But there are Raider ornaments in the Christmas box.
I knew there was something I liked about you! :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.