Lost finale?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Lost finale?

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 29, 2008 9:45 am

So is the actual season finale one hour at 10 pm tonight? With the shows at 8 and 9 just repeats? Or is it a one-hour repeat and then a two-hour finale?

Catfish

#2 Post by Catfish » Thu May 29, 2008 9:47 am

I think it's the latter. The ad also promises new footage of last week's episode in that first hour. I wonder whether the additions make it worth viewing again.
Catfish

themanintheseersuckersuit

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 am

9 to 11 is the new show
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Thu May 29, 2008 9:59 am

Nope, I know just where they're located.

www.finaledesserts.com
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 29, 2008 10:46 am

The finale is actually 9-11. I believe they have broken it up into two dramatically separable episodes (ie, different central themes and character flashback/forward) rather than one organic two hour episode. When you check the opening credits, you might see that they have two separate sets of credited writers and directors for each half.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 29, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks for the clarification, everyone!
Catfish wrote:The ad also promises new footage of last week's episode in that first hour. I wonder whether the additions make it worth viewing again.
NIMHO. An episode should be an episode. Adding a couple minutes of new footage to get us to watch a repeat is a cheap trick.

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Thu May 29, 2008 11:17 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Thanks for the clarification, everyone!
Catfish wrote:The ad also promises new footage of last week's episode in that first hour. I wonder whether the additions make it worth viewing again.
NIMHO. An episode should be an episode. Adding a couple minutes of new footage to get us to watch a repeat is a cheap trick.
Tell that to the marketers flogging the latest re-issue of the Indiana Jones movies.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Thu May 29, 2008 11:17 am

Marley says:

I agree. I can respect a newly released "director's cut" of a movie they feel the producers butchered over their objections, but nobody is butchering this TV show, I don't think. I know the people in control have said they "would have told us more about the people on the boat" if there hadn't been a writer's strike, but unless the episode is extremely different, are we going to miss anything we need to know before the finale? That would be a bad editing idea they made for the original broadcast, & their own fault.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 29, 2008 11:22 am

gsabc wrote:
Tell that to the marketers flogging the latest re-issue of the Indiana Jones movies.
I posted my thoughts about The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in that other thread and got pounded by Saucy, so I think I'll keep quiet about that now. :P

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 29, 2008 11:49 am

Because TV shows have to fit in a 30 or 60 minute time slot, there are always scenes that get cut out or shortened to make the time fit (There is about 41-42 minutes of actual footage on an average 60 minute show now, and that includes the opening credits)

So they can always come up with a scene that's a bit longer than what was shown originally and tout it as "new footage." Usually the "new" footage winds up replacing either coming attractions or the recap of previous shows. G-I-M-M-I-C-K

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu May 29, 2008 11:54 am

ghostjmf wrote: I agree. I can respect a newly released "director's cut" of a movie they feel the producers butchered over their objections, but nobody is butchering this TV show, I don't think.
The trend now is to release "unrated" versions of R- or PG-13 rated films to boost DVD sales. These unrated versions usually add a few seconds to a couple of minutes of gratuitous nudity or violence or, occasionally, language. If you want to here Bruce Willis do all the cussing in Die Hard 4, get the unrated DVD.

In most cases, you haven't missed much. Some movies do have longer cuts which are substantially different from the theatrical versions. Both Troy and Kingdom of Heaven have far more entertaining director's cuts available. Alexander is available in about four different versions, none of them any good. The definitive DVD of Blade Runner released a few months ago has a number of variations as well, I believe.

a1mamacat

#12 Post by a1mamacat » Thu May 29, 2008 12:08 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:
I posted my thoughts about The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in that other thread and got pounded by Saucy, so I think I'll keep quiet about that now. :P
pounded? Pounded?? POUNDED???

I don't Pound...Pounce perhaps, but never pound :wink:
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Thu May 29, 2008 12:13 pm

SSS says:
The definitive DVD of Blade Runner released a few months ago has a number of variations as well, I believe.
The definitive DVD of Blade Runner is one I would actually go for (as rental-not-buy, as I don't generally buy movies; my sister the designated film fan has actually never seen this, & in my estimation needs to); the director is on record as saying, as people have suspected all along, "they changed the ending". And also removed some clues to something that a science fiction fan had no problem sussing out anyway, namely that

(very big spoiler here; if you've never seen the movie, please don't read it)
Spoiler
Ford's character (Deckard?) is really a replicant himself.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 29, 2008 12:18 pm

a1mamacat wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote: Tell that to the marketers flogging the latest re-issue of the Indiana Jones movies.
pounded? Pounded?? POUNDED???

I don't Pound...Pounce perhaps, but never pound :wink:
Maybe you don't know your own strength. :)