I'd ordinarily moan about the Gamecock's football loss

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
themanintheseersuckersuit

I'd ordinarily moan about the Gamecock's football loss

#1 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:04 pm

but this is just too sad.

OCEAN ISLE BEACH, N.C. — Seven college students from the University of South Carolina and Clemson University were killed and another six were injured Sunday morning when flames roared through a North Carolina beach house early Sunday.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305739,00.html
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#2 Post by kayrharris » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:10 pm

I saw that. A parent's nightmare. I am truly grieving for all the families involved.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:41 pm

One of the lost is the child of a high school friend.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#4 Post by hermillion » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:07 pm

tmitsss, condolences to your friend. This is such a tragic event. Those kids were just starting their lives. I grieve for the families and friends of all the students.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana